• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Up-grade to 1/2" lug bolt, which ones??[tr6]

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
I want to upgrade to 1/2 lug bolts but only want the stock length, does someone have a brand and part# (like napa) and what size hole do you drill. And any other advice on this would be helpfull.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
Why ??.....7/16" provide adaquate clamping on a TR6 weight and tire width.

the Dorman wheel stud catalog shows pictures and dimensions of wheel studs.

ARP makes some long pull thru (serrated) wheel studs from superior materials that can be easily shortened.

tomshobby

Yoda
Seems the front spindles and rear hub assemblies would fail first.

Are you going to have a competent machine shop do this so the hole size and locations are correct?

Is there enough room for the stud heads and larger socket on the nuts?

PeterK

Yoda
Just go to the parts store and browse through their Dorman wheel studs book. Find the closest size knurl to your existing hole then ask them for the proper drill size for the knurl. My local parts store has a machine shop in the back so I'd ask the machinist.

Toms right about machining too. The new stud head must fit in the machined flat on the back of the hub so that it fits flush. Also the length of the knurl must be the same as the thickness of the hub or it might interfere with the back of the wheel.

Don't forget, you'll also have to redrill your wheels, buy new lug nuts.

D

DougF

If you currently run or plan to one day run aluminum wheels, you may want to reconsider.
I just put new studs on the fronts on my six. The same thing popped into my head very briefly while looking at the Dorman catalog. I don't believe you could get a lug nut and the appropriate socket to fit inside the wheel's recessed hole.
If you are having problems with the current studs, you can always get a 7/16" stud with a larger shoulder. The next larger one is about .563 which requires a 9/16" reamer.
I also don't feel 1/2" is necessary for a road car. If you are considering autocross, talk to other xers to find out what they are doing.

D

DougF

Re: Up-grade to 1/2" lug bolt, which ones??[tr6] *DELETED*

Post deleted by DougF

milemarker60

I went through this challenge when changing out my studs and decided to go with ARP Part #100-7708 (GM Camaro, Firebird, Vette). I searched through all the catalogs from Dorman, etc. with no avail. These are 2.5" in length and have a .509 knurl so they pulled in just fine without the need for reaming. But, they are m12x1.5 thread. The good news is that this is a very common metric thread size and standard as well as chrome nuts are available anywhere. The bad news is your stock TR6 nuts won't fit but I figure you didn't care about that anyway since you were considering 1/2".

I found a Dremel cut-off disc worked best for trimming to length.

Dave

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
This is somewhat related to Allan's question so I"m asking it here. I have 5.5 in aluminum wheels that I want to put on my TR3. The bolt holes on these wheels are 5" measured from bolt to the bolt across the center. The stock wheel is 4.5 " bolt to bolt. I want to have new holes drilled into the aluminum wheels so they line up with the TR3 hub bolts. The stock hub bolts wont be long enough so I would have to go with longer ones..... should I go with the stock width size bolt(not sure what that is? 7/16 like the TR6?) or should I upgrade to a wider bolt and ,if I do ,is that getting too close to the edge of the hub to compromise hub strength? Karl