• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A confirm upper wishbone arms

jmcfly

Freshman Member
Before I proceed I wanted to confirm that I have the upper wishbone arms and the fulcrum oriented correctly. The photo is of a TR4A left (driver) side. My Ball manual shows this arrangement with the curve of the fulcrum "around" the shock bolt hole and the long wishbone arm to the rear. With this arrangement the "R" on the arm is up and I thought that indicated the right side arrangement. Appreciate any help on this.

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 119

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Here is my 63 TR4. I'm not sure if they are the same, but it seems you have the fulcrum correct, but the arms switched. My curved arm is in the front where it looks like yours is in the rear.

Attachments

• 1016151101.jpg
    1016151101.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 111

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I just removed mine and they are marked. If you can wait 'til this afternoon I can confirm exactly how they were installed, though the manual will say as well.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You need to remember that the front (left) arm on the left side is the same as the front (right) on the right side. So having a R or L does not seem practical. When you put the lower trunnion in place everything should line up all of the way down. If it is skewed to one side then the top would be wrong.
Charley

OP
J

jmcfly

Freshman Member
My concern is the fulcrum really. The way in which it faces the shock bolt. The "Ball" manual shows it specifically the way I have it for a 4A. Images I've seached, and those posted are both ways. Is the 4A different and which is correct, the fulcrum curved around the shock bolt or away?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My concern is the fulcrum really. The way in which it faces the shock bolt. The "Ball" manual shows it specifically the way I have it for a 4A. Images I've seached, and those posted are both ways. Is the 4A different and which is correct, the fulcrum curved around the shock bolt or away?

It curves around the shock bolt. Same for TR3-4-6. Your first picture is correct.
Charley

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Here is my 63 TR4. I'm not sure if they are the same, but it seems you have the fulcrum correct, but the arms switched. My curved arm is in the front where it looks like yours is in the rear.

GHawk is right. His picture is correct. The first by jmcfly appears wrong.

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It looks to me like you have the whole suspension wrongly assembled if it is a 4A. The long arm should be at the front and the short one to the rear. The front arm will then correctly show the "L" that is stamped on the other side. The ball joint should be lined up with the shock mounting hole, not well in front of it as in your photo. This will be the case when you put the arms on correctly. The way you have it also has the kingpin inclined forward rather than back, which will give some weird handling effects.

The upper fulcrum should be reversed also. This seems counterintuitive as it has the bend in it which went around the upper shock mount on all the TRs up to the 4. When Triumph fitted IRS to the cars, it changed the rear roll centre. They had to alter the position of the front roll centre to adjust the handling. They raised the lower pivot point mount from through to above the chassis. The brackets that they used are a well known failure point, and if you have not fitted the strengthening brackets (available from all the major TR suppliers) you should do so before you go any further. They also reversed the upper fulcrums to get the geometry that they wanted. Being Triumph, they used what they had rather than designing a new part.

Neil Remington had an article on his website about the fulcrum issue, but I can't find it at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Jmcfly, for what it's worth, attached are photos of how mine was put together before dis-assembly (passenger side). Not to say it was put together correctly. It is opposite of the picture attached to your post. Also, I think (need to confirm) that my fulcrum was facing away from engine. It is a bit hard to tell which way the fulcrum is facing from the photo attached to your post.

(Mental note to self: It is impossible to take too many photos from all angles!)

IMG_7700 - suspension - pass side - front suspension - top of shock.jpg IMG_7724 - suspension - pass side - front suspension - spring out, tie rod unthreaded.jpg IMG_7725 - suspension - pass side - front suspension - removal of lower.jpg