• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Help with new [old] Sprite hardtop

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So I finally got a hardtop for my Sprite (64-66) but the weather strip and seals are bad and the plexiglass is old and needs to be replaced. Does anyone have a source or a way to replace the plexiglass? Also a supplier for the seal that goes around the window? I tried searching the internet but didnt come up with much more than a supplier in the UK possibly. Thanks guys.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
no sources but, that seems like something you could do locally - is it a flat piece of plexi? even curved, is not that hard, likewise, a local auto glass place might be a good start for seal. - or a trailer manufacturer.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag

nomad

Yoda
Call Macgregor, he doesn't do internet. I have a Mk3 Sprite hardtop and think it had all glass in the factory hardtop. Is it a factory hardtop? I have to look since I have yet to use it.

Kurt

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I doubt it's a factory hardtop, its plexiglass. I need to upload some pics, **** if I could get the plexiglass redone in glass I'd be ecstatic. Wonder if I can just take the curved plexiglass piece in and have it matched. I'm going to look into the seals and give macgregor a call. I appreciate it guys. I cant figure out how to post up pics or else I'd toss the pics up on here. I also scored another hood, since mine has been cut apart and redone several times. Going to install this one and itll be the last one I have to cut a hole in.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Here are the pics of the hardtop

hardtop 1.jpg

hardtop 2.jpg

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks JP, greatly appreciated. I need to do project journals for the Sprite and Triumph at some point... Triumph is about to be epic!!!

nomad

Yoda
Well that hardtop isn't factory. Looks an awful lot like a bug eye top.

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Pulled it off of a rubber bumper midget in Arkansas. Didnt roll up the windows to see if all was well, it was painted the same as the car and seemed in good order, like it had been on there for awhile. I flew back home and its heading back in a truck so I wont see it for a week or 2. More updates to follow, also got a new straight hood to weld in the Sprite front end, and yes, cut a big hole in it for the bloweršŸ˜ new toy for the Triumph as well... it's been on the back burner for awhile and really looking forward to getting it up in the air and figuring out some stuff on it.

nomad

Yoda
It does look familiar. Someone should have an idea. You don't mind modifying and I hope you are aware mounts differently from the earlier cars.

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Oh yeah, JP, I figured out the posting pics thing... if I click on "go to full site", it gives me the option to post pics but not on the mobile one. Weird

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Oh yeah, JP, I figured out the posting pics thing... if I click on "go to full site", it gives me the option to post pics but not on the mobile one. Weird

Didn't realize you were using Mobile - I have the same issue. glad it worked.

do you have a triumph thread somewhere?

also, if you google it, it looks like you can polish scratches out of plexi - OTOH a plastics store or a pattern maker might be able to help you form new rear glass

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I really wish i could polish them out... did that with an old fish tank coffee table a while back, worked great. Unfortunately the top has tiny cracks throught the whole thing that look like they are from sitting in the sun forever. Once it gets here in a week or 2 I'm going to pull the back plexiglass and see if a local glass place can help with it. Original triumph thread is here, but a ton of updates soon and going to start a project journal soon over on British V8...

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?3,52589

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I really wish i could polish them out... did that with an old fish tank coffee table a while back, worked great. Unfortunately the top has tiny cracks throught the whole thing that look like they are from sitting in the sun forever. Once it gets here in a week or 2 I'm going to pull the back plexiglass and see if a local glass place can help with it. Original triumph thread is here, but a ton of updates soon and going to start a project journal soon over on British V8...

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?3,52589

another bonkers project! can't say I love the body mods but none the less watching with great interest! You seem to have access to many and interesting engines!

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
20190622_200940.jpg

Last one for now, sorry the cars so dirty and cluttered... I've been busy elsewhere lately. More to follow, along with updates to the Sprite in another thread and the triumph as well.