• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

EFI Megasquirt help available

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
If anyone needs a hand setting up Megasquirt for a 1275, let me know. I've had mine running as a daily driver since 2008 and can assist with getting some of the bugs worked out.
I'm sure my setup is unique as will be yours, but the general trend of the VE and spark tables as well as the A/F target tables if you use a wideband sensor will be a big help.

Glen Byrns

G

More folks should try MS. Where do you have your injectors.? Got pics?

Country flag
Glen, I've started acquiring parts. I just need some free time to start work. Glad to know yours is still running well.

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
Hey Glen,

You know my turbo efi is up and running on MS. But I for one would be interested to see your VE and spark maps if you didn't mind. I've still been having some small issues with tuning and seeing your setup could be enlightening. I'm not sure my O2 is reading properly which wants to throw off the "autotune" feature of TunerStudio. I have a registered version of MegaLogViewer so maybe a .msl (log) file would let me see the maps and some real time driving data.

Trevor and everyone else,

I'm be more than happy to share my stuff as well. :laugh:

JACK

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Glen - how did you address the siamesed port question? and could you (please and thank-you) advise as to what you're using for an intake manifold, throttle bodies, and where you put the injectors? And are you using a timing wheel or a feed off the distributor? And if Bigfoot is real, and where Elvis is living, and all the other great questions of our time?
Thanks
Doug

Country flag
Glen didn't mention that his car is turbo charged as well. It is a suck through setup so he is only running a single injector, and last time I saw the car it was triggering the ignition via the distributor with a shutter eye (IIRC).

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the info Trevor - a turbo is sure one way to fix the siamese problem!!
Kellysguy: which Harley muffler are you using? comments on fitting and clearance and sound and such-like?
Re Injectors: stopped by at SDS/Racetech just outside of Calgary and bought one each of their large (takes standard (eg Ford) injectors) and small injector bosses (available steel or aluminum)as samples to see if it would be possible to fit them to our old BMW 2002 with dual side draft Mikunis and convert it to Megasquirt; tried holding them up to a gooseneck intake manifold to put a Weber DCOE onto a Spridget engine, and looks like that would work. Have a look at their web-page at https://www.sdsefi.com/ to see what they look like. Small shop (about 4 guys when we stopped by); really nice quality bits and pieces.
Doug

G

Softail "bullet shaped" muffler ('07 IIRC). Center baffle knocked out. (it pushes straight out). I cut the factory flange off the muffler as the factory 1500 pipe will go right inside the muffler about 6" with a nice pressed fit. I then welded it up to the pipe. You can use adapters but I don't like that.

Not loud at all, but I am noticing 1275's seem to be louder than 1500's. I local guy has the straight through sports muffler on his 1275 and it's allot louder than mine. Mine is straight through now too, so you would think they would both be similarly loud but mine is quiet. Folks are really suprised to find out it's an "open" muffler. I don't know it it's the stroke difference or the fact it's a 7.5 to 1 motor but it is quiter.

A Harley muffler is too restrictive w/o punching the baffle out IMO as it is designed to flow half the volume on a bike at the same RPM's.

OP
Glen_B

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
I haven't yet managed to link in a pic, but I'll try again at the end of this note.
The intake and exhaust manifolds are custom made, I welded them together of mild steel and made to fit the Rayjay turbocharger. A short adapter "throat"links the turbo to a Ford 1.9l TB. A pair of Lucas 38lb/hr injectors are mounted in the adapter to spray into the turbo (wet-turbo setup). Only one injector proved necessary and the other is unplugged and kept as a spare. The ignition is signaled by a Crane Cams optical trigger in the dizzy which is locked down to prevent any advance (all handled by the timing table). A boost indexed fuel pressure regulator and LC-1 wide-band O2 sensor are part of the set-up.
The siamese port blather is not a factor as far as my spark plugs can tell, I read them from time to time. One of those theoretical points that make for great arguments but matter little in the real world.
If I can master photo insertion I'll post full pics and a link to a movie of it running so you can hear the growl/whine of the turbo/glass pack combo. Low and throaty.
Avonbar turbo pistons, 1.5 roller rockers, custom
APT turbo cam, BIG valves, Gilmer belt timing gear. Alum radiator, elec fan only.

OP
Glen_B

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
Did it! :banana: got the pics to work!
I'll try to figure out how to post screen shotsbof the MS tables and screens next.

finalefi.jpg

bugeyeefi002.jpg

bugeyeefi046.jpg

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh well done in deedee.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Shoot! I'm jealous!
Any idea what your hp output is? acceleration times? Intellectual curiosity only at my end, I'm afraid.

Doug

G

Check out Glen's Garage first. Do some homework as there are a few differnt versions. You may want simple as possible or maybe something more advanced. Best bet is buying an assembled unit IMO. I'll probably do it one day. I've had the kit for 5 years now.

G

Don't forget, you'll need pump, sensors, harness and all the other fixin's too. You don't "need" the relay board but IMO it's a good idea. You'll want the stim kit too if you're assembling yourself.

You may be able to section a Z car intake manifold to fit.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for that shopping list, I figured that there would be more stuff needed.
I was thinking of using a Sentra intake (with FI already) since it is the same engine as the 210
BillM

Morris

Yoda
IMHO, don't waste time with the relay board. You don't need it. It's just something extra to buy and it looks like a science fair project.

Do invest in the wiring harness kit.

https://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/1239-megasquirt-wiring-harness-ms1-ms2-ms3-ready-p-43.html

I would gladly pay $90 bucks for all the time I spent building my own harness only to be unhappy with my work. And now all the wire I bought at the autoparts store is starting to rot.

The fuel pump situation can be a pain, but after several attempts I came up with a situation that works well for me. I have a small pump that feeds a large filter. The large filter acts as a swirl pot for the high pressure efi pump. Without this, my car would starve for fuel every time I pulled a hard corner with less than half a tank.

Do invest in a wide band O2 sensor. I use this one:

https://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/1239-megasquirt-wiring-harness-ms1-ms2-ms3-ready-p-43.html

Just be sure to never ever start the car with the O2 sensor unconnected to the harness. Your sensor will be immediately fried. And new senors are expensive. I am on my third. D'oh!

Get an old beater laptop with a serial port on it. I had one, until I sat on it. It worked great up until then. Now I use my "day to day" laptop with a usb-serial adapter. The usb-serial adapter causes all kinds of problems.

If you really want to build the Megasquirt itself for the fun of it, go for it. But if you are only buying the kit to save money... don't do it. You will be glad you bought the assembled unit. The project offers plenty of soldering opportunities without assembling the kit I assure you. I saw a pretty good deal on a MicroSquirt unit on eBay the other day.

Oh... also make plans to control your spark with the MS as well. Of all the mods I have made to my car, that has yielded the most performance gain (according to the butt-dyno).