• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone have a timing chain cover?

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am looking for a replacement timing cover for my 1275, one without the breather. If you have one you can spare, let me know!

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'll take one, thanks Richard. Do you take Paypal?

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I didn't know there was another Bugeye in town. I heard the owner of Sierra Transmissions had one that was off the road.
Edd

cdsmith

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Well I guess there are at least two Bugeyes in town... If you see a white one running around that's me - although with the rain of late I won't be out an about anytime soon...
cd

Worth mentioning, all the 1275 timing covers have the breather can on them, this was done because the 1275, unlike the 948 and 1098 engines had lifer cover on the side of the engine and those engines were breathed there, the 1275 has no lifter covers, so they needed to find another place breath crankcase gases. The 948 timing cover had the felt seal with no breather, the 1098 had a real seal and no breather. FWIW, you would never want to run a non breather can timing cover on a 1275, unless you are relieving crankcase gases at another location (like the mech fuel pump blank), not counting the valve cover, it will not be enough by itself.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Odd, most cars have breathers at the valve cover and thats it. Why does the 1275 need such ventilation? Is there that much blow by?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Cause we do not have a real rear oil seal. Check out a scroll seal.

To add to what Jack said.

I can't speak for other engines, but all the A series engines from the 948 to the 1098 to the 1275 have to have some sort of crankcase breathing beyond the valve cover, and when the lifter covers were elminated in the 1275 to make a stronger block for the bigger displacment, all you have to get crankcase gases out of the block is the very small 1275 pushord holes, and that is not nearly enough, so the factory had to find a new place to breath the block, the vent can on the timing cover was their answer. If you use a early no vent can timing cover on a 1275 A series engine, chances are you will spew oil out the back, not a good idea, trust me this something I've put to the test over the years building these engines. You have to breath the A series somewhere on the block. If you want the look of the earlier timing cover, and your block has the bolt on mech. fuel pump blanking plate (not all 1275 engines do) you can do this, use the 1098 rubber seal timing cover (no can) and then get one of those aluminum breather blocks Mini Mania sells that goes where the mech. fuel pump blanking plate goes, that piece is baffled and allows the use of a barbed or AN fitting for hose to breath the crankcase directly from the block, I've used them on the race engines. Bottom line, you got to let these engines breath or they will force oil past the rear scroll, and possibly even blow out gaskets.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hap has more words left to use than I do, after all he is 20 years younger. LOL

Miss Agatha is useing the 1098 cover, a rocker arm cover breather, and a breather block where the fuel pump belongs.