• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OT - let's talk about car control

G

The most amazing thing is the look on the driver's face the whole time. He is out for a "Sunday drive." I am reminded of Hannibal Lecter, who chewed off a woman's face and ate it while his heartbeat never increased.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tom, thanks for posting that... now, probably my favorite TG clip. I'm a TV editor by trade, and besides admiring the fun factor of the segment, I truly appreciate the production and editorial decisions involved...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I agree, Kevin. The timing of some of those cuts was beautiful. The jump with the 130 fly-by particularly.

...and I liked th' Cessna "suck-n-blow" taxi shots, too.

Whole thing is very impressive from a production standpoint.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
lol, you guys finally discovered "drifting." This is what all the "kids" are into. Its just rallying while showing off... ...at one point it used to be about speed. Now its all about show.

My favorite is this one. I always get the Top Gear and Fifth Gear confused with each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PtnLrA1M-o

PeterK

Yoda
Drifting is the only form of motorsports (loosely) that I don't care for. I think I like monster trucks better than drifting. Don't tell the rally guys that drifting is a form of rallying lol.

Hip Hop & Rap are the only forms of music (again, really loosley) that I don't care for. Let's scream about hate to a beat. Yo.

Finally a reason to not want to be younger.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
PeterK said:
Drifting is the only form of motorsports (loosely) that I don't care for. I think I like monster trucks better than drifting. Don't tell the rally guys that drifting is a form of rallying lol.

Odd, I would say dont tell all the wannabe drifters. You see, the american youth culture seems to think that drifting came from Japan. Racers drifting in the mountains. It was either slow very down for a turn, increasing your time, or drift through the turn, maintaining a more desirable speed.

But these drifters learned the technique from the european ralliers. You see, in the US, people drift american cars because they have them, but seek out japanese cars. In japan, they drift japanese cars because they have them, but seek out european cars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Hip Hop & Rap are the only forms of music (again, really loosley) that I don't care for. Let's scream about hate to a beat. Yo.

Finally a reason to not want to be younger. [/QUOTE]

Ah, but Hip Hop <span style="font-style: italic">IS</span> rap. You see, back in the day RAP, or "Retards Attempting Poetry," was very basic. Basically sighting poetry to a beat, like all those beatniks usta do. Then in the late 80s rap slipt into two. You had "Hip Hop" (what I consider Will Smith songs to be) and "Gangsta Rap" (which is anything that involves killing someone, getting killed, or saying the N word)

PeterK

Yoda
UmmYeahOk said:
[Ah, but Hip Hop <span style="font-style: italic">IS</span> rap.

I stand corrected. And I don't care for <span style="text-decoration: line-through">them</span> it. Yo. :laugh:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That kind of arrogonce discusts me.It's just showing off.
In California,if you run an auto-x at an airport,you need to
shut the airport down for 8 hours,per FAA regulations.
We ran autocrosses on the local,small airport.The pilots
hated us!They'd do "touch & go" landings just to annoy us.Very
irresponsible to be driving like that at an active airport.I'm
sure that it was shut down to allow this kind of driving.
Also,why is he doing this in Southern California with
Vermont plates?Sounds like it's done just for entertainment.
I can't stand to watch drifting,it's right up there with the
lowriders,& their hydraulics.It doesn't make the car handle better,
it's just all about the "look at me" mentality.

- Doug

PeterK

Yoda
ka shizzle. My izzle has now fizzled. Just having fun last night.

We used to autocross at a closed military airstrip at Fort Devens Mass. It's a 3 hour drive to get there but always a lot of great cars in every class and long very fast courses. My drifting was driftin' off course while hangin' it out a bit too much. I got LOTS of style points when I drove. :driving:

But I really love yo yo ma. Does that count?

If I'm in the hood, does that mean I'm driving with the top up?

And a beatbox meant that you have to double clutch on the upshift.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
AngliaGT said:
That kind of arrogonce discusts me.It's just showing off.
In California,if you run an auto-x at an airport,you need to
shut the airport down for 8 hours,per FAA regulations.
We ran autocrosses on the local,small airport.The pilots
hated us!They'd do "touch & go" landings just to annoy us.Very
irresponsible to be driving like that at an active airport.I'm
sure that it was shut down to allow this kind of driving.
Also,why is he doing this in Southern California with
Vermont plates?Sounds like it's done just for entertainment.
I can't stand to watch drifting,it's right up there with the
lowriders,& their hydraulics.It doesn't make the car handle better,
it's just all about the "look at me" mentality.

- Doug
UmmYeahOk said:
Its just rallying while showing off... ...at one point it used to be about speed. Now its all about show.

Thats what drifting in the US is all about. Thats why I dont consider him a rally driver. He may be, but in that video hes a drifter.

I like it. I think its cool. Its like figure skating, but with cars. But I dont think Id actually go to an event because its too loud, and since all theyre doing is burning tires all day, Id rather not become as brain dead as everyone else who goes.

I wanted to get into the motorsport myself (yes, its a motorsport since there are points involved) But it requires a HUGE investment. Huge, meaning that since you dont immediately have sponsors, you had to buy your own tires. Since Im a novice, with zero experience, I could spend $1000 a day just on tires alone training. And thats on the local level. Not to mention the risks involved in damaging your car. My neighbor, who we suspect does this, had his car repoed. He bought a new car, modified the crap out of it, and changes out entire wheel sets every week (new rims). He took out another loan to get his car back

Anyway, I would have been awesome because if successful, I would have been the first girl to make it that far, and the first domestic car, maybe even the first american... ...but now theres tons of girls and domestics running, and now the americans who went "pro" now have enough training to beat the japanense.

I just cant see putting in the initial investment on something that you may not even be any good at.

Drift_My_Ride-01.jpg

PeterK said:
We used to autocross at a closed military airstrip at Fort Devens Mass. It's a 3 hour drive to get there but always a lot of great cars in every class and long very fast courses. My drifting was driftin' off course while hangin' it out a bit too much. I got LOTS of style points when I drove. :driving:

Autocrossing is different. If youre doing what hes doing, odds are, youre going slower than if you would just drive normally. Clearly autocrossing on pavement is different than rallying on a mud track.

We always used parking lots. Safe parking lots with no parking blocks, no light poles, etc. And on some special days we even got to autocross at inside TX motor speedway, rather than outside it. It was cool to acually be on the track, but the track wasnt ever as fun.

I dont consider autocrossing showing off. Some people consider it a competitive sport. I just do it so I can handle my car when the idiots are out, rather than slam right into em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]ka shizzle. My izzle has now fizzled. Just having fun last night.

And a beatbox meant that you have to double clutch on the upshift.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, they keep changing it. It usta be...

"da bomb"
"all that"
"all that plus a bag of chips"
"off the chain"
"off the hook"
"off the hizzy"

All I know is that white people arent allowed to say "[censored]" even though words like "cracker" and "honkie" can be used by anyone regardless of race.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
PeterK said:
ka shizzle. My izzle has now fizzled. Just having fun last night.

But I really love yo yo ma. Does that count?

And a beatbox meant that you have to double clutch on the upshift.

LOL Peter

RobT

Jedi Warrior
PeterK said:

Oh yeah - I've autocrossed (the Mini) there too. Great spot, lottsa fun. The state cops have their driving course there also, and park the cruisers along by the track. Big bonus points if you loose it and side swipe a couple of cruisers. Also the Subaru guys claimed that the local dealers were secretly photographing events and denying warranty claims to WRX owners if they were caught on film. Not sure if that was true or just healthy paranoia.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
RobT said:
PeterK said:

Oh yeah - I've autocrossed (the Mini) there too. Great spot, lottsa fun. The state cops have their driving course there also, and park the cruisers along by the track. Big bonus points if you loose it and side swipe a couple of cruisers. Also the Subaru guys claimed that the local dealers were secretly photographing events and denying warranty claims to WRX owners if they were caught on film. Not sure if that was true or just healthy paranoia.

Odd... ...sounds like here. The cops would come to watch. But I often wondered if they were just waiting for us to have fun off the track.

The dealer paranoia was here too. People would remove their license plates. Sometimes taping them up, or replacing them with fake vanity plates.

Mitsubishi was notorious for this. Mostly because their vehicle had so many issues. They were looking at any way possible for them to wiggle out of their warranty. Personally, if youre trying to sell me an Evo or STI, it better be able to do everything the brochure and salesperson tells me it can do. If it cant do anything but carry groceries because it will void the warranty, then I dont want it. If its not designed to for cornering, hard braking, or rapid acceleration, then I may as well buy a minivan! And people wonder why the car industry is in the hole. If you cant back up your product, I dont want it. Besides, most 21st century vehicles are ugly looking anyway. The ones that arent ugly, just look seriously pi$$ed off.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Kick butt! Ive known a little secret for the longest most painful time ever! A little secret that I couldnt tell anyone about ever.

I know none of you are into this stuff at all, but my companies redubbing Initial D! Its pretty much the only anime Ive ever cared about. Since theyve finally announced it publicly, I can tell everyone I see!!!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-09-25/funimation-adds-x-tv/oav-5-initial-d-anime-stages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_d

Its on topic, I swear! Its all about drifting in regards to speed, so sorta like rallying. I highly recomend watching fan subs to get a feel for the show. Dont watch any english until we redub it (the current english dub is way to lame)

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've autocrossed (& was fotunate to get many trophys),
but still don't understand drifting.Autocrossing is trying
to get the best time on a course.It takes skill,car control,
etc.You learn to set the car up to handle better,which leads
to how to react to emergency situations in the real world.
Drifting is only a limited way to waste tires,gas,& put
wear & tear on a car.How does this relate to the real world?

- Doug

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
AngliaGT said:
I've autocrossed (& was fotunate to get many trophys),
but still don't understand drifting.Autocrossing is trying
to get the best time on a course.It takes skill,car control,
etc.You learn to set the car up to handle better,which leads
to how to react to emergency situations in the real world.
Drifting is only a limited way to waste tires,gas,& put
wear & tear on a car.How does this relate to the real world?

- Doug

Drifting "takes skill, car control, etc." If you know how to loose traction, and can control your car when youve lost traction, then you can safely avoid collisions. Unfortunately most people end up colliding with things during the learning process.

I cant tell you how many times Ive lost my rear end making a turn. Im not gunning it, or anything. I just somehow lose traction and do 180s and 360s in front of traffic. Ive started to learn how to keep my rear end behind me involving letting off the gas, and then getting back on it. Some would call that an impressive powerslide. I call it correcting a horrible mistake.

I believe that if I knew how to drift, I would be better at handling my car in the real world, and in events such as rain and snow. I recall seeing a show where forumla D drivers taught nascar drivers how to drift. When they got back to the oval track, instead of spinning out and DNFing when someone hit them, they were able to regain control, by drifting, and continue the lap.

Ever seen Disney/Pixar Cars with your kids? They never once called it drifting. Mostly because the technique was learned on a dirt track, but it was the same thing, and the piston cup (nascar) star was able to recover because he learned to drift.

swift6

Yoda
UmmYeahOk said:
I cant tell you how many times Ive lost my rear end making a turn. Im not gunning it, or anything. I just somehow lose traction and do 180s and 360s in front of traffic. Ive started to learn how to keep my rear end behind me involving letting off the gas, and then getting back on it. Some would call that an impressive powerslide. I call it correcting a horrible mistake.

I believe that if I knew how to drift, I would be better at handling my car in the real world, and in events such as rain and snow.

Sorry, I really have to chime in on this. If your losing traction , with 180's and/or 360's, under normal driving, then you are either driving too fast for road conditions or there is something wrong with your suspension set up and/or brakes.

Throttle steering can be a very useful tool in car control and balancing cars through corners. An intentional powerslide can be a demonstration of car control. An unintentional powerslide is losing control of the vehicle plain and simple. Controlling your car in the "real world" conditions of rain and snow as you describe is about driving at an appropriate speed to road conditions. Full Stop. Clutch kicks and E-brakes turns will not help you regain control once its gone. Drifting is about balancing on the edge of losing traction.

Both drifting and Autocross skills could help with car control in emergency situations on the street because you may be less likely to over-react to the sudden loss of control. However demonstrating your ability to control the car during a loss of traction moment could also see you in traffic court with LEO's who will maintain that you were driving too fast for conditions.

mikecyc72usa

Jedi Trainee
Here in TX if it so much as drips two drops of rain, the roads are ice. I grew up in the northeast and dealt with snow and ice all the time. Here in Austin, I can be going a totally appropriate speed and come around a corner where it's rained a minute longer and boom, I'm sliding all over. Never driven roads that had tendencies like this. I was considered a decent rain driver when I was racing vintage and SCCA, and in cycling I'm considered one of the better guys out there in the rain in the peloton.