• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

lets talk about radiators

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi all,
I walked out of my office at 2:30, and the outside temp was over 41C (106F) hottest it has been so far this year. Not shockingly the temp gauge started rising quickly even though I drove the care real easily. Also, taking a few measurements, the radiator is cooling the water, but only by a few degrees, not shocking considering the temp, but that is what it is going to be like here for the next few months. So, I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a new / better radiator.

I could just get the original recored but since it is the smaller style Triumph had at the time, even in perfect condition, it probably is undersized for this kind of heat.

My though was to get something like this:
radiator
this should be fairly easy to adapt, and would fit in without to much of problem. I would just need to make up some sort of mounting brackets.

As a different option, I could get something like a radiator out of a Corrola or some other modern car with a somewhat larger engine, at least for temporary use. That would also give me a bit more capacity.

Any thoughts?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That summit one is purdy and you can't beat the price. I would also add an electric fan.

Trick6

Jedi Hopeful
If my radiator was not doing the job, the 1st thing I would do is flush out the system with a commercial flush support product. Don't know if you need to use anti freeze where you are, but I would try with out it just to see the change after a thorough flushing. If I still have a problem and there is not a shop to tank the radiator, then I am forced to consider replacement. Read this link. There are a couple of other links within the body. You should find this helpful I hope. Stay cool.
https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/Radiator.htm

JKB1957

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
If you don't already have one installed you may want to look into an oil cooler to help reduce engine heat. In the weather you are describing I would think that every little bit that lowers engine temperature would help.

R

RonMacPherson

Looks good, what's the shipping gonna cost you, and will you be able to construct mounts for it.

Biggest feature of radiators is temperature reduction. I have found, over the years, that Toyota radiators seem to be very efficient in doing that. They don't seem to be made much differently and out of any weird materials, but if you can get a Toyota pickup radiator, or a good size Corolla one, that might be less expensive.

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Ron
a good point, why look for custom made ones when there are plenty of ready made radiators to choose from.
My radiator core is about to expire and after getting a quote to re-core it for $700, I am seriously looking at an aluminium replacement. Prices seem to range from $200 to $800.........
Regards
Craig

TR674

Jedi Warrior
I can sympathise with you. We just had a good run of 40C+ days in Jan/Feb and I didn't even bother to take my 6 out in the heat. I don't think English cars were designed to cope with that sort of temp. The Lucas fuel pump doesn't cope in anything above 36C at all.
Regards
Craig

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Hey Al,

Welcome to the forum. Did I ask you if you were going to Harkness Park in Waterford for Brits by the Sea, June 1st?

I'd love to get a big BCF group assembled there.

Sorry for the thread hijack....please PM me with your reply.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha,

What is the condition of the cooling fins in the radiator? If these are damaged, have deteriorated over time or come loose, this would greatly reduce the cooling ability of the radiator. Those thin little fins connected to the tubes is the mechanism that sheds the heat.

After all the work you've done, a replacement radiator may be in the cards. A Corolla radiator in good condition may solve the problem and confirm the cause of the high temp running condition in the cooling system.

Good luck.

OP

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks, I have already cleaned the radiator run chemicals through etc. Water flows quite nicely through the system. I have no idea how old the radiator is, it doesn't look corroded or damaged but then it is somewhat hard to tell.

Craig, I think you are right, the cooling system in these cars just wasn't built to handle 40C+ temperatures. Especially not with the mountain climbing I have to do around here.
I am going to head over to the scrap yard and see what I can turn up.

The summit unit looks nicest and that is probably what I will ultimately get but it will take me a while to get arrange a ride over for it. Shipping would be a killer!

achtungeveryone

Jedi Hopeful
you might consider an electric fan, you could even run it in front of the rad as a pusher and just hit the switch when you notice the temp creeping...say at a stop light or tied up in slow traffic.
Me, I just try to avoid idling or slow bumper to bumper traffic which is sure to get things heated up...I've yet to put in an electric fan but thought about it intensively the last time I was stuck in traffic.

Achtung

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
I drive my TR3 regularly here in Central California during the summer where 106+ is not uncommon. The addition of an electric fan has made it a 4 season car.

However, I am rebuilding a Triumph 10 with a 1500cc engine. I will be putting an aluminum radiator in it, with an electric fan.