• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Upper wish bone ??

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Hey I am home and hip deep in Triumph projects.
I went to install the new upper wishbone bushings and the wishbones are installed opposite ways from each other.
I have a picture at https://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd50/Norton47/Engine%20Pull/
This is the left side. It is assembled in the photo to match the right side. This is the way the right side is currently. When I took the left off it was reverse to the photo. That being the mounting ears with the longer distance were on the inside. Not the outside as they are in this photo.
Are they suppose to be different or the same. It goes back together easier this way clearance wise and was a pain to get out the way it was installed.
With them installed reversed wouldn't it cause different geometry when compared to the other size?

T

Tinster

Norton!

I've been exactly where you are right now. I'm a
non-mechanic TR6 owner but I managed to replace my
front suspension with some kind help from the forum
and from Banjo Ben on the upper A-arm problem.

Here are a few photos and text of my install of the
upper A-arms. Might not be the best way but it seems
to hold together and rides pretty good.

I apologise to the TR gurus in advance for any obvious
blunders I might have made. But it holds together. If
you get a better solution, take it.

dale

https://www.scribd.com/doc/331575/TR6-fulcrum-bushings
https://static.scribd.com/docs/96ylntb6u4ep3.swf?INITIAL_VIEW=width

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
IMG_8037.jpg

heliguy

Jedi Hopeful
The picture above shows the way the fulcrum pin should go on a TR3, with the curve following the curve of the shock turret. On a TR4 the pin can go either way depending upon the serial number of the car. On a TR4a, TR250 and TR6 the pin should go the other way, with the "curve" going against the shock turret.

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
I don't understand the last part "the curve going against the shock tower.
That seems to contradict the part that says the fulcrum pin should go opposite of the way it is in the picture. The picture is now named properly as Left side.
Do you mean away from the shock tower?
Dale's picture appears to have it oriented reverse of what my photo is. Which would match I think, heliguys statement, the pin should go the other compared to a TR3. With a TR3 installation matching the photo I posted and DNK added to one of the previous replies.

Sorry still don't feel that this is totally clear to me.
Try it this way. Is the curve of the fulcrum pin towards the engine or away from the engine?
Also to confirm both sides are symmetrical?
Thanks

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Paul
That will do the trick. So the PO had one on one way and one the other.
That has to affect the front end alignment.
I assume I should plan to have a re-alignment when I get back on the road?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Yes, you should have that done before driving very much.

Also, pay attention to the bolts that go through the ball joints. They are to be installed with one facing forward and one facing to the rear on each side.

In the above picture, the rear unit is the left side arm assembly. That will put the outboard bolt heads facing the front of the car and the inboard bolt heads facing the rear.

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Thanks again.
PO had one side with the one each way and the other side both the same way.

heliguy

Jedi Hopeful
There you go, the picture is worth a thousand words thing again. I really need to learn how to post pics!

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Paul
Just to double check is the rear on the one to the left?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
OK, here we go, based on looking at three chassis, which were all different in one way or another, but confirming the assembly process with Dave at TRF.

The fulcrum shown above in Don's picture was actually made for the TR2 & used later on the TR6's and when installed properly on the TR6, it would have the bigger portion of the cutout or the "U" shape facing inward towards the engine. So, the assembly in Don's picture is supposedly reversed as far as the fulcrum goes.

Now for each arm. Each side has one of each and they are assembled as follows. The arm with the bigger curve is installed in the front of the car, so that if you were looking down on it, it would bow away from the front, with the straighter arm in the rear. There are letters stamped into each side of that bowed arm that are and "L" on one side and an "R" on the other. When properly assembled, the letter will be matched to the side of the car that is was assembled on; i.e. looking down from the top, the left side will have and "L" in the front and the right will have an "R" arm in the front and both fulcrums will have the "U" shape facing inward towards the engine.

This is the arm, installed on my car with the "R" facing up in the forward position. I'm sorry that I didn't get the position of the fulcrum in this shot, but my previous picture above shows the correct relationship of the fulcrum to the arms as it mounts to the frame.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I just read Dale's post and reviewed his pictures and it should be just like his.

Why did I bother calling Dave at TRF, when I have Dale at BCF?????

Heliguy had it right too, I just added pictures.

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Thanks everyone for all the work.
I have pieced it all together and have everything mounted.
Checks out correct to this last information.
It really throws you when taking something apart and it had not be assembled right by the previous mechanic. Makes you question everything.
Thanks again.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Paul- if the Don you speak of is me, that is actually Norton's photo. I just stuck it in so it would be easier to follow

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Don,

I just wanted to point to you as the poster, so as not to confuse it with my earlier post that had pictures in them. At the time, I wasn't sure where it had come from, until I looked back at Norton's bucket photos.

Thanks for posting it, though. It served as a good reference point.