• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Young people/old cars

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I was at a street show (cars parked along the main street of a town) and talked with 3 young men. In a few minutes of talking about cars I was overwhelmed by their knowledge of old cars including British but mainly 60's muscle cars. I asked their age and they were all about 22 years old. One drove a 1971 Mustang, the other two had similar cars.

I assumed anyone that age knew only about 1990's Honda Accords with 20,000 watts of stereo and twin turbo with $8000 worth of wheels.

I was really impressed and glad to see young people into old cars.

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
It seems, as a general rule, that people that own older collectable cars, gravitate toward cars that they lusted over as teenagers, but were unable to afford then.

As far as our Mini Club is concerned, a few years ago, most of our members were the grey-hair set....now things have changed. With the advent of the new MINI, many younger MINI owners have joined, and once they've seen our classic Minis, have just gotta have one.

I suspect that this is more than just a local phenomenon. Since the new MINI has come on the market, prices of classic Minis has skyrocketed.

Bugeye58

Yoda
I used to work with a female engineer, in her mid 20's, that could field strip a '48 Packard in nothing flat! She thought my cars were cute, but too small for her tastes.
At the time, she owned two '48's, and a '51 Packard land barge.
Jeff

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Bruce,

I'm one of those young-uns, about ten years older than the guys you talked to though. I'm seriously into cars that were built years before I was even born, and particularly cars that many collectors of all ages tend to ignore, hooray for the "orphan" cars...

As for talk of the Mini earlier, I've seen lots of youths here in Canada into the classic Mini. Many of them who are in their 20's own examples and many more want them, it helps that 1970's Mini 1000's are still readily available up here as Canadian sales of the Mini continued until 1980, 13 years longer than in the States.

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was really impressed and glad to see young people into old cars.

Not surprising...those young guys driving Model-T's and '36 Fords...were not driving them when they were young...

The fellow that installed my interior for my BJ8 was in his 20's...he prefer's older cars...classics he calls them...easier to work on to...he also could field strip a Healey...it's great isn't it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bruce,

I am hurt. I'm only 23 and I know nothing about honda's sound systems or $8000 wheels. I do know quit a bit about Internationals from the 30s to the 60s, am knowledgeable about duesy's, packards, studebakers, ferrari's, jag's, triumph's, and some maserati's. As for 60's cars I know a little about buick's and mopar's, as for ford's I know enough to never want a post war model.

Bugeye58

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
as for ford's I know enough to never want a post war model.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here, but I'm referring to the Spanish-American War!
Jeff

mongoose

At 19, I bought a car that was 8 years older than me. I still own that car 17 years later.

You do the math.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

rloewy

Freshman Member
At 16 I got a Jeep 8 years older than me. 2 Days later it was stolen.

Now, this is math!

Ron.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
AT 18, I bought a two-year old '67 Sprite. Still have it (still more math fun).

rloewy: Nice fleet! Welcome!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well I'd probably in the young category with cars 4 and 9 years younger than me. I'll admit I did own a Civic for a very short time but it had stock wheels and stereo.

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
Gee, I've never owned a car older than I am and I have owned a 1951 Chevy. But then I'm really old--I got my driver's license in 1960. Now try to do the math!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
Young people probably don't think I'm young, but I'm only one year younger than my Imp!

Eric

Jedi Warrior
Most of the young people I know consider mid 80's cars to be antiques! As I'm much older than that, I must be a classic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
That reminds me of a kid I spoke with a while back. He bought an "old" 80's Toyota MR2 and wanted to put Historical Vehicle Plates on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ok when I was 16 I bought a car that was 28 years older than me and now seven years later I still own it.

Patton

Jedi Warrior
When I was 13, I started aquiring pieces of a car that was 45 years older than me, I got a complete chassis, and still own it, but never assembled it, 23 years later.

When I was 15, I bought a car that was 1 year older than me, but 16 years later sold it and bought a car the same age, then sold it and bought a car that was 10 years older than that one.

This is beginging to feel like those old word problems in Math class.

Kira

I was brought up in an old 55 Wolseley 6/90, it was 5 years older than me, now I have two Wolseleys of my own, one a 48 the other a 62. And a 77 Mazda 808. Old cars, built tough. The one thing that does annoy me something about young people though is them wanting to get these lovely old cars and wanting to make them into hotrods. ARGH! For shame! I could go on and on, but I won't, you get the drift.