• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

58 sprite suspension up grade or not

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi
I have been thinking of going to coil shock front suspension with sway bar. I have had mixed reviews on how the car will handle.
Is the one Moss offers a good one or is there a better one?
This one looks good but is that still part of the old Kingpen? Revised I have looked at it closer and this now looks like Damper set up. I think all I need to do is go with a sway bar and maybe replace the lower bushing on the swivel pin. However the car is getting painted and I cannot Test for rock in the swivel pin. Will post picture of paint job soon

Thanks
Sim
SPRITE COIL AND SAWY BAR.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Every Spridget I've run across has worn front bushings on the wishbones and the need to be replaced. The first thing I did on Bugsy II was get wishbone bushings replaced, major suspension kit ordered, for a set of front discs and rear backing plates along with getting master cylinder rebushed to 3/4" in brass. A sway bar is sitting on the bench ready to be installed and 4 rebuilt shocks from Perr Caldwell will be added. Rear shocks will be taken apart, de-rusted and cleaned and painted and new bushings all around. New tie rod bushings as well. I did all of these upgrades to my '68 Sprite and the difference it made in handling was Unbelieveable. Folks think that aSpridget is nimble but they've never experienced a Soridget with a true suspension upgrade. Bugsy I handled like on rails and was truly point and go wherever you wanted to go. Stick with the tried and true. Get it running correctly and the if you aren't happy go experiment

OP
sim

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Every Spridget I've run across has worn front bushings on the wishbones and the need to be replaced. The first thing I did on Bugsy II was get wishbone bushings replaced, major suspension kit ordered, for a set of front discs and rear backing plates along with getting master cylinder rebushed to 3/4" in brass. A sway bar is sitting on the bench ready to be installed and 4 rebuilt shocks from Perr Caldwell will be added. Rear shocks will be taken apart, de-rusted and cleaned and painted and new bushings all around. New tie rod bushings as well. I did all of these upgrades to my '68 Sprite and the difference it made in handling was Unbelieveable. Folks think that aSpridget is nimble but they've never experienced a Soridget with a true suspension upgrade. Bugsy I handled like on rails and was truly point and go wherever you wanted to go. Stick with the tried and true. Get it running correctly and the if you aren't happy go experiment

Hi
Thanks I will do that But right now it is getting painted will be done in 3 weeks. Premier body and paint is doing it. Started on in February H6.jpgS4.jpgS3.jpgS2.jpgS6.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Now you're just showing off. :grin: seriously - it looks gorgeous!!!!

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Did you buy the gold one in Carlsbad, that front suspension pic was one of his

SteveGoldfarb

Freshman Member
I bought the Frontline front and rear suspension kit with AVO shocks for my "61 Bugeye. After some trial and error (both front & rear shocks are adjustable- 16 settings on rears) I've found the ride to be a bit harsh (rear shocks) but handling is markedly better. The Frontline set-up gives you a very slight negative camber up front

OP
sim

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Did you need to replace the swivel shafts? Is so
Do you know of a good source for new swivel shafts and upper and lower bushings?
thanks
Sim

G

I think I have a brand new Spax adjustable rear shock kit for your car here somewhere I can give you a good deal on. PM me if interested.

OP
sim

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I kind of like the 1/4 elliptic set up. What is the advantage of the Spax over the lever shocks? Will it help keep the tire contact on corners that are rough?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
In all honesty, I'd keep the suspension stock for street use. A full rebuild to replace all worn front end parts will work wonders.

The only thing I'd add would be disk brakes from a newer Spridget plus the dual master cylinder.

You could have the lever shocks rebuilt by Peter Caldwell of Worldwide. Very good reputation and he has high performance valves available for those shocks if desired.

https://www.nosimport.com/

My race Spridget has tube shocks but my street car is stock with lever shocks. I believe the gas-filled tube shocks have an advantage for racing but not so much for street use.

OP
sim

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi
thanks very much for the advice. I think the fronts are ok but the back may need help. I forget how to test them on the back
Sim

G

You could have the lever shocks rebuilt by Peter Caldwell of Worldwide. Very good reputation and he has high performance valves available for those shocks if desired.

[.

I'm surprised you of all people wouldn't want the option of adjustable shocks on your street car but like you said, your race car pretty much has your performance needs covered. Nothing at all against Pete (as he's going to be rebuilding my fronts) but for about the same price as a stock rebuild he can get a brand new adjustable set from me. :wink: If they were long enough to go on my '79 they would already be on it. I like the idea of having adjustable shocks on my street car if the desire arises.

G

What is the advantage of the Spax over the lever shocks? Will it help keep the tire contact on corners that are rough?

Adjustability if you so desire. $159 for stock rebuild from Pete +shipping, I don't know how much extra he charges for performance valve or if they are adjustable. Nial would know more. Pete does do good work.

OP
sim

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm surprised you of all people wouldn't want the option of adjustable shocks on your street car but like you said, your race car pretty much has your performance needs covered. Nothing at all against Pete (as he's going to be rebuilding my fronts) but for about the same price as a stock rebuild he can get a brand new adjustable set from me. :wink: If they were long enough to go on my '79 they would already be on it. I like the idea of having adjustable shocks on my street car if the desire arises.
The problem is the 58 has the 1/4 elliptic springs and none of the kits said they would work on a 58

nomad

Yoda
Peter C can supply you with adjustable lever shocks if you want to spend the coin.

Kurt.

Country flag
If your car is a LATE 58, then it would fit. You need to look at your VIN, or post a picture of your spring mounts. Also, if you REALLY want adjustable shocks, then I I think Peter C can convert yours to ONE-WAY adjustable. However, I find that the stock shocks work just fine.