• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wish Me Luck

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I’m not sure if it will happen today, or tomorrow. After 25ish years of slumber, I hope to wake the beast. I want to do an electric system test, add some fuel, check for leaks and see if this thing will fire up. Cross your fingers for me, I won’t be able to work very well with mine that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
GOOD LUCK, my fingers are crossed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Say, wouldn't this be a good VIDEO posting opportunity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
That's great to hear .. wish you the best on getting ol' Rip Van Healey up from his nap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Cheers,
John

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Go for it Greg! I envy you, but I know I will join you somtime next year. Hope it all works properly. Keep us posted.

Lin Rose
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Wana

Jedi Hopeful
Greg, best wishes. May you hear the sound of a thousand angels singing in their best naughty voices (the roar of the Healey exhaust). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful
Good luck. This February, I did the same thing. Due to a family squabble, my BJ8 sat in the corner of a hanger for 25 years. After cleaning the tank and fuel lines, rebuilding the fuel pump and carbs, new points and condenster, it started and ran like crap. I've been tuning and adjusting ever since. I finally got it running so good that the harmonic balancer came apart (40 year old rubber). You might add to your pre-flight check list renewing engine mounts and rebuilding the balancer.

OP
GregW

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Say, wouldn't this be a good VIDEO posting opportunity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
That is a distinct possibility. Not sure how long a gig card will last in my camera. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OP
GregW

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Roger,
Thanks for the heads up. There are only a few old parts left in the engine compartment. The engine block and some electrical thingies.

OP
GregW

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your wishes,
So the motor wasn’t started today. I decided to cap off the vacuum line to the brake booster in case of back firing, which required a drive to the speed shop for parts. While I was at it, I also purchased some vacuum fittings for a gauge on the console. I was going to leave that for later until I realized the fuel rail had to come out to install it. Better to do it before the gas goes in.
Everything went well though. No leaks from the radiator, no fuses blew when I hooked up the battery. Fuel pump does its thing (though rather loudly). Starter makes noises (not bad ones so far). I didn’t really crank the motor since I still need to add oil. Even the dash lights and radio have life.
The day began with a good omen. As I was heading out for coffee, the UPS guy came up with the last K&N air filter I needed. I had been told that it was back ordered from Europe and to expect it towards the end of June. Wow, something actually delivered 5 weeks ahead of time, how often does that happen? Don’t know how well I’ll sleep tonight.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Greg, it seem like to me ifin you quit runin you mouth and get busy it jess might run.Sarsky -Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh boy, wrings hands, can't wait. Christmas in May.

One will get you two it will start. lol

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Oh boy, wrings hands, can't wait. Christmas in May.

One will get you two it will start. lol

[/ QUOTE ]
-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Well I was out on the patio early this morning and I didn't hear no noise that sounded like a Healey firing up weren't even no smoke visible---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
GregW

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I didn’t get the car running today. Sigh. Fuel started coming out of the center carb drain tube and there were some leaks at the fuel rail. The thread sealant I used doesn’t seem to cut it very well. Have to pull the fuel rail tomorrow and see what I can do to it. Good news is I’m getting spark for the timing light. The ignition system is the second biggest concern I have, just after the carbs. Thanks for the fireworks John, guess you’ll have to set the lighter down for a day or two. Just don’t put it down in my garage, it still smells of gas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif