• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 Please talk to me about Rotoflex, GT6 in general

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi all,

I'd eventually like to get a GT6 and seem to recall hearing something about Rotoflex, but forget the details. Can any of you GT6 afficianodos give me some guidance about various desireable and less-than-desireable factors with these cars? What years/models are "best" and why? What should I watch out for when shopping? Any desirable optional features to look for?

I've also heard GT6 gearboxes are iffy. What about dropping a TR6 g'box in a GT6? Heck, what about putting a TR6 2.5L engine in there - along with the gearbox - then slappin' on a Webcon EFI system and some other go-fast goodies? That should go like a spanked ape! Hmmmm, I wonder how much tire and wheel can be crowded onto a GT6? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm pretty well aware of rust issues and where they might hide. I personally like the Mk III body style (except for the big honkin' rubber bumper overriders), but the earlier body style has its appeal too.

Your opinions and observations would be very much welcome.

Thanks in advance!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
hi alan,
i thought i'd like one of those also but i just don't fit (6'-2"). read kas's two books.i believe you now have both.
good luck
rob

BobSands

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Alan... Try "Googleing" Spitfire and GT6 Magazine; look for the "site map", go to "just for fun", and the Engine Swap link. Search for Spit6 conversions
Seems like the TR6 gearbox is HUGE, in comparison with the standard GT6. The TR6 intake manifold, and oil pan have to be changed, or modified to fit under the existing hoo...bonnet.
Sounds like a fun car, though...good luck!
Take care Bob

OP
Alan_Myers

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Fortunately, I suppose, I'm 5'-9" Rob! Yes, I've been looking in Kas' books for info.

Thanks, Bob. I have been looking around that site and see lots of info.

I'd still appreciate any comments from GT6 owners here on BCF, if anyone cares to add their 2 cents worth.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

SportsSixter

Freshman Member
Hi Alan, I'm 5'11" and it's JUST big enough I find - 'snug' I think is the word.

Regarding rotoflex etc, if you are serious about road/track racing I'd say you probably DO want to get a car with it (which shouldn't be too hard if you want a mk3) but I have a mk1, as slack and scary as you can imagine where suspension is concerned, and its still great fun on the windy country roads (you do GET those in the US right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) and nowhere near as bad as everyone made out before I bought it.

Not sure about the gearbox thing, not had any problems so far and I can't say its a regular topic for discussion in the UK club forums.

Took a look at your rolling chassis on 'triumphowners.com', nice K&N filter, i know its a strange thing to notice but ive never seen one here in UK.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: Please talk to me about Rotoflex, GT6 in gener

Ok, I googled Rotoflex and all I came up with was something about a driveline joint in a Land Rover. I give!
don

TR_Jim

Jedi Trainee
Most seem to be of the opinion that the GT6+ is the most desirable. It had a little more HP than the MKI, and didn't have the emissions crap like the MKIII. There are many opinions as to which rear suspension is better, but I think that depends on how you intend to use the car. I have a MKI (fixed spring), had a MKIII (rotoflex)and I can't say I noticed a big difference in handling. I don't race or rally my cars, pleaseure driving only, so I don't push the limits. One thing I do know...the rotoflex couplings are a real bear to change.

I have had no problem with room (being 5'8"), but the interior heat issue is real. I spent a lot of time sealing the trans tunnel, even applied heat shield material to the inside, and under the front carpets and that helped a lot. But on a 90 Degree day, sitting in traffic, you're gonna sweat.

Now for the fun part. The quickness of the GT6 is better than any other Triumph I've driven. Somehow you just can't resist hitting the pedal and taking off. How I haven't gotten several tickets by now is a miracle. I especially like second gear...hit it at 25 or 30 mph and before you can bring your head back upright you're hitting 60. Great Fun!

You mentioned a 2.5L? Well that's what I have in my Spit6. It's tied to a later MKIII GT6 gearbox, no problems so far. Squealing tires in 3 gears without trying. Scares me sometimes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but what a ride!

But when all is said and done...I like the style of the MKI.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
Most seem to be of the opinion that the GT6+ is the most desirable. It had a little more HP than the MKI, and didn't have the emissions crap like the MKIII.

[/ QUOTE ]
The early (1971 model) Mk3 had about the same power as did the 1969-70 GT6+ in the States: 95 hp give or take a couple. From 1972 on, compression was lowered significantly, and power dropped to around 79 hp.

I had both a 1970 GT6+ and a 1972 Mk3. Never drove them back-to-back, but I do recall the 1970 being a bit stronger. But with that smooth, torquey six, it doesn't matter all that much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Both had the rotoflex rear suspensions; both were great handlers. A bit softer than a Spitfire, but then that makes for a slightly better cruiser. I once gave a neighbor of mine a 25-mile ride to a dealer to pick up his Buick from the service dept. Swear to God, he told me that my GT6 rode as nicely as his Buick! But once one accepts the heavy nose, it's also a great handler. I had a lot of success in autocross events back in the 1970s in my area with my 6+ and even had a couple of FTD trophies! (Car was bone-stock except for 175/70SR13s replacing the original 155SR13s, and Konis replaced the OEM shocks.)

I put a lot of miles on both cars and never had any problems with the gearbox in either one. Yes, 2nd gear synchro in particular maybe got a bit weak, but that's to be expected.

I'm 5'6", so I had no trouble fitting inside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I never considered either one outrageously hot inside, at least not any more so than any other non-air-conditioned car in a hot upstate NY summer.

For a couple of years, the '70 was my only car. A roof luggage rack meant I could carry ladders and other tools around, and/or I could stuff the car full of pylons for setting up our local autocrosses.

Worst mechanical problem I ever had was through my own neglect: I broke an inner axle (between Rotoflex and diff.) because I didn't pay attention to the u-joint that was going away. Also did one clutch and one rear wheel bearing change on that car, along with the usual brakes, tires and such.

For various reasons, I didn't have the '72 as long, nor did I drive it nearly as much. But I hardly did ANYTHING at all to that car while I had it. (What a survivor that car was: it had been front-end wrecked probably more than once before I got it well-used, but repaired well each time and continued to drive straight and true all the while I had it. Sold it about 15 years ago to a buddy who still has it but doesn't get to use it much.)

Only reason I "parked" the '70 was due to rust. I've still got it stored and may actually do something with it again someday (only been 25 years now). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Rippthrough

I'm 6'2" and had to switch to MX-5 seats to get a little more room. No heat problems though, as 1) it's not running yet and 2) it has the sunroof.

Bugeye58

Yoda

Alan, to answer your question about desireable features to look for, I would say the overdrive would be first on my list. Wire wheels look nice, but that's a matter of personal preference.
I'm partial to the Mk.I version myself, but that's just a quirk of my own.
I haven't finished my '67 yet, but in the little bit I have driven it, I had forgotten how quick the cars are. The overdrive cars have a 3.89:1 rear gear, versus the 3.26:1 of the non OD versions.
A friend who used to work for Luigi Chinetti, of North American Ferrari fame, once told me that the MkI GT6 was the hottest car she had ever driven. I'm sure she was talking of interior temperatures, rather than performance, as her daily driver at the time was a Ferrari.
The MkI's don't have the dash ventilators and rear quarter vents of the later cars, and can get stuffy. The rare Webasto sunroof would be a nice option to have.
Jeff