• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Megasquirt EFI on bugeye

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
Sunday's test drive was a success, so I can say that it works!
To address problems with 91 octane pump gas and the turbocharger trying to work well with a carburettor, I built and installed a fuel injection computer system(Megasquirt) and built all the necessary bits to convert a turbocharged 1275 A-series motor to fuel injection.

As of Sunday, it starts, warms up nicely, and runs smoothly up to 6K RPM and 80 MPH. I've not yet tuned the high HP/high RPM part of the table, just the part that covers most normal driving. This weekend I'll take it to a local climb and dial in the "boost" part of the fueling table.

A very exciting two month project, a potential improvement in mileage and performance, and reduced risk of toasting another piston set when "boosting" a bit too much.

Glen Byrns

abe

Freshman Member
Hey Glen i saw your location and thought I'd say hello. I went to ucd for undergrad. I'll be visiting davis for a weekend in december because my fiance is doing her masters there now.

I read your post and never thought you could turbo an A-series. I see you had to get a fuel injector system going that sounds like fun. Keep posting on it and maybe some resources on how you successfully managed to force induct on a higher compression 1275. By the way i'm new at all this and i own a 58 bugeye with 948cc. barely starting to rebuild.

what kind of carb and what computer system for fuel injection?

abe

Morris

Yoda
Congrats Glen! That is awesome news! I wish my EFI install were going as well. However, I think I may have found a new clue as what is causing my grief.

OP
Glen_B

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
Hi Abe,
Feel free to stop by when you're in town. We'll take Bugsy out for a spin and ruin you for 948s forever.
This car ran as a SU carburettor-fed turbocharged 1275 since the early 70's. The compression is very important. This motor was built to have a CR of ~8:1(most recent build). If you are going to super or turbocharge a motor, I think it should be built with that in mind to address the CR and oil supply issues. Not "problems", but "issues".
Its nice to be able to get on the interstate and get straight up to 80 MPH and then bomb up to Tahoe from sea-level with only an occasional shift down to fourth.
I've heard it can also be fun to smoke the Ricer-boys at stop lights with a 50 year-old car, but I wouldn't know about that,officer. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Glen Byrns

abe

Freshman Member
yeah i'll have to stop by and check out Bugsy. I'll be up only for the first weekend of december. I'm flying in with my fiance on November 30 and we're flying back to so cal on Sunday the 2nd of December. PM me with your info so i can pay a visit. and yeah you should be careful with the PD in davis, they don't tolerate much up there.

abe

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Congrats! I want to upgrade the Datsun A15 in my Bugeye to fuel injection.....it would make a huge difference for me at this altitude. I wish I could have swung up on my California trip to visit, but I just didn't have the time. The next time I am in the neighborhood though, I'll stop by.....I really want to check out your car! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Morris

Yoda
Mr Sprite,

Do you have SUs on your A15?

There is a feature in MSnS Extra that will allow you to connect an extra MAP sensor vented to ambient pressure and make constant adjustments to your fuel/spark tables based on outside air pressure. Would be perfect for a mountaineer such as yourself.

OP
Glen_B

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
Mr. Sprite,

The bugeye is a testbed before I do the same for my wife's Morris Traveler with the A24 Datsun engine. I've already started to accumulate the parts to do the conversion later this winter.
You might want to look at the Subaru throttle body. I found one at the pick and pull that will make life much easier. Came with injector, TPS sensor, idle air. Nice little piece that will require only making an adaptor plate to join it to the original intake manifold. And the Subaru engine was about the same displacement and HP, so the injector should be spot-on for flow rate. Only work as hard as you have to!

Glen Byrns

OP
Glen_B

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
Sorry,

I don't recall the year or model of Subaru. I just walked the row and looked for a TB that was hanging off ready to pick and checked to see that the listed engine displacement was between 1.5 and 2 liters. I can e-mail you a pic of the TB if you like. I did notice that many of the Subies ahd the same TB. I like to find parts already removed by others to get to something else. Sometimes a quick check of the row will save me the work of actually doing anything resembling work.

Glen

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Morris said:
Mr Sprite,

Do you have SUs on your A15?

There is a feature in MSnS Extra that will allow you to connect an extra MAP sensor vented to ambient pressure and make constant adjustments to your fuel/spark tables based on outside air pressure. Would be perfect for a mountaineer such as yourself.

Yep....I have twin Hitachi SU's (35mm). I will look into this.....I have all kinds of small driveability issues up here. It seems I'm always fiddling with the carbs.

The Subaru thing intrigues me too.....I will look into that as well. Thanks!