• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Static Timing a 948 in a BE

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Some am I just titling at windmills or is it possible to static time a 948 with the engine in the car and radiator installed. I can't figure out if it is physically possible. One more try at starting after I installed a new set of Points and condenser. They were pitted after leaving ignition turned on overnight but likely still functional. Changed points and condenser out anyway. Guessing the only way to do this if it won't start would be to loosen up the dizzy bolt and try to make some changes till I can see if it will fire. Unless someone has a good alternative strategy.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK some booms and pops which is encouraging but not continuous running. Time to go back and recheck compression. Originally at 45 when I first tried. Got it up to 70. need to make sure I don't have a stuck valve or something. But some really good booms and a few backfires. Moved the timing a few clicks and getting booms instead of backfires. Now to get some continuous booms.

dklawson

Yoda
I have not worked on a 948. Is that the engine with the front timing marks only visible from below? If so, can you see marks?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've done it, though it's been a while and that engine may have had a timing pointer mod so it had one on the top (I can't remember).

If nothing else, set the engine where you need it to be as far as the timing marks, and make a temporary mark on the pulley top where you can see it to check the static timing. Since you're not running the engine while checking this, some masking tape would likely be accurate enough.

Whatever engineer decided the timing marks should be on the bottom...

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Guys i'll have at it again tomorrow but you literally at least with these eyes cannot see the timing marks on the pulley. The 948 has so small an opening to peer through you can't be under there and get this done by yourself. The up down squeeze under there, peer up there, crapnin your face and eyes, yada, yada, yada...But after a night to cogitate upon it I will persevere.

dklawson

Yoda
As I mentioned, I have not worked on a 948 so I was only going by hearsay on how hard the marks were to see.

The early Mini did not have any front timing marks so you had to remove an access plug to see timing marks on the flywheel (typically using a mirror). I made a front pulley marker for my Mini, Jeff at Advanced Distributors makes one for the inline A-series. It probably would be worth buying or making a similar kit for your car.

The link below is to Jeff's kit. It's for a 1275. However, there is nothing to prevent you from using the concept. Make a pointer wire and attach it to the timing chain cover, find TDC for #1, make a punch mark on the front pulley where the pointer is aimed. From then on you could use an advance-type timing light to set the dynamic timing anywhere you want. You could make a second punch mark on the pulley (if you want) for 5 or 8 BTDC which are good values for static timing just to get the engine started.

https://advanceddistributors.mybisi.com/product/1275-midget-sprite-timing-tape-kit

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Doug,
We got it going this AM. I had help from two Mini Guys this am and we were able to get static timing done.This engine is temporary until my 1275 gets done but we were able to get it close by watching the engine turn over, location of the rotor, and a 12V Test light. As soon as we put it back together turned the key and the Bendix started kicking out. AhHa we were getting closer. After playing with choke and throttle and about 25-40 start attempts the engine caught. Really rough at first and as the engine warmed up things smoothed out. Carbs were synched, engine idles smoothly, sounds good, and feels like power is there. I am "chuffed."

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
WOOHOO!! This merits a banana party.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Drew, You can't believe the way I felt when the engine started to sputter and even out and then all of a sudden it was go, go go. Glad I had the help today as I was at the end of my brain power on this one. I was way, way off on the dizzy position. But after Paul played with the carbs I can walk out there right now and pull the start button and Bugsy I know will fire up on about 1/2 a turn of the crank. I am so impressed and engine sounds really, really strong. Still up on jack stands but wheels will go on maybe as soon as tomorrow night. Thinking 2 weeks until I can get to the BMV for an Out of State Inspection, and to get an OH Title issued and Road Legal. Now Bugsy may indeed sneak out around my neighborhood on a Test Drive before then, after all officer I needed to see if the car would stop and shift before I actually got him on the road... Well we'll see. Punchlist got one important item taken off of the list. And as I walked back outside to check, no drips under the engine. Wait a minute better make sure that's an A-Series under that bonnet.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That is a great feeling. Nothing like knowing you can drive.

Don't be too scared of no leaks (well, check the oil level just in case). Whoever build the 1275 in my Morris did a really good job, it really doesn't leak any real amount.

Now I'm waiting for that first drive around the block posting. I know I'd be tempted to at least run it up the street.

dklawson

Yoda
Congratulations!

I hope the rest of the process for getting the car back on the road goes smoothly!