• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

EFI is FINISHED!!

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

I now consider the EFI project finished! I dialled in the high HP/boosted part of the fuelling table this weekend and burned the changes to the chip. The computer is now stand-alone and totally in control of the engine. Spark timing and air-fuel ratio are controlled and yield excellent results. 10lbs of boost without pinging on 91 octane!!!
Clean plugs and easy cold starts.
Anyone who says you can't fuel inject an A-series is welcome to stop by and take a ride with me.
I took a 60 mile ride yeaterday and the performance was excellent, mileage to follow with next fillup. Gas mileage appears to be in the neighborhood of 30MPG.
The only remaining detail is to fabricate an air cleaner. Trivial.

Glen Byrns

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
How's the power?

OP
Glen_B

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
The power is, how shall I put this?, AWESOME. This car has always had the power to dust any other conventional carburetted Spridget. Now its faster. No stagger when I jump on the pedal and the boost rises quickly to 10 lbs.
If its your thing, you could easily stand the car in a puddle of its smoking rubber.
I haven't plugged in the G-tech yet, but the butt-dyno says its at least 110HP flywheel. Best is the mid to high throttle response. Stomp on it in third and it still jumps up and pulls like a Clydesdale. Torque is VERY good.
With the exception of the up-turned noses of the originality crowd, I can't see the downside of this project. Those up-turned noses can only be seen for a second or two before they get real small in the rearview.
My bigget hope is that I've replaced my last piston. Adjustable timing, mixture and over-rev controls are built into the computer and are my shield now.

Glen Byrns

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice work, Glen. Faster is good. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sounds like it was a good move.

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
My hero!

OP
Glen_B

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
EFI Specifics:

Single Lucas 44lb/hr injector shoots into the short adaptor tube that links the turbo and the Ford 1.9L throttle body.
Summit Racing fuel pump and boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator. Megasquirt v3.0 running MS&Extra code, with relay board. GM sensors placed in head and intake manifold for intake and coolant temps. (open element sensor in the intake for fast response).
Dizzy is fixed, Crane optical sensor used to send tach signal to computer. Timing is set in the timing tables to vary between 49deg BTDC at low loads or cruise to a low of 22deg BTDC at 10 lbs of boost.
Closed loop mixture control based on the Innovative motorsports LC-1 wide-band sensor allows the use of an Air/fuel ratio table that I have set for 16:1 under low loads up to 12.8:1 at 10lbs of boost.

I'll post some pics over the next few days. I drove it to work today........WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!

Glen Byrns

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
This sounds really fascinating. I'd love to read a detailed description of the project, what all the considerations and choices were, if you ever feel like writing it up. Sounds like this would make a great web page.