• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Talk me out of it- '79 B for play and track [noob]

JayP

Freshman Member
Talk me out of it before my wife does.
Since nature hates a vacuum and I moved into a house with 3 car spots, I have to fill that hole.

I've found local a '79 somewhat cheap. Used as a semi daily driver, no rust and from the owner, it's original. I've not seen the car yet. I'd prefer a GT for the hardtop and 2+2.

But here is what I do- go to the track, running roadcourses with driving events. The car would be lowered, stiffer shock valves, f/r antiroll bars, and every bushing replaced.

Engine may need help, at the least replace the Zenith.

So- my question... is anyone using a semi-prepped 'B for track events? Not wholesale racing, since the car will be street legal.

This car looks exactly like the 'B stashed at my folks house. It's unsuitable for heavy duty use (cut/shunt car, been wrecked a few times). I did prep it for autox with race springs, roll bars, etc. All done by myself which makes another B look good to me.

Please, someone tell me to buy a Miata and race tires and be done with it.

Of course I wifey can trump it all.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Re: Talk me out of it- '79 B for play and track [n

heh... you stacked the deck outta the box by posting here. Very cagey of you Jay! Welcome to the whacko shack. Get the B, set it up the way you want and go thrash it about! The B's are so stout you'll get years out of a well prepped one.

*PSST!!* Parts for a Miata will not likely be available in the abundance the B parts are (and will be) ten or twenty years down the road, either.

Just my biased opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Bret

Yoda

Welcome aboard!

The beauty of a 79 is that it comes with front & rear sway bars so your modifications should be pretty simple. Lowering is pretty simple using springs, but’ve been told that to do it properly, you should use an early cross member. But I just used lowering springs front & rear and am pretty happy.

Do replace all the bushings – you won’t regret it. But check the aforementioned cross-member’s bushings. I found that mine where toasted.

My only concern would be the removal of the old Zenith Stromberg off of a 79. I don’t know the emissions laws in Texas, but I recommend checking them out before you pull anything.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Welcome to our clubhouse!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Nice as always to have a new face.

OP
J

JayP

Freshman Member
If I don't purchase the MG, I'll be checking in...

I've been driving track events for close to 10 years but in my daily driver (scary). I want a car I can beat on all weekend and not have to depend on to get to work on Monday.

Thing is- I've considered all kinds of cars. Porsches- too expensive, VWs- I can't do all the work, etc. The MGs are easy enough to work on, take a beating (as my '80 survived 8 years of high school) and cheap.

And I know MGs in and out.

Anyway- I'll post in after I see the car this weekend.

Attached is the old '80. Note camber courtesy of a run in with a Peugeot.

Attachments

• 215730-autox.jpg
    215730-autox.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 67

mattmacklind3

Jedi Hopeful
Re: If I don't purchase the MG, I'll be checking in...

Awesome idea if you ask me. I started autocrossing a 71 GT. I did everything to it you said you wanted to do, minus lowering and a rear sway bar. I did use a heavier front sway bar, though (5/8). Its a lot of fun, and I've managed to keep up with some, I stress some, of the Miata's out there. One other driver has a 77 B that usually finishes around .5 seconds ahead of me, I credit his lack of a heavy roof, but he's not too bad a driver either.

You probably won't set any records but its great fun, and you do get a lot of attention trackside just because you're running an older car.
sepea2.jpg

When I first posted these photos, I got a hard time because it was "rolling" too much. The I saw other B's that were mildly prepared at track events and in photos, and that's nothing! Anyway, have fun and keep us posted!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Re: If I don't purchase the MG, I'll be checking i

From 1969 thru 1975 I autocrossed a 1965 MGB that was a daily driver as well. It was supplanted by an Elan as the autocross car but shoulder'd on as a daily for 250K miles (1979). Dual duty is not asking too much of a well maintained B. Don't expect FTD's, especially with a '79 BUT: it will ALWAYS carry you home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you decide to dedicate a B to weekend events, carried to and fro on a trailer, the sky's the limit!

GO FER IT!!!!

OP
J

JayP

Freshman Member

8 years... that's my brother and me. He hit more things than I did though.

What started this mess was instructing a student in an early '80s Fiat Spider. OK power but handled like a slotcar. The car was fun to drive and it held it's own on the roadcourse. Only the long straights did anyone pass.

I knew if I found a straight B, I'd have to snatch it up. Rubber bumper Bs are cheaper than the pre-74s, but I prefer them anyway.

About that '80... We lived in Tennessee. No smog, no techs. That car ran a straight exhaust, tube headers, Weber and ran with slicks on the street. Fun stuff.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Again I'll say: you've already made up your mind.

Welcome and please stick. You've the experience and mettle to be a life-long friend here! 18V engines are easily "breathed on" to become rev-happy. That rubber bumper thing could be problematic tho. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No doubt you've lurked.

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I've got a '79 I'd do the same thing to, but there are no track events in Memphis and the auto-x events are too few to make it worth the bother...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

and regular "street" driving is too boring to spur you to be an "offensive" driver Joe??? Where's yer SPIRIT, man!?!?!

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I have the '78 for my normal on-street aggresive driving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Joe... glad your still with us... We picked up a Joe Reed thismorning... I thought of you. But luckily, his address and age didn't make the cut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Maybe it was a long, long lost relative....one who is going to leave me his MG collection and a large bank account. Nope...can't be...all my relatives are dirt poor...just like me...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Joe - so is this in addition to the Green B in your photo?

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Yeah...I've still got that Pagent Blue '79 that belonged to my brother-in-law. Just haven't had time to do anything to it. One day I think I'll just sell it as is; next day I think I'll take care of some needed repairs and sell it for a better price as a halfway decent driver/rolling resto project; next day I think I'll keep it.

Is this how you got started? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

[ QUOTE ]
Is this how you got started?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - 1 car...then a parts car for it...then a 2nd car...another parts car, etc, etc...& the rest is history

you're on your way!

JM1NA

I have a miata and a RB MGB. It's a pretty hard arguement either way. The MGB will stand out more at events, for sure. But in reality there's more possibility of something breaking on the B than on the miata. You can beat on a miata all day and drive it home and it'll be begging for more.
Yeah, there aren't as many spare parts kicking around for miatas. Why? They don't need them! There's a reason why you see so many miatas at autocross events, etc. They're entertaining and easy to learn proper driving techinques on.
And they embarrass many a more expensive car in their stock setup.
I say if you're willing to go through the pain, try it with the MG, just for the fun to see an old sportscar out on the track. If time and money is limited, Id say go with a miata. You're guaranteed more driving time and less repair time.