• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speakers

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I decided to put a radio in the TR4. So I ordered a dash support from Joe Alexander to hack up, don't want to chop up the original. I don't understand the 4 ohm, 8 ohm thing about speakers. Seems that auto speakers are 4 ohm and the ones on my home systems are 8. What is that all about and what happens if I use for instance a 4 ohm on my home system or an 8 ohm with the car radio?

R6MGS

Yoda
I was wondering the same thing....I gotta do speakers in the 6 sometime soon as well.

D

DougF

I'm not an electrician, but my guess is the power source. A home system would need a higher resistance than a car unit.
The car speaker in a home system would work until you gave it some juice. The home system would work in the car but probably not efficiently. They probably wouldn't leave a lot of seating space once installed.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It's (a little) harder to drive a 4 ohm load, as oppossed to a 8 ohm load. (You're asking the amplifier for more current output). The 4 ohm speaker will play louder than the 8 ohm speaker though. Many British home speakers are rated at 6 ohms. The resistance is not equal at all frequencies, hence 4 or 8 is a close appoximation. What you don't want to get is too low; ie, 2 ohms.... most are either 4 or 8. ISTR Bose car audio speaker are 1 ohm, which is why they have special amps built in to the speaker, (and why most of them eventually fail).

R6MGS

Yoda
What do most people run in their LBC's? I no absolutely nothing about stereos.

D

DougF

I bought a used Alpine system on ebay. AM-FM cassette deck with remote CD player. 4 1/2" speakers in front, 6 x 9 two way speakers in the rear. Plenty of sound and good quality.
Bought used in case of rain or robbery. Have about $100.00 invested.

R6MGS

Yoda
And where you've mounted said speakers.

D

DougF

I've never done pictures, so I'll do my best to describe.
The cd player is an Alpine chm-5620. Search ebay, there is one for sale. It is mounted on the vertical behind the passenger seat. I can easily reach it from the driver's seat. It has a remote control, but that seemed ridiculous for a Triumph.
The 4 1/2" speakers are mounted in the console trim panel. The precut units are made for this size.
For the rear 6x9's, I mounted them in minimal sized wood cabinets that my father and I built. The speaker is at an angle for "better" accoustics. They can be stood on end for when the car is loaded for trips.
I glued velcro(the prickly side) to the base of the cabinet to keep them from sliding around.
I also used Posi-Loc butt connectors(available at auto parts stores) for wire hook up. They are excellent quality and fairly quick release if I need to stow the speakers in the trunk.

R6MGS

Yoda
Sounds like a nice setup...I gotta think about what I wanna do, it probably won't be till the spring before I get around to playin with the sound stuff.