• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tire condition, upper side wall splits...dangerous?

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
The tires are Michelin red stripes tube tires.
Other than the splits along the outer tread/sidewall Union, they are in great shape.
However I do not know how old they are.
The pics are of the front tires, which I'm running at 30psi (max 32)

I would appreciate wire wheel tire replacement recommendations, if deemed necessary.

advise appreciated.

thanks

Guy

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 302
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 306

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Please tell us you're kidding, Guy! Those things are bombs just waiting to go off if you try to drive at highway speeds.

I wish I had a photo of what happened to the Stag when one of the old tires let go ("Those'll get me home, sure." ) The steel belts turned into a giant flap wheel and ruined not only the original paint, but took off part of the fender lip; just in the time it took me to realize what happened and pull over. But this shot might give you some idea:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Only two companies still making splined wire wheels AFAIK. Dayton (in Ohio) and Dunlop (India). I bought Dayton, and I'd do it again even though one of them failed (and was replaced under warranty).
https://www.daytonwirewheels.com/

OP
GTP1960

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Thx. They did alarm me. That's why I asked.

these tires are 185 x 15. tube tires redlines.

Any recommendation for replacement tires that are compatible with wire wheel splines would be appreciated.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Diamondback tires has some nice redline tires, pricey though.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Guy,

How many spokes on your rims? Originally, 3As had 165R15s on 48-spoke rims for wires. TR4s had 60 spoke and TR6 used 72 spoke wheels. TR6 rims were wider; I don't know if you can put a 165 tire on a TR6 rim though. As Keith said, Diamondback has lots of classic size tires and they're just down the road in Conway. Unfortunately, Conway is on the front line of the great rain-flood, so may be a while before they're open.

How did you folks on the Three Dog Road side of Chapin make out? My mom is on the lake on the Amick's Ferry side. She said the water came waaay up, but stayed below the 360 (flood) line. My TR3A is on blocks in her garage - whew!

Jeff

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Clearly those need to be replaced. It doesn't matter that the rim has a splined hub, as far as what tires you use. The cars originally had bias ply tires and the retrofit radial converts to 165R15 as Jeff stated, If you have the original 48 spoke rims. The red line tires were common on TR6's so you may have the wider wire wheels. I don't think I would put the 165's on the wider wheels, if that's what you have. I'll probably open myself to criticism from the experts, but I'm not a fan of putting wider wheels on the TR3, especially without the upgraded axle stubs. It changes the geometry...however minute it may be...making steering harder and putting more pressure on suspension parts than was originally designed. There, I said it, so experts blast away. 165's and even 185's are getting harder to find, but are still out there. The name brands are pricey, as mentioned, but there are still bargains to be had. I bought 165R15 Nankang for my TR3 and have been pleased with them, except for the black sidewall having a lot of "gingerbread". If you want the redline or the retro white sidewall look, you're going to be paying dearly for it. The other issue is tube vs. tubeless. Some tire dealers won't put tubes in tubeless tires, at least so I've heard, but I've never had a problem getting them installed.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Looks like age. My tires are over 10 years old, and they scare me when I get up to highway speeds these days...although I was dumb enough to get it over 90mph last week. Here in the DFW area, that was just matching the traffic flow, unfortunately.

A few years ago I had another really old tire blow on me at 70mph on a 1970 Olds 442. The tire stayed inflated, but the steel belt broke and made a huge, 70mph paddle. It ruined the fender and even broke the windshield glass. The funny part is that a newer BMW had been following me, and after it blew, he passed and pulled over about 100 yards in front of me on the shoulder. I had a spare, but the jack was broke. I thought, "how fortunate, he can loan me a jack!" As I started to walk towards him, he flipped me off, jumped in the car and sped off. Turns out that instead of being a good Samaritan, he was just checking his Beemer for flak damage from my blown wheel! I had to limp down the rural Alabama highway for an hour at walking speed before I got to the next exit.

I no longer take old tires out of town...

OP
GTP1960

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
I bought 165R15 Nankang for my TR3 and have been pleased with them, except for the black sidewall having a lot of "gingerbread". If you want the redline or the retro white sidewall look, you're going to be paying dearly for it. The other issue is tube vs. tubeless. Some tire dealers won't put tubes in tubeless tires, at least so I've heard, but I've never had a problem getting them installed.

Thanks Kley,

Your right, the average price for a retro is about $180-190. wasn't expecting this today, but can't mess around with it either.

Looks like age. My tires are over 10 years old, and they scare me when I get up to highway speeds these days...although I was dumb enough to get it over 90mph last week. Here in the DFW area, that was just matching the traffic flow, unfortunately.

A few years ago I had another really old tire blow on me at 70mph on a 1970 Olds 442. The tire stayed inflated, but the steel belt broke and made a huge, 70mph paddle. It ruined the fender and even broke the windshield glass.

CJD,

I'd better soft pedal this old tire issue around here. (if my wife finds out I was driving her around on IED's, a blow out will be the least of my worries)
I've never dealt with old tires before. I always just ran the tread down & replaced them.

I grew up in Kessler Park, Oak Cliff. I know how Dallas drivers can be! I think it was Lee Iacocca, who said it best:
"Lead, follow........or get out of the way"

my roommate at TTU had a '70 442, that's a car.

Thanks guys, for all the input.

Guy

OP
GTP1960

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Hi Guy,

How many spokes on your rims? Originally, 3As had 165R15s on 48-spoke rims for wires. TR4s had 60 spoke and TR6 used 72 spoke wheels. TR6 rims were wider; I don't know if you can put a 165 tire on a TR6 rim though. As Keith said, Diamondback has lots of classic size tires and they're just down the road in Conway. Unfortunately, Conway is on the front line of the great rain-flood, so may be a while before they're open.

How did you folks on the Three Dog Road side of Chapin make out? My mom is on the lake on the Amick's Ferry side. She said the water came waaay up, but stayed below the 360 (flood) line. My TR3A is on blocks in her garage - whew!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Glad your Mom came thru the Flood OK!
My garage was flooded, but like you I had the 3 up on stands.

My wheels are probably TR4. they have 60 spokes.

I'm shopping for 165R15s.

guy

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'll probably open myself to criticism from the experts, but I'm not a fan of putting wider wheels on the TR3, especially without the upgraded axle stubs. It changes the geometry...however minute it may be...making steering harder and putting more pressure on suspension parts than was originally designed. There, I said it, so experts blast away.
This is not intended as a "blast" in any way; I'm certainly not going to criticize anyone for wanting to run original size tires.

But I've been running wide tires (on TR6 wheels) for longer than I can remember, and I really don't see the problem. Yeah, it theoretically puts some more force on suspension parts, mostly because I buy sticky tires. (My main reason for buying wider tires is the high performance tires available.) But the suspension seems able to deal with the slight increase. Keep in mind that the front spindles and bearings are the same ones used in the 6 cylinder TRs, where they have significantly more weight on them. I've actually got a set of the "uncle jack" spindles & spacers on the shelf, haven't gotten around to installing them yet.

But steering isn't noticeably heavier; in fact I'd say it actually got easier when I swapped out the 165 tires I had on temporarily while having the car painted the first time. IMO tire compound and pressure plays a far bigger role than tread width. (I do run fairly high pressure in them, which seems to improve road handling.)

A few other points:
Earlier 3A had smaller tires, 165 will not easily fit in the spare tire compartment. (I actually carry a 145 "compact" spare because the 155s are so hard to find and I got tired of struggling to get a 165 in and out.) The compartment got bigger at TS60001, which I believe is when the 165 started.

Radial tires were available as an option fairly early on, even before the 3A was introduced. I forget the exact point offhand, but they were available on my 56.

According to Bill Piggott, there are photos of factory race cars as early as 1958 with 60 spoke wire wheels on them. As he puts it, almost certainly anyone with money could get them put on a road car. They're also listed in the later SPC as a "high speed option". So I don't think anyone could call them "wrong" for a 3A. Certainly they are much stronger, so unless you are really obsessive about being exactly original (as opposed to period correct), I'd suggest going that way. If you are replacing the wheels anyway.

I forget who offhand, but there used to be several places that could add red lines to any tire for a reasonable fee (like $30-$40 per tire). If you really want the redline look, you might see if any of them are around still. I've even heard of painting them on yourself!

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
[QUOTE I've even heard of painting them on yourself![/QUOTE]

Yea, Had a friend that painted the letters on his Sears and Roebuck blackwall tires white to get the white letter tire look, on his four door Falcon. Me and all his other friends laughed and laughed.