• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Someone talk some sense into me...

G

I'm supposed to be getting the car back on Friday morning.

Its been gone for so long, and I've had so many problems that the magic has sort of worn off. I'm seriously considering selling it and buying a 7 clone - probably a super stalker rather than a Caterham or a Locost (unless someone wants to straight swap for an original 63 in decent condition /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

So I have two questions - #1 is has anyone actually driven one of these things and how was it (I drove a Caterham with a 1700 Kent in a few years ago, it was quick but not *that* quick), and #2 although I expect partisan answers on this board, is there a downside to doing it? My car is modified but with all new parts, and I know I'll be lucky to get 1/2 what I have in it so forget that aspect. I don't think the box or the diff affect the value that much. I still have the originals for concours freaks.

I quite fancy doing the build for the new one; it'd be a nice winter project and its straight wrenching, no welding. I can't afford two toys so thats not an option.

Have I lost my mind completely?

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
You have put a lot into the six. But if the fun is gone, sometimes it is best to move on.

That said, I saw my first Lotus Super 7 run against a Vette in the 70's at Laguna Seca. The Vette over took the 7 between turns 5 and 6. Coming out of turn turn 3, the 7 had sufficient lead to hold the Vette off until turn 5 and 6, and so the race went until the 7 blew it's engine.

Neat cars, a friend of mine was interested in doing what you are contemplating, instead he bought a used Acura NSX for $25,000. Zero to 60 in 4.5 sec, top speed 168. Rather then building, he chose to drive. I drove the car and what a hoot. Fastest and best thing I ever got behind the wheel of.

OP
G

Alan,
I have driven a real Lotus 7 and the one word that came to mind was: scary! The street-legal knockoffs are probably just as scary, totally useless as anything but a scat-car. Unless you plan on autocrossing on the weekends, can't see owning one.

You've come so far on the TR6, and it's almost there, I say get her steetable and enjoy her for a while. At least finish it so you can sell it.

I would not go the route of the 7 clone because of the total impracticality of it, but that may be what attracts you to it, something totally radical and different. In my mind, it would be a great 5th or 6th car. The TR6 can double as a real driver and a radical machine that will always garner it's share of attention and give you pleasure.

Just me.

OP
G

TR6OldTimer - An NSX won't do 0-60 in 4.5s, more like 5.5, which is BMW 335 territory and a good part of the reason a used one is only 25k, and the new ones didn't sell that well. I looked at one a couple of years ago, and it wasn't my thing.

Bill - I've never driven the originals, but I'm old enough to have seen the prisoner, which is part of the attraction. The clones are "afternoon" cars - if you're in it for the afternoon you're done. That said, the TR6 isn't much better imo. It's the third car so its not like I need it for daily transportation.

Plus now it *is* supposed to be finished, just running on triples rather than fi, so I could sell it as a driver. I might end up divorced mind unless I approach it right - swmbo's so fed up with all the complaints over the last year that I'm told I have to keep it for ever; and she doesn't even care for it...

swift6

Yoda
Alan, your feelings are certainly understandable but do you think it could be precisely because you haven't been able to drive and enjoy the car for so long. The money that you have invested is already spent. Try to get some ROI. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sevens and their clones are deceptive in the acceleration department. They don't shove you back in your seat like you might have been used to with those German cars, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif but they are still much quicker than they feel. One of my local club members has a Caterham that he takes to several track days throughout the summer months. The kicker is that he and his wife drive the car up to four hours one way to make it to some of these events. That is dedication! Those are easy trips in my TR8 or TR6 but in a Caterham its downright impressive.

I do seem to recall that our 'frames' are similar. That being said I can certainly understand your Stalker idea. Plus you can put a pretty torquey V6 in them and I get the feeling that you really enjoy torque (as do I). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

swift6

Yoda
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

I knew you were a torque guy! Nearly 300lb.ft. in a 1500lb car! Crikey! Looks like fun!

I think I might try to get a frequent customer discount with TireRack or my local tire store of choice if I were to build one of those. Even with a stock supercharged 3800! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
Wait till you get the car back and have driven it a few times before making any decisions. You might be surprised and the magic may reappear.

R6MGS

Yoda
Alan, you've put so much into your TR6 that you owe it to yourself to give it at least one summer of driving before sending it down the road for good. I've felt the same way about particular cars at times, I usually just put it the garage for awhile and forget about it, then come back to it with a new outlock!
And personally I'd take a 6 over any of the 7's.
Get your 6 back on Friday, drive it all weekend and I bet you'll feel much better.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Alan,

Like the others I can understand your thoughts... Most of us have been there, the "get this thing away from me" mentality can really be strong when you're on the bleeding edge of restomodification (my new word), I know some of the people in my local club see me as something of an oddity (i.e. why bother with triple carbs, LSD, high tech half-shafts??).. plus there's not too many local resources that I can really count on since most shops don't want mess with the these nifty upgrades.

I've came pretty close to selling my little TR6 a few times this year... between not having enough room for both my boys and all the mechanical issues, mostly caused by items that I've upgraded.

But I have to say, hearing that little 2.5 motor scream up to 6000rpms through those 2" pipes has got to be one of the best sounds that there is. Plus it gets more attention on the road than Paris Hilton walking around in 10 yards of Saran Wrap (besides WHO hasn't seen her??)

The 7 is nice I suppose, but even the originals look like a kit car... maybe an Excalibur on an anorexic diet.

Please do me a favor.. get the 6 back on the road and give her an honest chance. If after that, you're not satisfied, get the 7.. or a Cobra???

OP
G

I cant do a cobra. There is a local show (Bear Mountain for those who live around here) on a Wednesday night in the summer. You'll see a half dozen of them at any given show. I looked at the Factory five kit a couple of years ago before buying the TR-6, decided it wasn't my thing.

The only Lotus 7 I've seen though is for sale in CT (it's a real one), but the guy wants too much money for it.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Alan,

After all you've put into it, I'd want to drive that 6 for at least a full summer before making any decisions. There will always be lots of other cars around to tempt you, but only that one particular 6 has seen all your work and efforts put into it.

I don't know the specs on the NSX, but a couple years ago a guy my Dad works with had twin turbos installed on his... flew a couple factory engineers in from Tokyo (to Colorado) to set it up. Bet that was pricey! But, I bet it's fun to drive!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
A TR6 will always be a Triumph TR6 unless you butcher it badly. Once born a kit car, always a kit car.

OP
G

I think its the gearbox that was the final straw. I paid $1000 for a rebuilt W58 gearbox so I wouldn't have problems with it. It came with a 6 month warranty - how bad could it be, right?

It's done maybe 10 miles. It was spewing oil out of the back seal. Of course because the car has been sitting for so long it's not warrantied (and the labor isn't covered anyway). It took 2 weeks (with thanksgiving) to get the seal fixed - and the longer LSD on the rear diff meant that the propshaft wouldn't pull out of the way to get to the back of the thing easily.

The mechanic told me that he could have pulled the box out in about 30 mins more. He's not the type to pad the bill either so I believe him, but I'm still facing 3-4 hours labor for a $2 part on a "rebuilt" box. It was leaking too much to risk driving it home and doing it myself, and frankly I'm not sure I wanted to either.

I need to get away from this car. I'm just too hacked off with it right now even if it *is* ok.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

OP
D

DougF

I recently reread Peter Egan's article about driving a Caterham through New England. He was very impressed with the vehicle. He also said that after a day of many ins and outs topped off with dinner, it was all he could do to get in and drive again.
After sitting in a Europa, I discovered that I would have to go barefoot. With shoes, I had difficulty touching the gas without hitting the brake. Sevens would be pretty much the same.
I would drive your car for a while. If your batteries get recharged, keep it. If not, move on.

crj7driver

Jedi Trainee
I am going on month 14 of my 10 month frame off restomod. I was getting tired of all the detail work of doing it right. But just last week I rode in the local British car shops supercharged TR6, that definetly stoked the drive to get the car finished.

I think you are going about your project the right way and unfortunatly you are dealing with some R&D problems. I am sure once it is done you will forget about all of the problems that you have gone through.

Good Luck

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Alan -

After our chats in "The Shed" about this, I'd like to add my encouragement/commiseration. The TR8 is my third restoration. The first was the TR3 - very straightforward, and in my opinion a great choice for someone who's just starting out. The second was the MGB - unibody construction, and lots more parts to keep track of. I'm just now finishing up the TR8, which is more complicated than the B.

With each one, I hit a few snags (admittedly, nothing like what you've had to endure), and there were several periods when each sat a while. Each time I thought I might have gotten in over my head, and each time I had! But I always managed to find some help, either online, or from a book, or a fellow enthusiast. What really kept me going, though, was the challenge. That, and the desire to see the cotton-pickin' thing through!

Now that I'm finishing the TR8, I'm having a tough time fighting the impulse to find another project. Not too hard to do, as I don't have room for a third vehicle. (I sold the TR3, and since the B is the wife's, it's not goin' anywhere, and that TR8 is just too much fun - looks great, too!)

Don't know if any of the above helps or adds to the confusion - just thought I'd throw in a bit of my "story".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey

Cheapsnake

Jedi Trainee
Alana, sorry, I haven't been following your issues with the 6, but having had a TR6 and having built a dreaded kit, I have a few thoughts to offer based upon experience.

It doesn't sound like the car is fun for you anymore and for that reason alone, it's time to move on. As for the 7 clone/kit, if you have a reasonable amount of mechanical ability, tools and space, I would definitely consider it. However, be realistic about the project. It's going to take more time, money and work than you plan on (they always do), but you'll build it exactly the way you want it built and if this is a labor of love all those other things won't matter. If this is a winter project your winter will fly and your wife will not see you except for a few hours of visitation each week, unless she decides to participate, which isn't unheard of. If you like mechanical stuff, working with your hands and the satisfaction of actually driving something you built yourself, this is for you. However, if you're looking for a quick and dirty build, save your money.

As for the "stigma" of a kit car, build it right and it'll be BETTER than the original because you'll have access to newer materials, better technology and lessons learned from the originals. I'll pit my Cobra against an original for performance, quality of build and reliabilty any day. Purists may turn their noses up at it because it's not "real", but who cares?

My advice, go for the 7, but do it right.

Tom