• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Wiggly Winders or lets talk window regulators TR6

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi,

I've been plagued with poorly performing window regulators for some time (well actually since I bought my car). The windows don't stay up well or hold their position. I've started on a restoration of my car, and I've got one of the doors off so I figure I'm going to see if I can remedy this problem.

First off, do the window regulators actually work when they are new?

Is the crank handle supposed to be all "wiggly and jiggly" when new?

I've got the regulator apart and there is a lot of play in the area where the crank handle enters the housing. It looks like it was designed this way
IMG_5661_2_1.jpg

This second photo shows the inside of the above part. There is a spring in there. Does any one know what the purpose of the spring is? Should it be contacting the rotating part of the mechanism?
IMG_5663_4_1.jpg

Should there be grease in there?

If anyone has a new reguator handy, I'd like to hear from you about how it works.

Cheers

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Re: Wiggly Winders or lets talk window regulators

I had to check your profile to figure out that your talking about a TR6, although you didn't mention what year it is. That might help us out a bit.

Minesweeper

Can't say as I recognize that part. Although I admire guys who make the effort to refurbish useable parts, when it comes to a window regulator that looks that bad, I'd just swap in a new part. If it is for a TR6, window regulators are nearly half-price at TRF this week: https://www.zeni.net/trf/weekend1/25.php

OP
R

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Sorry, yes, it's for a TR6.

I know they are on at half price, but I don't have the money. I do have a lot of time, so why not do it myself.

Let me rephrase my question...

Is the handle part of the regulator supposed to be so loose fitting? What's it like on a new regulator assembly?

Thanks

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior

rooster said:
Is the handle part of the regulator supposed to be so loose fitting? What's it like on a new regulator assembly?

In my experience it should not be loose. It should be fairly stiff but still easy to crank with little to no play laterally.

OP
R

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

pjsmetana said:
In my experience it should not be loose. It should be fairly stiff but still easy to crank with little to no play laterally.

Thanks. The lateral play is what I was interested in, I just couldn't think of the correct term.

I'm going to make the assumption that the ones on a spit are a similar design to those on a TR6.

Cheers

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight

Mine aren't loose on my '73 TR6,
Replacement is in order.