• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sprite Winged Bonnet Badge.... ANYONE?

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A friend needs a winged bonnet badge.... no longer in production as far as we can tell. ANYONE have a spare?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have been trying for a year to find one. Still hope to paint the car this summer and will probably just weld the holes closed instead.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just read that the molds at the repro factory have been damaged. There will be no more made!?

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Found the LAST ONE.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Where did you find it?

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Private sale. I had put out feelers everywhere I could think and got ONE reply. I have more reports that the mold has been broken.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Nothing helpful to add, but this did bring up memories, had a Sprite in the late 70s, missing the badge, weren't easy to find, then in the early 80s discovered Victoria British--and they had the part. Now they are gone again I guess. They sure dress up the hood of a box Sprite.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That is the next thing I need to work on. I really hope to get it painted very soon and can't do that with those holes right up front. You are a lucky man Bill. Congratulations.

Country flag
3D printed version may be a viable replacement option?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I thought of that and my son-in-law has a new 3D printer. Not sure how good he is with it yet though. Bill, can you post good, straight on photos of the front and back with overall measurements? If so then I will give him a try and see what we come up with. If good I bet he could make them available for just the cost of shipping.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bein well willing to pay the shipping, I ordered one from ahspares already. Got an email the next day. Said they are back ordered. Also said they have not been able to find anyone to make them. But I will check again.

somewhatspritely

Freshman Member
Country flag
Ah, that's a shame. I'll probably get a similar order tomorrow then.

I have a battered original one and a modern one but given the comments here thought I'd order a spare.

Looking it how the badges are made I 'd be inclined to make a silicon mould and cast in clear epoxy. Then the paint could be applied to the inside and it should look pretty good.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The only one I have is one my car. I just acted as a searcher for a friend. Between us, we checked with every dealer we could find on the web using the searches, "bonnet badge" "bonnet emblem", "hood badge" and "hood emblem" for Austin Healey Sprite. EVERY one that was contacted reported being back ordered once the order was placed. ..We must have tried about 20 different places. The person who actually is getting the badge has attempted to make molds unsuccessfully. ..

3D printing may be an option, but otherwise there are essentially no more to be had.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well, I just couldn't wait any longer. I welded the holes closed and got some epoxy on the bonnet. If the badge ever magically appears, I can always drill them out again. Actually, it's not a bad look as is, IMHO, of course. No hardware installed yet so alignment is off a little but here it is.

Attachments

• BonnetPrimedLow.jpg
    BonnetPrimedLow.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 117

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Wouldn't you know. Just like finding that lost tool or part right after you buy its replacement. Says "ma not post to US." have requested info but no answer yet.