• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speakers for BJ8

BJ8TONY

Silver
Country flag
Looking for advice on speakers which I can install in my BJ8.
I am hoping I can find some that can fit neatly up under the dash as I don't want to cut the car. I am nearing a long restoration.

Thanks

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: speakers for BJ*

What is going to drive the speakers????

OP
B

BJ8TONY

Silver
Country flag

It will be a new type radio that will play CD's and have MP3 input. I have owned the car for maybe 28 yrs and cut the dash many years ago to take a cassette radio which was popular at the time plus the values of Healeys was no where near what they are today. I can live with that but I do not want to cut the new rear panels on the doors.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

OK sounds like you will have plenty of power to drive the speakers. I set mine in the foot well panels sound great. They are 6" round rated at 60 Watts RMS and contain a mid range,High frequency and a tweeter.

However, there are many small enclosed units available now that can be fitted up under the dash. Others will chime in with suggestions--Fwiw--Keoke

RAC68

Darth Vader

Hi Tony,

A number of years back I decided to install a radio that I could hear in my BJ8 and it has been one of my most enjoyable additions to my Healey. I chose a 2000 Acura TL Bose system with integrated tape, CD, and AM/FM, with the option of adding MP3 and XM in the future. To accommodate an additional 1” of space for the head unit and to be able to reverse back to my original BMC radio, I replicated the dash, incorporating the extra space and a slightly greater vertical angle to clear the heater box. As you can see, I also installed covered aluminum panels, with soft separating baffles, to house the mid range of my component speakers.

100_0268-1.jpg

100_0270.jpg

I had a little trouble finding space for a 12” sub woofer in the cabin so I settled on placing the amp under the battery and using the spare as a speaker enclosure (not great but ok).

100_0369.jpg

Hope this helps. Good luck,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag

Well thought out and fabricated install. looks factry'. :thumbsup: --elrey

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag

I'm probably going with a modern head unit that looks vintage. the problem is finding one that fits the original opening. I am going to use the enclosed speakers and find a place to mount them up under the dash. I do like the little side panels you made for your car, Ray.

RAC68

Darth Vader

Thanks elray/Legal Bill,

Bill, that was my original idea but every radio candidate found was either limited in features or dammed, expensive, or both. I, as you, found that fitting a unit in my BJ8’s original space posed even more restrictions. By the time I was ready to purchase a radio, I found myself under so many restrictions that finding one was close to imposable.

Frustrated, I decided to eliminate all restrictions but the ones requiring the installation look as close to belonging as reasonable and being fully reversible. It was easier to replicate the console with the required dimensions than finding a head unit to fit in the original, let alone finding one that would not require cutting the original console.

Either way Bill, good luck finding your radio and let me know if I can help.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

Keoke said:
I set mine in the foot well panels sound great. They are 6" round rated at 60 Watts RMS and contain a mid range,High frequency and a tweeter.

...--Keoke

Dang Keoke, I had you pegged as a "the sweet sound of that inline six is all the music I need" sort of guy....

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

That Keoke fella is a complicated man. He likes the music, and he likes the music.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

glemon said:
Keoke said:
I set mine in the foot well panels sound great. They are 6" round rated at 60 Watts RMS and contain a mid range,High frequency and a tweeter.

...--Keoke

Dang Keoke, I had you pegged as a "the sweet sound of that inline six is all the music I need" sort of guy....

Well thats why I put them in the foot wells so I could better hear the "Sweet sound of that inline six"---- :wink:

YEP!!! Greg--------- :laugh: