• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sometimes I wish I lived in England.

RickB

Yoda
Things like this really make me consider the thought...

Currently: £352.00

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MORRIS-MINOR-1000-...=item3efcac4028

!BkT2ew!!Wk~$(KGrHqUH-C0Es+GvvtgGBL(FjFjV0w~~_12.JPG

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I looked at one here in town for $1000 - body
had been painted,kept in a garage.It had a 1275.I
think he still has it.

- Doug

Hairyone

Jedi Trainee
I do live in Blighty & this will go for much more than that, probably around £700
Don't see to many around now, great shame.

It's not so nice here, cold & wet. Rather be skiing in Vancouver........ah slight problem,, no snow.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Usually cold & wet here too...

So far this year has been mild in NW Washington state - apparently also up in Vancouver BC where they can only wish they had the kind of snow that's hitting our East Coast friends.

Ok so you can buy cheap rusty cars in the motherland, but when you think about warm beer, crappy weather, and lousy food, the US starts look better and better :smile:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:
Ok so you can buy cheap rusty cars in the motherland, but when you think about warm beer, crappy weather, and lousy food, the US starts look better and better :smile:

And I haven't found anyone over there in tea totaler land who knows how to make a good cup of <span style="font-size: 12pt">coffee</span> yet! :devilgrin:

nomad

Yoda
Ah but the brits are just so d**n civilized! And there taste in auto styling always seemed to mesh with mine. Italian styling to me is hit and miss and cars that REALLY rust and engine designs that are fragile don't appeal. Like older jap designs but most of there auto industry copied britain!
KA.

V

vagt6

Lovely place, England. I love the place, EXCEPT for the rainy weather!

Edinburgh, lovely place, but has the fewest sunny days per year among all major european cities! That would be hard to deal with IMHO. I'm a sunny day kinda guy, got to have that sunny weather.

Having said that, take a look outta my front door today, and . . .

[img:center]https://
2010Feb6b.jpg
[/img]

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Paul;

My mother was a Brit who became a war bride.
Her siblings are all alive and well in Britain.
My Aunt and Uncle were here in 1986 and they got hooked on Tim Horton's
(Canadian version of Starbuck's) so I send her coffee a couple of times a year.
She knows what to do.
I will not release her address as I like the Christmas presents (Ha Ha)

Dave :savewave:

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Ah well, for coffee I already own a personal size roaster and have connections for green coffee beans.

I too like the sunny weather, but here I am in the Pacific NorthWest.

As for the rest, well I'm really only tempted by the cars - such a wide variety and they seem to be everywhere you look if you believe the guys on Wheeler Dealers or watch Ebay UK much.

john_j

Jedi Trainee
Hap Waldrop said:
warm beer

This is a regular misunderstanding by people on the far side of the pond; beer is supposed to be served at cellar temperature.

Lager (the yellow fizzy stuff common in Europe and the US) is supposed to be served cold. They are different things served in different ways.

The fact that our beer isn't cold isn't stupidity or a failure of the cooling system, it's because <span style="font-style: italic">that's how it's supposed to be.</span>
If you want to drink freezing cold lager here you can, it's available in most pubs, but bitter, mild IPA etc should be at cellar temp.

I don't hear you all moaning that your red wine is at cellar temperature rather than chilled, so WTF do you moan about beer!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
john_j said:
so WTF do you moan about beer!

heck we're British car owners, we don't just moan about beer, we moan about everything :banana:

Interesting though both regional differences and regional stereotypes. Any beer I ever drank in Edinburgh was the perfect temperature. All the time we lived in the USofA my wife never found anyone could make a good cup of tea to the point that she had tea bags shipped from Canada - mind you then she found out that 85% of tea in the US ends up as iced tea - which put it all in perspective - different purpose, different composition.

The thing that saddens me is how hard it is to find a good cup of coffee anymore. Didn't find a lot of good coffee in the US except at specialty stores and here also, Tim Hortons is getting worse and worse (sorry Dave) Most of the time my favorite (non starbucks) coffee is McDonalds (oops did I say that out loud) :wall:

Anyway, time for a cuppa and back to work!

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
JPSmit said:
john_j said:
so WTF do you moan about beer!

heck we're British car owners, we don't just moan about beer, we moan about everything :banana:

The thing that saddens me is how hard it is to find a good cup of coffee anymore. Didn't find a lot of good coffee in the US except at specialty stores and here also, Tim Hortons is getting worse and worse (sorry Dave) Most of the time my favorite (non starbucks) coffee is McDonalds (oops did I say that out loud) :wall:

Anyway, time for a cuppa and back to work!

Alas!! it is all just brown water. :devilgrin: (including Starbucks) :devilgrin: :jester:

As for tea, I'll have acup of Darjeeling please. :thumbsup:

Stuart. :cheers:

Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:

The food is now much better than it was formerly (yes, I know, that wouldn't have been hard, but still....)

And while the beer may be warm, that's a matter of tastes and it's certainly possible to get more varieties of beer and lager easily. Not to mention Scotch.

Yes, the weather could do with a bit of improvement, but then again; as I tell all our British friends that wonder at my acceptance of their crappy weather- I point out that it rarely kills anyone: Tornados, Hurricanes, Blizzards with feet of snow, killer heat, etc. not to mention the deadly snakes, fire ants, killer bees, tarantulas, mosquitoes, wood roaches, etc., etc., etc.

And when the weather's goog there are some absolutely marvelous roads close to most everywhere- ideally suited to LBCs...

restandbethankful.jpg

:yesnod: :driving:

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
JPSmit said:
john_j said:
Most of the time my favorite (non starbucks) coffee is McDonalds (oops did I say that out loud) :wall:

McDonalds, as well as many other coffee outlets (except Starbucks/Caribou) buy a custom mix from S&D Coffee, Concord, NC. I think they are the worlds largest coffee producer, or so I've been led to believe.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
JamesWilson said:
...And when the weather's good there are some absolutely marvelous roads close to most everywhere- ideally suited to LBCs...
I've never been across the pond, but from what I've seen, if there was <span style="font-style: italic">ever </span>a car made for narrow meandering lanes flanked by hedgerows, it's a Midget.

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've been to Edinburgh many times (and loved it) and only once did it rain, so I must have been incredibly lucky! The beer I had in England and Scotland was always the right temp although I wasn't too fond of the soft drinks served at room temp. Always thought I would like to retire to Scotland or Ireland but not likely to do so; I'm too spoiled by Southern California weather! Of course, I will probably leave the state when I do retire (looking at St. George Utah)as I fear that taxes, fees etc. will just continue to rise here - hope that is not considered a political statement....
Roy

G

Na, move to Hawaii and have 'em shipped over.

Hawaiian chics have purtier smiles.
grin.gif