• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hay lets do something

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I been cleaning parts and painting things all day, my back is tired so guess I am done out there for the day. But progress has been made. If I can just do a bit every day one day I will look up and all my parts will be restored and ready to reasimble when body is ready. Whoot, that's the fun part. I now have boxes of restored parts, boxes of parts to restore and boxes of extra stuff, guess I will redo them as well at the end and put em away for some poor sole down the road that is looking for something to complete his project as well.

I liked the idea I read on here yesterday of restoring parts as you take them off. Makes taking the car apart a little longer, but then you just put 'er back together and Vroom!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Always been my paradigm. Father was adamant. Clean it and renew it when it comes off the car, and assembly is a neat, clean job. I *didn't* do the heater bits and now I'm grumblin' at meself for it.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
To my mind is important to have everything clean and like new when you start to put stuff back together, should not even get hands dirty. Only hold up at my end is the stuff I must order or forgot to order in a timely manner.

I wash and degrease every car I work on for the same reason... No sense in getting your hands dirty - And no, I'm not dainty or fruity.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
hehe, not only that but I like the engine rooms preaty and fun to look at.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nor I... but my partner's brother has for years said he'd nominate me for "World's Neatest Wrench." Hands, tools, the "subject vehicle" all cleaned to what some considered OCD standards... I just don't work any other way.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yea, I like it like that as well. But this stage I am in is anything but clean. This too shall pass.

Hmmm. I'd bet I'd be on his top-10 list of clean mechanics. Except for having to sit or lie in mud while I'm working. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Visqueen or a tarp if outdoors... "lyin' down boards."

I used a woolen blanket last week and still got mud on me. I feel so ashamed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
EEeewwwwWW!!! BESMIRCHED!!

"Hose 'im down, 'e's DONE!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif at myself

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just been lucky I guess have always had a carport or garage or base hobby shop.

I've never had more than my parent's backyard, or my own front yard. In a few years - our own land... and the first thing being built on it's gonna be a garage! The mobilehome can sit next to it being dwarfed for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good priorities, Kenny!

I thought so. Then, Julie's priorities can take precidence. A Log home with whatever she wants. (good thing she's thrifty - that sounds like it might break me.)

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That was my idea - A double-wide with a 10 car garage.
My Wife didn't agree!
Although she said that if we move,a shop would be a good idea.Just 2 more years until I retire.

- Doug

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
A good friend's father suggested I keep a small cheap plastic tarp in the car to use if I had to. Works great for laying on the ground.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Harbor Freight has a neat 'tent' garage for $150...big enough for the car & space to work around it...temporary structure that can be taken down when not needed

...however, blue tarp on ground & then plywood for floor with a kerosene heater & the little tent becomes comfortable for working...I've a friend who has several at his upholstery shop - keeps boats in them so he can work on them over the winter....has an electric drop going to each & moves propane heater around asd he needs them!