• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best place for Speakers?

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
Heres an easy one, for everyone out there that has put after market stereos in their B's.
What is the best place for them? Kick, door panels, or just behind the seats? Or is it just a big waste of time, since its hard to hear over the sweet sound of B's.
Any recommendations on stereos and speakers while I have your attention, just in case I go the musical /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif route...

Newkie

A

aerog

I have 5.25" speakers in the stock door-mounted positions with no problems (they're "flush" with the doors just like the originals). They're not going to compete with some idiotic 100kw bone-jarring boomcar at a stop light, but they're plenty loud enough for listening to music.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I'm planning on building custom kicks for a pair of 5.25" with component tweets. I'm reckoning position of the kick pods will be against the firewall above the outer ledges. I may have to remove the map pocket from the passenger side though, but that's no big deal just means I'll have to eventually pick up a set of "saddle bags" for the 'B... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I have 5" (5 1/4"?) speakers in the doors, and 6" mounted in the back behind the seats. Infinity speakers in the doors, not sure what I put in the back, (better speakers in the back) and a moderately priced JVC am/fm/cd in the dash.

And I can listen to the music quite nicely when I cruising down the interstate at 70mph. Around town or on the country roads, I can hear the music and the car. Best of both worlds!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Newkie, I might suggest that you look at the Kenwood radio line and see if there is one that meets your criteria.---Fwiw---Keoke

A

aerog

[ QUOTE ]

Any recommendations on stereos and speakers while I have your attention, just in case I go the musical /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif route...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even see this part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif -- I have a Kenwood MP3/CD player in mine but it's a '77 with the later version console, see https://www.aerog.com/mgpage/radio.htm . The fit is perfect. Setting up the actual wiring harness (I made a custom made plug-in arrangement rather than the hard-wiring the stock wiring harness with an isolation relay/fuse that comes with the deck like the shops typically do) took a couple of hours, The actual installation of the radio tray took all of 10 minutes.

There's an outdated list of makes and models of speakers on my site at https://www.aerog.com/mgpage/speakers.htm along with an explanation of what size you need for window clearance inside the doors. The Alpine 5.25" ones were the best combo speakers I could find that were that large but slim enough to fit. A better arrangement would probably have been the JBL system with external tweeters, but I didn't want to hack up the car to install anything else. The Alpines with the center-mounted tweeters have been fine so far.

There's an outdated list of

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
When I get back to work on mine T-43 days and counting I'm going to install a Kenwood mp922 deck and at this point I think a pair of 5 1/4 infinity kappa’s 52.7i’s component speakers in the doors in the stock location with the component part up near the top of the door in a spot to be determined.

I'm still debating on installing a small 2 channel amp as well but with all the road noise it’s not going to make that much of a difference at highway speed.

OP
Newkie

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
Hey, has anyone else put them in the back behind the seats?
I was wondering if the top came down too far, to maybe block some of the sound. I have my top completely off right now, so I cant remember how much it covers down there.
Also, would an amp be too much for the these little cars electrical system to handle, or should I go another route.
I want basically a cd player with 6x9's behind me with a amp driving them for clearity.

Newkie

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
as long as you design your electrical system to handle the extra load, and you don't try to use the stock harness to power your amp you should be ok. I'd do one of those Bosche alternator upgrades before dropping in an amplifier, and make sure the amp pulls its main power from the battery.

I believe there's enough room on the package shelf for a 10" sub, and still have room to access the battery compartment, and lower the top without problem. I currently have the hard top on my 'B but the soft top is stowed away in the normal "down" position. It looks like there should be enough room to do what you're thinking of.

DavidDeutsch

I put my speakers in the upper side area, right next to the seat backs. If I could figure out how to resize photos to post I would. If you pull off the triangular (with a curve) interior side panels there is a great cavity there that works well for speaker. I also have the tan leather Miata seats w/ speakered headrests in my 1975 B.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
gawd... I'm sooo Old Fart: I'm shovin' a pair of squalkers up under-dash (pro'lly wif TieWraps!) and shovin' in a "radio"... it's all just noise to distract from the beautiful exhaust note an' th' "Bark o' the Weber!"

"We don't need no steenkin' amplifier!"

Toss another pint o' Castrol 'R' onna fire an' remember th' Old Days...

OP
Newkie

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
David, or anyone else. How much room is there on the side panels behind the seats? I have my top off, so I dont know if I can get 6 1/2" in there or not with the top frame mounted there.
Can someone measure or tell me what will fit. Bigger is better, so hopefully the 6 1/2" will fit.
Thanks

Newkie

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
In your living room.

I am looking at buying a B and whenever I see aftermarket speakers, especially through cut outs in the trunk, I say no to that car.

But it is your car.

I prefer a slighlty louder muffler and the sound of either open windows or the top down.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
ya know... I've been driving my 'B without a radio for so long I've forgotten what it was like to have tunes while driving around.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On thing is for sure though, with the hardtop (hollow fiberglass Snugtop?) on my car the dang thing sounds like a bass drum... Need to get me some sound deadening in there...

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I just find that I can listen to music most anyhwere but I can't listen to my cars and nature while driving just anywhere.

Just my opinion.

Bruce

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Just out of curiosity, anyone else hate those "bass" cars when they drive by? Some I can hear and FEEL long before they even get close.

Music should be personal and not blasted out to anyone within a mile or two. Much like smoking!!!!
Bruce

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
eh... I find them much more annoying now days than I did in my youth. Particularly if i get stuck next to one at a stop light. Fortunately, the police in my area have a reputation of citing people for anything and everything so the obnoxious tunes are kept to a tolerable level.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Fortunately, the police in my area have a reputation of citing people for anything and everything so the obnoxious tunes are kept to a tolerable level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that!!!

Bruce

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There's a db level law in process here and I for one am very pleased over it.

I want a RAW RF transmitter in my home to WHACK the inconsiderate bastages whut go by at odd hours with the RAP-CRAP shakin' MY windows....

RATTLE.... WANK!!!.... <complete silence...no boom-box, no IGNITION>

"Got a problem wid yer car there sonny?...lemme call ya a cop."

BWUHAAAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

OP
Newkie

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
How did this topic get turned into this?
I hate that **** too, but I also like alittle toons once in awhile. Because unlike some of you, I can listen to the sweet sounds of my B and the sweet sounds of Shania at the same time.
Wait around and I'll tell you other things I can do at the same time?

Newkie