• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake Bleeding Wish me luck

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Well, a fellow in California made me the little "stop pin" that fits in my Booster slave cylinder and it arrived yesterday! It fits and works great! Now I begin a task I have been dreading: bleeding my completely dry and rebuilt brake system! I have read that this job on an EType can be very difficult, especially the back brakes! I've been thinking about how to alleviate some of the difficulty and I think I may have some ideas that may help. We shall see.

Wish me luck that I complete this task without having a stroke!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Wow, the last update I saw, your IRC was sitting in the driveway next to the Spit. If you are using speed bleeders, you'll need to remove one to get the fluid to start flowing into the system.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
The rear is the worst. Getting it up to crwal under is one thing. Even the inspection holes in the XJ6 Series one were too small to reach in and bleed. Good luck and take your time. Master Cylinder if dry may become a pain.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Ok, now I want to cry! After rebuilding my servo booster and reinstalling, I began the process of bleeding the brakes! After a fer frustrating minutes, I realized something was wrong! That's when I realized I had stupidly left of teh big spring that operates the vacuum bellows! Arrrggggg!! Now I have to remove the slave once again and install this rather important part! I hate it when I do stupid stuff like that!

Country flag
Basil, better now then when motoring down the open roads of New Mexico and realizing you're about to get up close and personal with a Saguaro cactus!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Silverghost said:
Basil, better now then when motoring down the open roads of New Mexico and realizing you're about to get up close and personal with a Saguaro cactus!

That could only happen in Arizona (yeah, I know what my Avatar is).

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Be patient dear boy! Take your time and enjoy what you are doing and be glad you found it quickly.

Country flag
Basil said:
Silverghost said:

I suspected I was off the mark geographically but couldn't think of anything else in the moment.... :smile:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Silverghost said:
Basil said:
Silverghost said:

I suspected I was off the mark geographically but couldn't think of anything else in the moment.... :smile:

I wish we had those cacti here in NM, I think they are beautiful! We have cacti, just not those, which I believe are only found in AZ.

basil, the saguaro cactus being the state flower of arizona can be found in the sonoran desert, baja calif, the san felipe desert, and in other small areas in calif, thus improving your chances of running into one, so please do your brake bleeding correctly!
grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Basil!!! It ain't NEARLY as bad a task as it's made out to be. Small wrench on bleed screw (inna back) and clear hose with a jar on the end.Usual drill with a helper.

My heartfelt BEST suggestion is to get an Eezi-Bleed. It makes the job a half-hour ordeal.