• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best place to find MGs?

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I have a friend that's interested in obtaining an MG. I've advised her on which years I thought would be good, and which years I thought she should stay away from considering our current state's laws. She told me she's been poking around on the net lookin at MGBs and some of the prices that she rattled off just about floored me. Stuff like "decent driver" at 10K... she might have been getting her numbers mixed up, but that seemed a bit high to me.

I thought I'd ask you folks for the best way to actively seek a MG for purchase. She's expressed interest in Midgets, Sprites, and MGBs, but hasn't decided on which she really wants to get. I kind of fell into my car, so I'm not very much help in how to find them... but I can certianly help her when it comes time to look at a car that is in question.

Thanks

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Is she a car person? Is she married to one? What's her history with automobile ownership? Will it be a 2nd car or her primary?

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
How about at MG 2006? If she doesnt find it there, she at least can get a better idea of the model,year,etc.
Im fairly new to MG's, but when I would go to Mustang shows, there were tons for sale.

Newkie

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
See, I asked the questions above to try to determine if she's an LBC or Miata-type person...while I really want new blood in the hobby, I want new blood that's not going to coagulate & cause grief in the long run....some people can handle LBC ownership, others (while they may dream to own) shoudn't as they'll cause more harm to the hobby & their LBC than we need

...if she really wants one & can handle it, they're easy to find....she probably needs a good daily driver that someone on the BBS is ready to move for another project.

Steve_S

Yoda
Here are the usual places I looked when I was shopping for a B/C GT for over a year:

NAMBGR Classifieds
eBay
MG Enthusiasts' BBS Classifieds
Random Internet Searches
Hemmings Online
Recycler.com
Various Car Club Web Sites / Newsletters
A few other places I can't remember now!

There is no one best place, the right car at the right price will simply present itself seemingly at random. I never expected to buy a car listed on eBay, but that's where I ended up finding mine. Bought my MGA from an ad in Hemmings and the YB Saloon car was found in an online classified. The TC was found in a local MG club newsletter.

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I've found some great buys on Craigslist. Bought 3 of them off the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone had a '76 B on the Atlanta craigslist for $1000, I think. It had been parked for three years, but was complete. Looked ok in pics. That could be a bit challenging initially, but I've known people who have paid more for less.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
YB Saloon...that's my next quest...

Steve_S

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
YB Saloon...that's my next quest...

[/ QUOTE ]A man with exquisite taste, I see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
who can resist the crank handle for dead battery days!?! plus YBs are a class of their own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tony: She's a single mom and has a daily driver already. She seems more factinated by Sprites and Midgets (and possibly Healeys... though these may be beyond her price range) than the larger MGs. She tells me she's not afraid to get grease under her nails, but may need a coach for the more challenging tasks... Since she has two sons, I believe an LBC(s) acquired would be a secondary to her current car. Dunno how much of a car person she may be, but she certianly knows more about cars (different makes, and basic mechanics) than most women I know (not counting Jaybird... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
With 2 boys, I'd steer her to an MGB or MGB GT

Steve_S

Yoda
If she likes Healeys but can't afford one, what about an MGA? Women typically love the body style. Just make sure she is prepared for the "in your face" vintage motoring the MGA offers.

If she would like to go for a ride in one feel free to bring her by my place. She can check out the GT as well.

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
If she likes Healeys but can't afford one, what about an MGA? Women typically love the body style. Just make sure she is prepared for the "in your face" vintage motoring the MGA offers.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif My wife had a spitfire previous to the white MGA....says she'd never want anything other than the MGA now...I even offered to trade her for the LE(temporarily, so I could get break from fixing the MGA)but no dice.
Her MGA is far from a show car, it's a driver with all the marks and bangs to prove it....but it's well loved.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
talked to her a bit more about it today. she's just window shopping this year... If things go well she'll start searching agressively within the next year or so.