• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speakers

Reh

When have you folks placed your speakers without cutting up door cards? Not a lot of room in my GT6, but i love my music a lot.

D

DougF

Have you thought about making or buying small boxes/cabinets to install the rear speakers?

mtlman8

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I've always wanted to ask this, Where the heck can you put speakers in a tr4a? other than the miata seat headrest.

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
My "standard" is two good quality 6x9 triaxial's in enclosures in the back. For the front I got a couple of closed-back midranges and just stuck them on the top of each footwell. Stuck as in the speaker magnet holds them up. They fire down, so not real loud, but add "presence". Oh yeah - there's a Bazooka in the trunk, too.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
John,

When I did my TR4A back in the early 1980's, I did a set of Pioneer 3-way surface mount speakers in enclosures on the rear deck (TSX-8) and installed the TR6 front speaker mounts on either side of the transmission tunnel with some smaller 2-way speakers.

It looks like Pioneer still makes something similar.

pio-tsx200.jpg

The old model allowed for a single bolt mount from the bottom to prevent theft which worked well without cutting up the car (single hole drilled through the rear deck on each side and I think I used a stud and nut from underneath).

The front ones looked a lot like Paul's here:

carpet%20025%20(Custom).jpg

Scott

mtlman8

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
confused at first, but the pic says it all. thanks scott.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Note that it helped that I used a TR6 surround since my TR4A one was shot. I also used the original speaker bolt holes under the passenger's side of the dash to mount a thin steel plate to which I mounted the amplifier.

I was trying to not modify the car by drilling holes all over the place.

Scott

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I put an 8" bandpass powered sub-woofer behind my seats on the 'shelf', speakers in the headrests of the miata seats in my car, a pair of 5.25" speakers in the kidney pads, and tweeters behind the eyeball vents. Can listen to music with the top down at all but highway speeds.

Will_Ringrose

For my GT6 I am doing the 2 speakers under the dash like the TR6, and also building a small wall behind the seats only about 2 inches deep. To can mount 2 larger speakers there.

I love the way Polk's sound so I am going to run a set of 5/14 inch in the front. As well as a set of 6/12 inch components in the false shelf/wall.

Now I like my music, so if I decided that I was not getting enough kick from that set up I was going to add a small 6 1/2 inch subwoofer and 2 small PC board amps from my new favorite toy store.

4X100 AMP
2X100 Amp
6 1/2 inch subwoofer

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
Will_Ringrose said:
Now I like my music, so if I decided that I was not getting enough kick from that set up I was going to add a small 6 1/2 inch subwoofer and 2 small PC board amps from my new favorite toy store.

I built the amplifier into my bandpass subwoofer case, and my vent points at the back of the driver seat so all the 'kick' goes into the seat, it sounds real good, particularly for the ~150$ it cost to build. I shaped the enclosure to take up the shelf space behind the TR6 seats and still allow the seats to lean back as far as possible. The cover on the woofer though is just temporarily tacked in place vinyl that I need to replace to make it look nice =) But it's better than the bare MDF

JImEgan

I also made a minijack receptacle and 12 volt jack for my iPod in the package tray. Pretty invisible when not in use.

DSCN5055.jpg

DSCN5056.jpg

Jim