• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Someone talk me out of this....

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
The only people who should own French cars live in France...

BTW...who is Poo-Joe?

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
I can see the appeal- I think it's a stylish car and takes me back to the 80's. I'd look into parts availability and cost, and also go and look underneath it and drive it. Not sure how much of a problem the broken odometer would be.

Is that a vacuum gauge on top of the motor??

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I tried to buy a 504 once, but my Dad beat me to it. Best thing that ever happened to me, as I bought an Audi 100LS instead that turned out to be better in every way. The Peugeot had less power and burned more gas. Also had weird components in the braking system that could not be replaced (even Peugeot no longer supplied them); and a weird problem with the brakes that a whole bevy of professional mechanics (including the dealer) never could sort out.

I eventually found & fixed the problem with the brakes myself, but it remained a slow gas hog compared to the Audi.

Friend of mine here in CA bought a 505 with the V6 new, and had no end of trouble with blown head gaskets. When the engine was finally replaced completely, they sold it quick before anything else could go wrong. That was just about the time Peugeot quit selling in the US, because of their terrible reputation. Come to think of it, I think that car was light cream or silver ...

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
That 2.8L is the not so good PVR engine. Go to any Volvo site and check out what they have to say about it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonod.gif

https://www.brickboard.com/

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I am all for the 505! but I would prefer to have a 404. I see pick up truck versions of the 404 and very rarely 505s every so often. The 505 even came in a 4x4 pickup version totally indestructible, but I am pretty sure it didn't have any springs! That was one rough ride.
Not so sure about the parts situation in the states, but the 505s were built to last, and given the number of survivor cars I see around here, parts must be available.

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I'd go for a Renault, but a Peugeot? Not so much. Where would you get parts?

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
"bought an Audi 100LS instead that turned out to be better in every way"

Drove a 72 Audi 100ls in High School. The car was a true sleeper at the time. Blew the doors many American muscle cars in So Cal in the day. Had the car up to 110 mph on late night racing an El Camino (what was I thinking). My brothers imported 505 Peugeot was a dog. My uncle is still a Peugeot dealer in the old country.

Paul

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Was that was a European version ? The US-spec engines had smog equipment, different camshaft and made less power. Mine was a 70, before they had to lower the compression ratio for unleaded fuel. Slightly more power than the later low compression version, even though the displacement was a little less, and better fuel mileage to boot. I used to lust over the power figures listed in the book for the non-US versions, but never did anything about it.

Regretted junking that car, right after I test-drove a new Audi. Scared the salesman half to death because I expected a new one to have even more power than my old, tired one did; but it was like driving a Volkswagen !
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
You asked, so here we go: The 404 was a world famous vehicle that is still found in many countries, and all over the Middle East and even Africa. Later versions proved to be not of the same reliability or caliber, and may have led to the abandonment of the US market. I recently gave serious, serious thought to buying a used Peugeot. I dropped the idea after seeing the sparse, almost non-existent supply of used, critical components. I was invited to deal in Argentina and Europe, and even then with questionable results. Gosh, no one wants to rain on someone's passion, but I couldn't go Peugeot right now. New ones are being imported to Canada and Mexico I'm told. I'd get a Mini Cooper, Austin Healey, or a Triumph--or a late 60s or early 70s Chevelle or Camaro and have a blast. Just me. Good luck.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The first $800-$1,000 to buy it will be easy.

The heartache begins after that.

If that's all he'll get now, what will you get for it later?

Read this and turn off your computer until after midnight.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Was that was a European version? Yes, no smog imported by the previous owner (a well known So Cal lawyer) from France! LOL. Loved that car, even though it was not really cool to drive in HS in the late 70's.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
You're supposed to be off line until the bidding is over. Nothing bad can happen there.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
The 403 was COOL. The 404 was cool. Much after that, not so cool. In New Haven, CT, I believe the children of several dealer employees were able to attend good colleges thanks to the money my sister spent for service there on her 505.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Another interesting French "classic" -

Citroen DS 21 Pallas

DS was also a French pun - the spoken letters DS = "goddess" in French.

To me anyway it's *the* classic French car.

T.

T

Tinster

I had a girlfriend with one of those Citronellas
DS 21s.

Didn't they have a weird hydraulic suspension that
would raise the tail going up hills and raise the
front going down hills. To help maintain a level ride?

Or am I geezing again?