• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windshield placement

tao724

Jedi Trainee
Hi all,
Progress on my '30 boxes of stuff', and a 1973 Midget body shell contiues to progress. Finished up fuel lines today! I went to the Pittsburg Grand Prix British Car Day yesterday, and "Bud" was kind enough to let me rummage through and around his 1972 on display! This let me go home and properly place my lines. It sure makes a difference to have a car on hand to look at while you work on things! Put in a Carter fuel pump, (I ordered a 2nd one to place in line as a back-up. I know I probably don't need a back-up, but while its all clean and fresh I thought I would put one in with a ancillary toggle switch up front). Placed new brake lines a few days ago, and carpeted the trunk.
Whats next is the windshield. I put on new rubber seals, sides and bottom, and replaced the glass (what a job that was!!!!!). So far, so good.
Today my son helped me place the windshield on the body.....you can guess where I'm going with this? The bottom rubber seal (windshield frame to body), is stiff and unreasonable! Will not 'sit down'. It keeps the frame a good 1/2 inch above the car. Applying great pressure, I can force one corner nearly down enough to get a bolt in. Is there a better suggestion?

Any good tricks to getting the windshield frame bottom rubber to settle itself down enough to be able to put in the side post bolts?

As always, thanking all in advance.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
a harder job than it should be. Here's what I did. put everything in place - then a ratchet strap over the front "tabs" of the windshield (blanket to protect paint) and attached to a 2X4 I had run under the car - actually made a pile of 2X4's with the top piece sticking out and raised the car slightly and settled it on the wood.

This was not enough pressure but it got it close. (I think I bolted down one side at a time) - the first side was easier. I then ran a small bolt through one of the two holes on the window frame and bolted each end of a small length of chain - one link on each side - making a loop to attach another ratchet strap, also attached to the 2X4

then applied enough pressure to mangle one of the ratchets and to scare the you know what out of me and finally got it down enough to get a bolt on it.

I have heard the warming up the gasket with a heat gun is helpful...

mark

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Lots of pressure in various ways (one is like John-Peter suggested....I used a friend basically putting all his weight on the thing....& a long rope to pull through & underneath the frame from the inside out after everything begins to snug up...& a year later mine still doesn't lay completely flat.

tomshobby

Yoda
OOOOOOO NOOOOOOOO - you guys could have discussed this off line. Sounds painful and is something I will have to eventually do. At least it won't be till next summer and maybe I will only have a faint recollection so I can boldly go forward.

Seriously, thanks for the heads up and I hope to remember the tips mentioned.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You can get a very thin piece or wood or plastic (something that won't mar the paint) and push under the frame to make the bottom gasket push out as it should. I think some folks even use wire or fishing line. I have found that it does take an extra person, or two to get the windshield bolted down. Some buddies, some beer, and you should be able to bolt it on the car.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
:iagree: you will definitely need to do that as part of the process - I did do it by myself though another set of hands would have helped.

OP
T

tao724

Jedi Trainee
Day number 2 windshield.
I read everyones suggestions last night and put a little of each to work. With a little full body weight on the corner of the windshield frame I was able to get the passengers side top bolt in to the frame post, then the bottom bolt. I have the plastic tool sold in the catalogs for windshield glass installation and used it to push the rubber bottom seal forward. It works great. It has a couple of flat, sharp non-marring angles and a rounded end. I then worked applying full body weight and a bit of iron leverage, and strap pieces to get the bottom bolt in the drivers side frame post. I couldnt get the top bolt in. After straightening out the rubber seal to a decent level, I turned out the lights and thought I'd give it overnight to see how it truns out. Got home from work this evening and found the top remaining bolt now has access to the frame post screw hole threads. That does proove that the whole rubber bottom seal is settling down a bit. Had it in in under one minute! Still no where near flat yet. The center mirror base is still riding 1/2 inch or so above the dash cowl. I'm thinking about Marks heat gun suggestion, but I'll wait another day or so to see how thebottom rubber seal continues to settle 'down'. The heat guns are very powerful andI wouldnt want to 'cook' the rubber.....I suppose a constantly moving hand and a fair distance is the key to success their!

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Not only should you be concerned about the windshield rubber using the heat gun, but the paint too.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
A trick on the spacers. I cut a slot in the side of the spacers so I can stick them in from behind once the windshield is lined up and bolts are in hand tight.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Jim_Gruber said:
A trick on the spacers. I cut a slot in the side of the spacers so I can stick them in from behind once the windshield is lined up and bolts are in hand tight.

I did the same - much easier

OP
T

tao724

Jedi Trainee
About the heat gun.............yes, I'm thinking for me Jim's caution is well heeded! Wouldnt want to cause any blistering or bubbles of the paint!
I'm still regretting drilling the holes to place the sill body molding. The white paint/ black sill trim paint was so perfect.....I didnt need to cover the seam with the stainless molding........oh well...whats done is done.

OP
T

tao724

Jedi Trainee
Todays update:

Its been about 5 weeks since I began the windshield frame install. I tried all suggestions that I could and got very little satisfaction for a good job with the windshield to frame rubber seal. After deliberating and diverting my attention to other Midget needs, I decided to order the rubber seal from MacGregors British Car Parts out of Ontario as my last resort try. It was worth the wait. What a huge difference in rubber!
I've attached a couple of photos showing the completed job (which included removing the first (new) frame to car seal, placing replacement MacGregor new seal, putting windshield frame back on car, bolting on, smoothing out rubber lip, and bolting down center rod bracket. All with near perfect results.

https://picasaweb.google.com/minorsands/mgmidget1973#5374422333260763682
https://picasaweb.google.com/minorsands/mgmidget1973#5374422369229138354
https://picasaweb.google.com/minorsands/mgmidget1973#5374422420860737666

Cheers

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
Hey Mike, car is really looking good. can't wait to see the finished product which should not be long from the looks of it. also great pictures.