• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speakers

kbash

Jedi Trainee

Attachments

• 180563-191756446TS-D691R_big-67394-55634_L.jpg
    180563-191756446TS-D691R_big-67394-55634_L.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 69

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This is the CD, you turn it on. It turns you on. LOL

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
what's the link to keenan? I get some page for "Nebraska Furniture Mart" when I click on it. Also, what *kind* of speakers are we talking about here? Subs? The 6x9s in the attachment? 6.5s?

I'm not too big of a fan of cutting up the car for speakers personally. I'm not a very big fan of 6x9 speakers either, but that's besides the point. I'd do enclosures for the speakers. They can be secured to the rear shelf easily, or wedged down between the seat and shelf. For the front, I plan on building custom fiberglass enclosures for component 5.25" mids and tweets that'll rest front most portion of the ledge that runs down the outside edge of the foot wells.

just my 2 cents worth.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Does the car run yet, Keenan?

R6MGS

Yoda
I know it's been said many times but you NEED TO GET THE CAR RUNNING!
But to answer your question it seams very popular to cut out holes in the rear panel dividing the trunk from the cockpit....personally I'd never cut holes in a car for speakers, but I've owned a few MGB's that had this done by the P.O and it sounded pretty good.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I have a pair of shelf speakers sitting in the back under the top with velcro on the bottom of them to keep them from sliding around. They also have an couple extra feet of wire that permits me to pull them outof the way to work on the batteries, etc., or to be listened to outside of the vehicle without blasting and burning up the battery life.

Bruce

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
DON'T CUT HOLES. Do you really, truly, honestly have to have big or more or louder speakers? Put the top down, enjoy nature, enjoy the drive, enjoy the engine sound. Give a tad of peace to those who do not like LOUD music. The speaker the B comes with is fine.

I am looking at B's and will not buy any that had speakers put in it by cutting holes in the trunk wall or anywhere else. Hard now perhaps for you to understand but if and when you sell, the car will be worth more.

Bruce

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
I wish Jarrod were still here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Keenan,

I had the same concerns when I put my stereo in.
I like having music,...I like having 4 speakers so I can hear clearly on the highway when the top is down. I like being able to connect my ipod, so that I can listen to whatever I want, whenever I want without having to deal with cassettes or cds.
So here's a big, fat raspberry to all those who will preach, ad nauseum, that you shouldn't have a stereo :p Pffffft!

It's your car Keenan,..as far as I can see you are being respectful to your car. You're being taught and guided by a mechanic who knows his stuff. So long as you don't add some giant subwoofer, so that the fillings are shaking out of my teeth all the way here in Boston,..then go for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Summer of your senior year in high school, pretty girlfriend, hot convertible,...it would be just plain wrong if you didn't have a cool stereo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
And anyone who can't understand that can send me their address, cause I have a bottle of Geritol with their name on it :p

Ok,..so to your question:

I have seen the ones with the holes cut through the bulkhead to the trunk,..the sound is good,..but the top gets in the way when it is down,..which is 99% of the time with my car.

I opted for Pioneer surface mount speakers:
speaker.jpg

I ran the speaker wire under the center console, and connect the speakers to it with bullet connectors, so that they are easily removed should I need the storage space. The sound is perfect.

You could do something similar with speaker enclosures,..that's what I had before I started the work on my car,..and it sounded great.

I also have 2, 4" speakers in the underdash panels.

Good luck!

Jerry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
And there are those who preach ad nauseum that you should have loud music. So we have preach ad nauseum don't have it and ad nauseum do have it.

I don't find it actually "wrong" not to have music. And I don't agree that it is ONLY older people who don't like it as implied by the Geritol remark.

I know as many very young people in these cars with no radios at all.

My suggestion would be to drive around awhile as is and perhaps later add all that stuff if you decide so at that time.

swift6

Yoda
The first TR6 that I ever saw had a PA loud speaker in the back pointed straight up. One of those giant horn type speakers with the horn about two foot by 8 inches on the outlet side and then about a foot and a half from the voice coil. That was in Cheyenne Wyoming. The car belonged to a high school kid that always had his pretty blond girl friend with him. I never did hear that speaker play though. I wonder why?

I was 8 and told my mom that I would own one of "those" cars someday (I didn't know what it was then, I grew up on a cattle ranch give me a break, I knew more about the missle silo's on our ranch than about cars at the time).

11 years later I bought my TR6. Once I heard the sound of the exhaust I ripped the crappy Audiovox and Blaupunkt speakers out. Seventeen years later I still have the car and it still has no radio. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Although its audio entertainment system has been continually improved and the sound level is controlled by the vertical pedal to the right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Don't make me plain mean rumfie and ponder publicly why so many MGB owners have stereo's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

I will admit though that the few TR owners that put in stereo's do very much the same as you lot have already stated, Pretty universal solution in an LBC.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Bruce,
I wasn't attacking you, so I'm sorry if it came accross that way.
I understand that the car sounds beautiful, but so does my stereo,..I like them both
I was not advocating loud music.(see the "subwoofer remark" from my previous post) I was advocating answering the question asked. He didn't ask if he should have speakers,..he asked where to put them.

As far as the geritol remark goes,..the reference was clearly directed at those who could not understand how having a cool stereo could be important to an 18 year old kid with a convertible, summer of their senior year in high-school etc.
And even then,..it was age as an attitude,..not as a number.

I feel that was quite clear.

I'm not a kid. I'm a 40 year old professional. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And I'm not singling out anyone.

I do, however, feel compelled to comment.
It does very obviously seem that every time this kid asks a question, he gets very critical answers.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
For young folks (under 40) info. As you get older your ears are not able to diferentiate the different sounds so well. A party with music and folks talking is very bad, folks are not understandable. If it is quiet I can hear a pin drop but mix several sounds, no way. A cd with someone singing is also hard to understand if at all as the music overrides the speach.

That's just the way it is. By the way I am 67 years.

Yep I have CD players and radios in all my vehicles and use them. They do have an on off switch for when the pipes sing.

Go for a sound system, I like the surface speaker idea. Then they can be moved to another vehicle if it becomes necessary and holes are not really fun to cut anyway and always seem to be in the wrong place.

Have not tried an ipod in a vehicle but got one for xmas for my granddaughter who is 18 and she loves it. I have listened a bit and sounds excellent on ear phones to me. Tin ear.

And yes Miss Agatha will have a radio and CD player for sure.

Enjoy your new sound system.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
For young folks (under 40) info....

[/ QUOTE ]

This differential in hearing can be used against youthful troublemakers too:

https://www.theherald.co.uk/news/56421.html

".... the latest invention designed to reign in the youth is the Sonic Teenager Deterrent. Dubbed the mosquito (because it is "small and annoying") the device emits a piercing high frequency sound, like a demented insect, but is virtually inaudible to anyone over the age of 20."

"...the device which sends out 80-decibel bursts of pulsing sounds at up to 16khz."

"... exploits the fact that by the time a person reaches their mid to late 20s there is a large drop in the ability to hear very high frequency sounds."

Ain't science wonderful....

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Guys, I'm having teenagers design the stereo for my V8 car...they're doing tweeters, mids, door speakers, kick panel speakers, headrest speakers, big bass - & they're not cutting 1 hole in the car for a speaker - ANYWHERE!
They've designed a hidden compartment in the trunk for all the power stuff, putting the woofer where the 2nd speaker goes & lots of other neat stuff that they think will make it competitive in one of their sound shows

...& still are going with my cardinal rule: no holes

...heck, we've even replaced the bulkhead material where a DPO had cut for those big 6x9 speakers that are muffled when the top's down

It can be done without cutting holes in a structural piece! So, if you want to send me a bottle of Geritol, so be it but speaker holes in the bulkhead aren't the only answer!

OP
kbash

kbash

Jedi Trainee
When I do install Speakers I'm not drilling hole, I'm not getting Subwoofers, I'm using what I posted in the link.
I don't listen to music that loud, but the door panel ones I replaced and I cant hear them when there cranked up with the top down, partly because the driver side one is covered by my leg.

O and Rock on with the Ipods.

I like hearing the car, but this is also my daily driver and I travel a lot at night from work, and I'm not the best night drive and this point blankly music keeps me awake.

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
That's really cool Tony /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
You should post pics and info of how it comes out.

(btw,..I advocated "no holes" too,...oh and you are not eligible for the geritol, as you understand what I was saying)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
kbash

kbash

Jedi Trainee
When ther DOne can you send me Pics Tony.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
When its finished, there'll be a link on my web site...bodyman told me that he's almost finished putting all the GT trunk stuff in my roadster trunk - to include the lift-up floor...& securing my little donut spare to the top of the new floor

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif
Great idea Tony. I don't give a hoot about age and all that c**p. I am trying to figure out a radio system in my GT. I was surprised about the idea of ipod in a car!!!! And I'm going to look into that idea. As for the rest---WHO CARES!!! You guys have at least given me a new way to look at the solution. I would love to have a company make an AM/FM only, digital, with bells and whistles to put in the GT. Anyone with great ideas on that. Other wise the forum has scored again with great ideas.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif