• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge TR7 / 8 alloy wheel lug nut shank size / length?

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I am picking up a set of 5 original equipment TR8 alloy wheels for my wedge tomorrow, but I cant seem to find info on the lug nut size for the alloy wheels.

It looks like the studs themselves are 12mm x 1.5 thread pitch (but that's not 100% for sure either) which is a more or less standard wheel stud size but what is the shank diameter for going through the wheel? what is the length of a stock alloy wheel lug nut for a wedge, and what thickness gall washer did they use by default?

the 13$ per nut price the big3 are charging is rather atrocious, but it should be relatively simple to find lug nuts I can use elsewhere for FAR less money, but I cant find the dimensions needed listed anywhere, not in my TR7 Haynes or my TR7 Bentley manual, nor in any of the original documentation.

Jegs and other places carry a ton of various sizes for much less $$$
https://www.jegs.com/p/McGard/McGard-Lug-Nuts-and-Lug-Nut-Kits/753340/10002/-1

WedgeWorks

Jedi Trainee
Call Todd. He has both the original and aftermarket lug nuts. I have a bunch of after market that need thick washers so they dont bottom out and not tighten the wheel down. He might have some rusty used ones that can be cleaned up.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
According to my calipers, the shank outer diameter is .6840 inches, shank reach is .4870 inches. Washer has an outer diameter of 1.1340 inches and the thickness of the washer(.15) actually makes the reach shorter. Anything with a shank length beyond the washer of less than 5/8" will work. Any more than that and the lug will bottom out. The wheel mounting hub thickness is around .7" Hope this helps.

WedgeWorks

Jedi Trainee
Come on Todd.......your supposed to say "Come on over we have all kinds in stock!" or "Bring your cash-in while we are slash-in!"

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
You know how that goes Mike. If I had sold him the rims, I would have given him the lug nuts and the all important center caps. I need to hang on to the lugs I have just in case I ever decide to mount up a set of stock wheels. With such a limited choice of 13" tires, I doubt that will ever happen again.

OP
justin_mercier

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I dont know if I'm getting lugs with the wheels or not, I just sort of assumed probably not, but I'm getting a set of 5 TR8 stock alloy wheels, and the tire warehouse around the corner from me has 185/70R13 in stock for very inexpensive. I like the look of the stock alloys so when offered them for a good price, I decided to pick em up =)

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
There is a set of TR7 spider wheels on a car in the junk yard around the corner from me. At least it was there last summer. I haven't been by there this year yet. Last summer they wanted $125 for the set of 5 including lugs, center caps, and the jack set in the trunk. The difference between the spider and the regular alloys is the spider wheels came in a brighter silver from the factory and had an S stamped after the part number. RKC2011 if memory serves. If your interested, I can ride by there today and see if the car is still there and if the price still holds. I'm not interested in them. The last thing I need is another set of stock alloys.

OP
justin_mercier

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
If you would be able to swing by and look, I actually would be interested. particularly if the lugs are there, as that price would be less still than I'd have to be paying for a new set of lugs from the big-3

TeamEvil

Freshman Member
"I am picking up a set of 5 original equipment TR8 alloy wheels for my wedge tomorrow, but I cant seem to find info on the lug nut size for the alloy wheels."

Well, according to your posting date, today's tomorrow. Did ya get the wheels? The lugs? What was the "good price" that you paid for 'em?

OP
justin_mercier

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I got the wheels that i was buying, and should be getting... another set tomorrow =D The first set, the previous owner said he might have the lugs in a box int he basement, and if he finds them he'll let me know

OP
justin_mercier

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
If i can find the place out in Carver tomorrow, I'll be hopefully picking up a 2nd set of alloy wheels along with lugs =P

Here is the set that I picked up today, they're in perfect condition except that the 4 that were in use need new paint, so I stripped 3 of the 4 down to primer, and need to finish the 4th tomorrow, then I'll re-paint the outsides of them all. Hopefully I can match the color of the 5th one, which is immaculate, having been the spare, and just about never seeing the sun =), but if not, I'll get something close, and just keep the spare as is. It may be hard to find a matte silver / non metallic silver wheel paint to match it. It's not exactly grey not exactly silver. The center caps are all there as well (took the other 4 off already) but they're all a little bit dented and dinged, nothing un-usable though.

wheels.jpg

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Duplicolor used to make a silver wheel paint that was perfect, but I have only seen the bright silver the last couple of times I went looking for it. Remember the stock wheels had a gummy paint and then a clear coat that was prone to flaking off. Once they are stripped, polish up the lips for a good look. Instead of tapeing the lips when you go to paint, wipe the wheels down with prep-sol then gently rub a tiny bit of petroleum jelly on the lips. Spray. When paint is dry, wipe away jelly and overspray, and you have a perfect mask job on the shiny lips. Install some new chrome valve stem to compliment the look.

OP
justin_mercier

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
The duplicolor bright silver is 'almost' right, but it's the only silver they sell now. I repainted the rims today, and should be getting tires installed tomorrow.

In this photo you can see that the 'spare' which was in perfect original shape doesnt look that far off from the other 4. It's only up close that you can see that the top 4 in the photo have metallic flake in their silver, whereas the original non-repainted rim has no metallic flake in the paint.
wedgewheels.jpg

Of course... now I've got to refurbish this 2nd set of alloy wheels, the next set being the ones that I got from the spider in the junkyard. There's some curb-rash on a couple of the spider rims, but other than that they're in good shape, and just need a thorough repainting.

With some help from Todd, I was able to fill in the rest of the lug nuts that I needed, after recovering what I was able to from the junk-yard car.

IMG_1093.JPG

TeamEvil

Freshman Member
Krylon "dull aluminum" is dead on, you cannot tell it from the original color.

Lots of the big box stores have stopped carrying Krylon in favor of Rustoleum, but I believe that Home Depot still has a small selection.

Remember, DULL aluminum, nothing else, OK?

Luck!

Oh and skip the chromed valve stems, they look OK on American rides, but are too flashy for your car. Especially since you went through all of the trouble of trying to paint the wheels in an original looking color and searched out the correct factory lugs and center caps, you know?