• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Turbo EFI progress

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
I'm entering the final phase of the project at last. Both spark and fuel are now totally under control of the Megasquirt computer. Fine tuning of the boosted areas of the fuel and spark maps is all that remains. Dropping advance to 12deg at 10lbs of boost was too much and the engine would sag every time I pressed it. Now, with advance set to 22deg at 10 lbs of boost, things are getting pretty good.
Cold start is dialled in. Three cranks of the motor and it starts and idles. I can pull out of the driveway after a few seconds. I log each run and use a program to analyze the log when I get home, and then re-tweak the fuel and spark tables based on the analysis.
The engine runs great, the plugs look perfect and the mileage is excellent. Once the boost areas of the tables are done......LOOK OUT!!! The car already drives better than it ever has and the power, up to the boost phase, is excellent.
At this point in time, a word for the armchair experts about "Charge Robbing", "Siamese Porting", and "Turbo-lag",
talk is cheap but results come from work and first-hand experience. All of the above are very minor nits unworthy of being picked. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif

Glen Byrns

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
I can see by all the responses that there isn't too much intrest in partially completed projects :smile: As for me, I thoroughly expect to put a MS with MJ on mine at one point... that is after the body is together and I get it running. No turbo though. I'm painting it yellow again too.
When the time comes, I hope to get whatever help necessary from this forum. (and the MS forum)
Yours is what I hope mine will be like when it's finished, except of course that gas is about $5 per gallon here so the engine is a bit tame.

V

vagt6

Donn, really interesting project there, you're obviously a skilled technician.

It seems that many of the regular posters here tend to keep their modifications a bit more period-correct. Not too many discussions about EFI, turbocharging.

However, I'm sure everyone finds your project interesting and I hope you continue to keep us posted on your progress.

Please post lots of photos, if you can.

Good luck!

Morris

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]talk is cheap but results come from work and first-hand experience.[/QUOTE]

Here-here!

I have a little thing I like to say about the difference between a "practical engineer" and a "technical engineer."

A practical engineer can take a pile of metal and parts and make something that works while a technical engineer can prove on paper why what the practical engineer just did is impossible.

Of course, technical engineers tend to have more fingers than practical engineers /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I read the projects, but mostly have no clue as to what is going on but that is is fun stuff if you are so inclined.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Glen and Donn:

Great stuff!
I'd really like to see some data and pictures when they become available.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Morris said:
I have a little thing I like to say about the difference between a "practical engineer" and a "technical engineer
That's exactly why I worked as a "foreign car" mechanic for 17 years between Massachusetts, Maryland, Virginia and Denmark, then I did a Bachelors in Mechanical engineering (Construction and Design) and a Masters in Mechanical engineering (Control systems) at the Technical University of Denmark (yeah and that was like - mostly in Danish)
Now I work in the research department for MAN B&W ship engines (electronic engine control systems)
But anyway, I hope I'm qualified enough to get this thing done at one point.

Bugeye58

Yoda
DewDrop said:

Hi, DewDrop! Glad to see you are posting messages.
Have you introduced yourself yet?
I know who you are, but maybe other people would like to meet you too.
Make sure your Dad stays busy on his car!!
Jeff

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Would it be possible to discuss how you go about tweaking the ignition map? I am getting ready to install a MJ unit on my APT A-series. I have no problem with the construction and installation of the system, but I am unsure of how I will go about tuning: do you just add advance across the whole map/all cells or what? Add advance until it knocks and then back off? What did you use as your base map, the one on the MJLJ site?

I have a new custom curved dist. with Pertronix set up by APT on their engine dyno to use as a baseline. I figure to keep the dist in place until the MJ is up and running well, so I can swap between the two by unplugging wires. I have dyno sheets of the engine, but will now be using a rolling road type dyno since the engine will be in the car. This way I hope to get good dyno pulls on each ignition back to back on the same day for a true comparison/baseline.

Any pics of your 36-1 wheel installation? Same with the VR sensor bracket, any pics? I have my MJ built and tested and all the Ford parts and will be doing the install in a couple of weeks.

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Thanks, Donn, I read that one as it developed. I was thinking more along the lines of a procedure for tuning. Do you just add advance until it knocks? I don't have the knowledge of ignition theory like you guys do and I am not sure how to proceed w/o doing damage. I was just wondering if those with MJ/MS systems like mine could shed some light.

By using a timing light I should be able to plot the curve of the current dist. as a starting point. I also know that the base map from MJ will start and run the car safely according to other forums. I can compare the two and go from there.

How much is a big move when tuning a NA engine, 5 degrees at a time? Would that change show up on a dyno? I would feel a bit better if there was a knock sensor, but at least I don't run a turbo like you guys. My intention is to eventually bolt on a blower pulling through a Ducati? throttle body. I hoped that building the car with a MJ 1st would give me the skills needed to build the MS and it's installation.