• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Best place to buy a rack and pinion for TR3A?

TFR

Jedi Trainee
Looking for the best place and price to buy a rack and pinion for my TR3A.
Thanks for your help

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I got mine from British Auto Restorations in Roanoke, Va (540) 989-5121. This is a bolt in unit. Revington has them over across the pond. His is a weld in unit. I don't know what the prices are these days.

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
I also got mine from British Auto Restorations and it went in without any problems. It really made a big difference in the steering and handling for the good...

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Larry; I got mine from Ted Smith (British Auto Restorations).

OP
T

TFR

Jedi Trainee
Russ, I met you at the Bash in Louisville Saturday. You told me about your car and explained the R&P steering. My name is Larry and I'm the guy with the Harley hat from Lexington. I also had a new cut/scratch on my face that I got that morning from working on the car. I mentioned the Kennal (spelling) fan you got and you told me you got it from the UK. I have a 60 TR3A.
I forgot the name of the place you mentioned so I hoped somebody would post the name.
Does this guy have a web sight?
Thanks to all for posting.

fogdot

Jedi Hopeful
I want one too. Can someone post information including cost so this poor supplier doesn't have to spend all of tomorrow on the phone answering the same questions over and over.

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
Boy, I think I paid about 1100 for mine but it has been over a year ago...

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey Larry, Oh yes I do remember you, This was a post to the Triumph BBS 5 or 6 years ago. I decided to go with Ted Smith of British Auto Restorations because the system he offers is bolt in not welded in!

"First question, yes it works great. Second question, no the fan will need to be removed. Now for a little info. Over the winter I did a complete suspension rebuild of my 58 TR3A as well as the rack and pinion system. The worm in the steering box had worn to the point of having about 2" of travel. So I decided to investigate alternatives. I did as you, I asked questions on many different British car forums.

The different is really almost too hard to believe, turn a complete circle with one finger. As you can tell I am very happy with the new rack system.

There is some good info from Neil Revington from Revington TR in Somerset England. The unit he offers you weld in place, he gives some interesting reasons on why the Rack and Pinion system is better. The web address for Revington TR is https://www.revingtontr.com/

I got mine from Ted Smith of British Auto Restorations in Roanoke, VA. There is no web site for them, his phone number is 540 989-5121 the rack he offers is bolt in and I believe about $850. That was 5 or 6 years ago I beleive it's about $1300 or so.

There is one other place that has Rack and Pinion for TR3's and it is Protek Engineering Unit 13 Bushells Business Estate, Hithercroft Road, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10. Tel: 01491-832372

Good Luck and keep in touch and let me know how it's going.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
Roy

How did the side curtains work out?

could you detail the things you did to your suspension?

And cost?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Please, don't anyone take offense, but I think the best place to get rack and pinion steering for a TR3A is in a TR4...and keep it in that car. ;-) I can think of no aspect of properly functioning early TR steering that is that so greatly improved by adding the R&P, especially when one considers the costs involved. Of course, I'm more than old enough to have grown up around cars that didn't have R&P (or power assist on steering, or brakes, or....)! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Andrew;
When I bought my TR3 I had two inch of play (scary). I contacted every supplier I was aware of as well the old Triumph list, No one had the worm and did not know when or if they would get them. TRF, MOSS US and MOSS UK, VB. Revington said I could ship my old box to them and they would rebuild it. They would not sell the part! So I needed to make a choice wait til who know when or purchase a R&P. Well I did the R&P and am very happy I did.

"I can think of no aspect of properly functioning early TR steering that is that so greatly improved by adding the R&P"

Andrew you must not have parked in a tight spaced parking lot ever! With one finger on the steering wheel I can pull in a parking spot or pull out. That could not be achived with worm and peg steering.

traddict

Freshman Member
I've had a R&P unit packed away I got from Arizona TR guru Bob Schaller over ten years ago. He charged me about $300 back then. He fabricated them in his machine shop. He describes it in his book "More BS About Triumphs" I believe was the name of the book. He was a great guy to talk TR's with. He used cut down tr4 R&P with spitfire tie rod ends and custom cut steering rod and fabbed mount for the R&P. I'm going to install it on my 3A one of these days. Really....
Has anybody out there got one of Bob's units on their car? I have no idea how many he sold.

Larry in Virginia
59or61 3A (title says 61, body tag says 59, I'll figure it out someday)
64 TR4
67 TR4A ( got it when I was 16, I'm 50 now)

64 and 67 are currently "under restoration" but I just like to look at them...

OP
T

TFR

Jedi Trainee
I called British Car Restorations and Tyson said the conversion was $1200.00 US. I can't believe that the kit costs $1200.00 but I gues you pay for the mods and R&D.
I am game to fabricate my own but need at least a starting point.
Any help would be appreciated on parts and recommendations.

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just checked at Revingtons,

RTR3202L MORE STEERING RACK CONV TR3A SPLIT COL
Steering rack conversion. TR3A split column LHD.
Ex VAT: £437.75 Inc VAT: £514.36 That work out to $1,013.48 US shipping not included.

This system is a weld in unit, one thing to remember is that you lose your stator tube. You will need to reroute your turn signals and horn. Larry you will need to have a split column on any conversion you go with.