• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New / old hard top

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Years ago I bought a bunch of Mowog tools from the guy I bought my BN2 from. He had a 2 place hard top sitting outside and wasn't even sure if it woud fit a BN2 but knowing hard tops were valuable I gave him another hundred dollars for it. It was made by Plastic Dynamics which was in Southern CA. They are not in business as far as I know. It sat gathering dust as I had a soft top. I suspect it was a BN4 or later 2 seater top. I finally decided to see if it would fit. Not only does it fit with a tiny bit of trimming, but I'm able to use the same front clamps that are used for the soft top. I didn't think it was particularly attractive but when I sanded it and did some fitting it kind of grew on me. I have about an inch of head clearance but that is no different than the soft top. Has anyone seen a top made by these folks ? The rear window looked awful but with some buffing looks great save for one scratch I may yet buff out. I haven't decided how I'm going to finish the inside but will probably just glue in some sort of stretchy material that I can shape to fit without bunching or cutting. I'll paint it to match body color, although black would look ok as well. As with my soft top I'll use the same safety cable at mid windscreen. By the way, my shop has never looked so tidy.......

Attachments

• IMG_20220729_111618193_copy_1248x1664.jpg
    IMG_20220729_111618193_copy_1248x1664.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 1659124563204_IMG_20220729_111610800_copy_1248x1664.jpg
    1659124563204_IMG_20220729_111610800_copy_1248x1664.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 116
  • 1659122411706_IMG_20220729_111637444_copy_1248x1664.jpg
    1659122411706_IMG_20220729_111637444_copy_1248x1664.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 1659122422740_IMG_20220729_111627720_copy_1248x1664.jpg
    1659122422740_IMG_20220729_111627720_copy_1248x1664.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20191202-095954_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191202-095954_Chrome.jpg
    949.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
OP
roscoe

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for that Rick. I assume the J hook on the inside rear attach is on the other side of the metal peg you see. I'm wondering why that fitting sticks out from the side looking a bit like something hooks to it on the outside. I have the same hole on each side but have nothing in it nor do I have the J hooks. My top looks very much like the one pictured but with different proportions/dimensions. I will make an inside strap from 1/8 aluminum sheet that fastens to the bolt holes where the soft top frame attaches and will extend up to the top and either pick up that hole or make a new one. I'm glad I was able to use the front soft top clamps as I wouldn't want to clamp anything to the windshield frame if I could avoid it. I'll post a photo or two when it is done, hopefully in a couple of weeks. I like the logo too. I took it off and it basically disintegrated in my hand. Glad I have a photo of it.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My BN4 came with one of those hardtops. It wasn't in good enough shape to keep and I received a factory one for Christmas years ago, so it's gone.

If you paint it a dark color, I suggest having some insulation above that headliner. I can feel the heat from the sun through my dark green factory one.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Is that the original license plate for your car? If so, congratulations on having kept it registered all this time.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
It does look good.

OP
roscoe

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
When I put the car on the road i wanted 1956 plates for it. It was off the road for well over 25 years. I had the last registration and the title but none of it was in the computer anymore at DMV. I don't know if it still works this way but at the time if you had two matching plates from the year of manufacture and they had to be issued before a date that I can't recall, you could pay a one time fee and use them as long as those had not been re-issued on a more recent plate. I was fortunate to find a set for a very reasonable price not far from me from a gentleman who had a business restoring and selling older plates. Mine are original and un restored. I was also lucky because they made an embossed1956 plate that year. Back then they sometimes skipped a year and I think issued a sticker to show the year of issue. I would have been 4 years old if I was the first owner. Oddly enough the State still made the small bolt on tabs for putting the modern year and month stickers at the corners on plates that had no space for them. You can just see them under the edge of the bumper.

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Plastic Dynamics were out of Compton CA There was also a hardtop manufactured with the trade name Plasticon out of El Monte CA. Not sure if this was the same company who moved.

Here is a thread on this:

Here is one that is/was for sale - with photos

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
IIRC, prior to about 1970, all California plates did not have a month sticker. Everyone in California had to renew their car licenses in February and you had to go to the DMV. There was no mail in renewal. Talk about a jumble at the DMV! I think you were issued a new metal tag with the current year that you attached to the upper right corner of the plate. California switched from the yellow plates to the black plates in 1962 or 1963.

Country flag
My BJ8 was built and 'despatched' Nov. 1966 according to BMIHT, but as far as the DMV is concerned it's a 1967 model year. I think they're its original plates as they're consistent with the letters and numerals of other plates that I've seen from that era (and have appropriate wear). It has the month and year embosses and stickers.

Attachments

• LicensePlate.JPG
    LicensePlate.JPG
    749.3 KB · Views: 94

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bob you are correct about the stickers. I don't know what I was thinking. My car has a black plate like yours and it has the month stickers. Plates prior to the change to black plates in 1962 or 1963 did not have stickers and all expired in Feb each year.

OP
roscoe

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Here is the almost finished top. I know the paint isn't a match, but it's the same I used on my hand louvered bonnet so at least they match. There are still a few tweaks because I haven't finalized the rear mounting. I was most concerned that since this was not made for a BN2 as far as I know, that there would be shape or fit issues but I'm pleased with the general look and the fit......just don't get too close.

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_105133462_copy_1248x1664.jpg
    IMG_20220819_105133462_copy_1248x1664.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20220819_105154740~2_copy_1052x936.jpg
    IMG_20220819_105154740~2_copy_1052x936.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 71

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Great job Roscoe - it was common practice to two tone hardtops so that looks period authentic. That gunmetal grey is a rare colour on a 100 - only around fifty were painted that colour from the factory.

OP
roscoe

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Thanks. Although I do not have the heritage certificate I'm sure this was not one of the small bach of grey bodies at the factory. Fact is, I saw this color on a Dodge Ram pickup truck and it was a " that's it" moment for me. Shortly thereafter I was pleased to find out about the gunmetal grey cars and that it wasn't heretical after all, although the metallic would probably cause judges to become apoplectic.

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A real coincidence. In the 1960's I has a BT7 with a factory hardtop. Was in USCG and transferred to various locations constantly. Eventually sold the car in 1974 with the hardtop. Went through a few LBC's over the years but eventually bought another BT7 without a H/T. Went on the hunt for another H/T for it and finally found one for sale. Purchased it and went to town restoring it. After sanding the top through about 5 layers of paint I came to a coating of RedLead. Only a sailor would have painted it with RedLead. We used a lot of on board ship. Checked the serial number and the top turned out to be my original top.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Here is the almost finished top. I know the paint isn't a match, but it's the same I used on my hand louvered bonnet so at least they match. There are still a few tweaks because I haven't finalized the rear mounting. I was most concerned that since this was not made for a BN2 as far as I know, that there would be shape or fit issues but I'm pleased with the general look and the fit......just don't get too close.
Roscoe--

The top had to have been made for a 100 as otherwise I would not fit due to the extra length of later cars, some or all of which was between what passes for A and B pillars. It looks like a lot of 100 tops I have seen with the vent molded into the roof.

Nice work.

OP
roscoe

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Michael, I'm sure you are correct. It's just that I'd never seen one installed on a car or for sale. I also was not aware that the 6 cylinder 2 seat cars were longer between the door pillars. Sometimes I think I know a fair amount about these cars and sometimes it seems like there is no end to what you can know.