• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Timing Chain Tensioner - again

mt10flyer

Country flag
For the 4th time now, my timing chain tensioner broke and wore a hole through the timing chain cover. I have replaced the pin, the tensioner each time. I was lucky enough to find a cover on EBAY the last time because the original looked like Swiss cheese.. The location where the tensioner makes contact with the cover needs to be smooth. Now there is wear there which probably keeps the tensioner (which is just spring steel really) from being able to flex properly. It then fails and rattles around until the chain shoves it though the cover...again. I heard it break while I was on the road and by the time I got home oil was leaking out the new hole like the Exxon Valdez.

There HAS to be a better solution to this. I had a MGB which had an acceptable, heavy duty tensioner in comparison. Of course that would be a relatively involved modification. I am still considering it. Anyone? Ideas?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
We have 2 issues going on with these tensioners. First, we have had a rash of non-heat treated tensioners, that are the metal equivalent of butter. Then, the chains are not finished like they once were. The links are stamped, and no smoothing is done...so the links are just like chain-saw teeth. It sounds like in your case you also had a sharp edge on the tensioner which also saws into the cover.

Study the new tensioner closely. If you can easily bend it out of shape, then it is not properly heat treated. It should be Rockwell 60 or harder, which will snap rather than bend. Then, take 220 grit paper to the outside of the chain links and polish them smooth, to eliminate all sharp edges. Of course the tensioner should be polished where it contacts the cover, and the cover must also be smooth. The motion of tensioner on cover should be little or none, unless the chain starts to cut into it. The chain wears slowly, so the tensioner should move only slowly along the cover as the chain spreads.

Fern

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
The tensioner design seems to work well for most of us. Any abrasions on the chain that would wear out the tensioner?
Hope you you find the cause.
good luck!
Fern

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Never thought of polishing the chain before, as they used to be OK as purchased. But the ol mad dog
has an idea. When polishing a crankshaft(not the journals) to remove casting roughness, I finish with
1000 grit on a locked sander(set to grind) This yields a mirror finish when done, and is very fast .
CJD is right, be careful of any AM bits like this. Tensioners can NOT be fashioned from old tin cans.
Mad dog

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
This is just a maybe, but when the stud for the tensioner is threaded into its threads on the bear plate there are only about 3 threads that penetrate into the bear plate. I noticed once that the stud was not perpendicular to the bear plate surface, so the tensioner came onto the cover at an angle. I do not remember what I did to fix it. I probably used a different bear plate.

steve

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
This is just a maybe, but when the stud for the tensioner is threaded into its threads on the bear plate there are only about 3 threads that penetrate into the bear plate. I noticed once that the stud was not perpendicular to the bear plate surface, so the tensioner came onto the cover at an angle. I do not remember what I did to fix it. I probably used a different bear plate.

steve
Would Locktite on those threads help to keep the stud perpendicular?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Would Locktite on those threads help to keep the stud perpendicular?
Originally that stud was pinned with a punch. So if it has been removed, it is very likely that the threads on both the stud and plate have been damaged.
Charley

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
If the stud is bent (not 90 degrees ) replace it and use the serious Loctite threadlocker , a bent stud wont
hit the hole in the timing cover.
Mad dog

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
If the stud is bent (not 90 degrees ) replace it and use the serious Loctite threadlocker , a bent stud wont
hit the hole in the timing cover.
Mad dog In Steves post was he talking about the timing cover support called the pedestal or the timing chain tensioner pin? I thought he meant the tensioner pin was bent?

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I believe that the stud was installed in factory, onto the plate and "staked" from the
backside to secure it. This was in pre Loctite days. .This is what Charley is calling" pinning"
also referred to as "swaged".
Not every thing done at the factory is to be "worshipped" as gospel. There have been lots
of advances in technology in the last 70 years. I say use them where needed.!!
Mad dog

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I did not trust my stud, so I gave it a quick tack on the back side of the plate with the welder. Permanent Loctite!

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
You are looking at Charleys post. Scroll up a bit to Steve's post SP3. Steve is talking about the tensioner pin,the shall pin, bending so it throws the tensioner out of alignment causing the timing chain to rub against the timing cover. You and Charlie must be talking about the pedestal stud that just supports the timing cover but has nothing to do with the chain rubbing against the cover which is what Steve is referring to.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm way late joining all this, but just some thoughts.

First, the old front plates did have the tensioner post machined and secured into place, perhaps welded. The new front plates and tensioner post call for them to be screwed in. I couldn't get comfortable with just loctite, and rather than have it welded (the new plates are aluminum) I did what my machine shop recommended--I peened the back of the post. But guess what? I couldn't trust that because my trusted mechanic friend said I should've use green loctite before peening, so I just used my old plate and worked it as flat and plumb as I possibly could. My new, gleaming "Moss" front plate sits on the shop floor to this day as if I'll use it after I come back reincarnated as a young beautiful female sports car enthusiast 40 years from now.

Second, the only time I wore a hole in my timing cover from a new tensioner was when I forgot to install the proper width washer behind the cotter pin on the tensioner post. I remember watching the oil running down the front of the timing cover and my dad walking up to congratulate me on how quickly I had replaced my suspension bushings, timing chain, front cover gasket and all that stuff. He then looked over my shoulder and said, "That's not a hole is it?"

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I have seen numerous timing covers worn through, or so badly as to not be trustworthy. High mileage
and poor maintenance takes a toll. A touch with the mig welder and dressed down to flush put it right.
I would say that paying attention to the sealing of the stud and its nut is something often neglected ,
causing one more oil leak than necessary.....
Mad dog