• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

brake pedal push rod adustment - YIKES !

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Learn as you go. But be safe doing so. Yikes, I may be my own worst enemey. My gas, break and clutch pedals do not line up. Gas and clutch do not seem to have any adjustments, however I found there is a pushrod with a fork end going to the break pedal. That was treaded and adjustable. Cool, I'll just undue the fork from the pedal, keep screwing the push rod till it lines up with the gas pedal and reattach it. I'm so proud I figured something out by myself. (my car is still in the body shop, not drivable). Well today I was talking to a Healey shop in Oakland and told my story. That's not an adjustment for the pedals he said. Yikes! I thought. It's an adjustment for the master cylinder. Being embaressed, I kept my mouth shut about any other things I am proud of. OK folks, what did I do? Who knows how many turns I gave it to line it up. I guess I need to screw it back to where it was? What do I do, to make my car a safe driver again? What the heck happens with that adjustment?

chuck1006

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi,
The gas pedal is adjusted with the linkage under the hood. There it a setting distance that you should find in a manual but I am sure someone will respond soon with details. I don't know who you took it to but I don't think there was a problem with the adjustment you made. You may need to check the condition of your brake and clutch master cylinders, fluid levels, etc.
Best of luck,
Chuck

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Roger,
As you shorten the push rod to lower the pedal you are reducing the available master cylinder stroke. Not as much pedal before hitting bottom.

If you readjust it, make sure that there is still a little free play in the pedal. That the master cylinder is free to fully return. If not, the internal bleed port will not uncover to allow pressure back out of the brake system.
D

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
The adjustment was to bring the pedal forward to meet the gas. Does that mean I will have to push farther, till the breaks start to grab?

Here's what I am trying to do. Line all the pedals up. Currently, the clutch is closest to the firewall, followed by the brake then gas. I would like all the pedals as far forward as possible, for I am 5'5". I have the seat all the way forward and it's a strech to get the clutch all the way down. I almost slide forward a tad, to complete it. I would be happy if I could move all the pedals forward and lined up. Any suggestions? Thank you all, Roger

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
I'm a little confused by your definitions of forward. If by forward, you mean toward the firewall, I would think this would make the pedals harder to reach. Lengthening the pushrod would move the pedal back toward the driver but there is a limit as I said above. You don't want the bleed port blocked when the pedal is in full return.

The easiest solution would be to buy or make pedal extensions to move the pedals back toward the driver. See this topic:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthread...=true#Post83530
D

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Roger, I wouldn't be too concerned about lining all the pedals up. It's more important that they do what they are intended to do. There are pedal extensions available that assist shorter drivers in reaching the pedals. The current pedals have two bolts holding them on. You merely unbolt them and add the extenders then re-bolt the pedal on. You could make them yourself, not to difficult.
Good Luck.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Sorry for the confusion. Let me try again.

I moved the break pedal away from the firewall, towards the seat. In attempt to bring the pedal towards the seat, in order to line it up with the gas pedal and make it a shorter distance for my extended leg.

I guess I will have more push travel to engage the brakes now? Is that the purpose of that rod? To adjust pedal distance/feel? Now the end result will be that the pedal will end up being pushed to where it used to be, to stop the car?

I was trying to get the pedal closer to the seat, but if it ends up that all I have done is now having to push the pedal a longer distance before the car stops, then I have failed in my attempt to shorten the distance my leg has to be extended.

Country flag
It may be easier to move the seat forward giving equal access to all the pedals. I think you can re-drill holes in the seat frame and re-attach it more forward on the track.

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Just a small point here, but I have noticed many old Healeys don't have the rubber part on the brake and clutch pedals. Make sure you have them on - they would give you I am guessing here another 1/4 inch or so toward you very easily. I do acknowledge, though that this isn't much, but is worth noting.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]

I moved the brake pedal away from the firewall, towards the seat. In attempt to bring the pedal towards the seat, in order to line it up with the gas pedal and make it a shorter distance for my extended leg.

I guess I will have more push travel to engage the brakes now? Now the end result will be that the pedal will end up being pushed to where it used to be, to stop the car?

[/ QUOTE ]
The end result will be that you do not have to push the pedal as far to stop. But there are limits to how far you can extend the rod, as I noted above. Move the seat mounts or get pedal extensions.
D