• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Radio and Speakers

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When I bought my BJ8, the "restoration" had vinyled over the speaker grille and put in a cd/radio combo with full size speakers under the dash. Obviously, the PO was concerned about authenticity. I have replaced the speaker grille, but can't get any info on the type of speaker that should go there or what the radio should be. I would like to put small stereo speakers into the console, and an AM/FM cassette radio that at least looks like it should be there, but I could really use some advice as to what to get. Thanks.

Scott

ynotme2

Great post. I was wondering the same thing for the longest time. I was wondering if you could install a standard radio with a positive ground car. Does that work? Also not sure if there are any other options out there in regaards to stereo's. Thinking how to reatin a pretty stock look but enjoy some music on the road.

Country flag
I have a sight in my files (somewhere)for a company that replaces the guts on your old radio and give you the new tech stuff using the old knobs and buttons to control AM-FM stereo/CD etc. At 500 bucks plus your radio, I had other places for the money at this time. I will dig it out of anyone is interested.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

ynotme2, most standard radios of recent vintage are configured for Negative ground systems and are not compatible with Positive ground.However, Radio Shack and others sell an inverter that will allow you to integrate the current radios with Positive ground. Similarly, while not recommened the radio can be completely isolated from any direct contact with the car's chassis and operated with Positive Ground. Additionally, some of the original dealer installed radios included a switch that allowed them to be operated with either polarity ground-FWIW---Keoke

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Great question...and one I'll be interested "hearing" all input to...I suppose one answer could be change your ground...my original Healey that I owned in the 60's...I placed flat speakers into the side walls of the rear seat...actually had really a good sound to it...my current Healey has cd/radio and the speakers are mounted onto the tranny tunnel...(again flat speakers)...they are black and are reasonably hidden...also works pretty good...you have to crank the sound up a bit for highway driving though...

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
For a negative ground radio in a positve ground car, most car radio dealers sell a plastic box that the radio/CD player can mount inside of, thereby isolating the radio from ground. I then installed this mounting box under my BJ8 glove box as far to the right as possible to still allow access to the hood release. Then just hook up the positive ground from the car chasis to the positive lead on the radio and the negative lead from the ignition to the negative input on the radio (fuse it). You must also make sure the radio antenna is isolated from the ground of the car. Some dealers sell an electronic antenna that can be stuck with dbl back tape to the inside of the windshield. Finally I made a wood bracket covered with black vinyl to hold two 4 inch speakers that I placed under the dash and heater directly behind (toward the firewall) the existing speaker grill. One speaker faced the to the driver's side and the other to the passenger side. Not the best placement for actual stereo sound, but acceptable. Again, make sure the speakers are isolated from ground. Costs: CD/radio..$110., isolation box $20., electronic antenna $20, 2-4inch speakers $25. and a couple of hours of labor. The radio is well hidden under the glove box and speakers and the antenna are almost invisible. Pretty clean looking for authenticity purposes.

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really not looking to spend $500 on a gimmick radio, and I'm trying to eliminate the stereo speakers under the dash. Does anyone know what type of radio was originally used in a BJ8? At least then I can get something with the same look.

Scott

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what type of radio was originally used in a BJ8?

[/ QUOTE ]

The most common "original equipment" radio was the British Motor Corporation AM radio that was also supplied with other cars in the 1960s. I just happen to have a nice example handy here, so I'll (try to) include an image.

You can occasionally find these available on eBay, although they are somewhat unusual (I would not quite say "rare"). However, this is a very basic AM-only radio. Those who are very concerned about originality seek these, but those who want to listen to FM and/or play cassette tapes must do something else.

Attachments

• 83345-DSC01305.JPG
    83345-DSC01305.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 275

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OH Oh Reid, Do you also happen to have a picture of that pityful little oblong speaker that was used with this radio and fits behind the speaker screen for SHG---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Reid. For the speaker, I've been thinking about the in-dash speakers that the old 60's Mustang had. Two dual cone 3.5" stereo speakers in a 9" x 5" mounting plate. If I can cut the plate and redrill the holes to the proper locations, I would be able to get stereo out of the original speaker grille. As for the radio, I was thinking that either a Becker Europa, which came am, fm and sometimes cassette, or maybe an old blaupunkt. The Becker had a front plate with black and white lines across it, while the Blaupunkt had a solid black plastic face plate, which I think was more like the BMC am radio. Certainly not perfect, but have you seen the colors, bells & whistles that come on today's radios? You would think they were made for the space shuttle.

Scott

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
An update on the radio. I bought an old 1970s Becker Europa with AM, FM, Cassette off eBay. Had to have the cassette belts replaced. Put it in today and it looks great. I know it's really a little too new for the BJ8, but it makes for a great compromise since it looks like it belongs but isn't as limited as the old AM radio that would have been original.

Scott

ynotme2

I was wondering if we could bring back th e old 8 track and maybe install some shag carpeting on the dash for the retro look....LOL

John Morralee

My '63 BJ7 has the orig.BMC radio and speakers (it works but with very few stations available,no problem the exhaust sound is good enough) which I gather was installed in the BJ8.What is it you need to know? I can pop out and look for you.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi John , I ditched that radio eons ago I have a fairly modern shaft mount AM/FM and Tape unit backed up with a 200 Watt booster amplifier. When at speed on the road I have a set of ear phones that the wife uses to listen to music or talk shows. IM listening to the exhaust note. Thanks very much for the offer though Cheers---Keoke

Ralph F.

If you want a period-correct, positive earth radio, try www.koenigs-klassik.de, a classic radio refurbisher/rebuilder in Germany. e-mail them your requirements, and they will respond with what is available. Be sure to specify positive earth, they can supply them either way. I purchased a very nice am/fm Blaupunkt in 2002 for $270- price may be higher now due to the Euro/$ exchange rate. I previously tried the Radio Shack inverter route, and don't recommend it- the darn thing whistles while it operates, and is loud enough to be heard over everything else that is going on while the Healey is running, which is saying something.

OP
SHG

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
They have my Becker at the Koenig site. But mine came from eBay for $15, plus another $15 for the belts and cleaning. It works and sounds great. No inverter. No whistling. And a very reasonable price.

Scott

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
They have my Becker at the Koenig site. But mine came from eBay for $15, plus another $15 for the belts and cleaning. It works and sounds great. No inverter. No whistling. And a very reasonable price.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott,

I've got a Becker Europa II in my BJ7. It really looks like it belongs there, although it probably came out of an early '70s Mercedes. I installed some 6 1/4" Pioneers in the kick panels and the open space behind the scuttle acts as a nice sound box. My Europa came with an attached factory amp, which really boosts the sound quality. The nice thing about these Beckers is they have a deep, rich sound quality that's sometimes missing with modern audio equipment. I got mine at a flea market for $20. When I offered the seller $10, he told me he'd rather smash it on the ground than let it go for that kind of money. Can't beat honesty like that.

Happy Healeying,
Rick