• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Side Shifting Tri Carp

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Okay, now I think I am in the right place. I'm a brand new owner of a 1961 Austin Healey 3000 MK II BT7, side shifter tri carp; Car # H-BTU-L/15367; Engine # 29E-RU-H/1695; Body Number 15494.

I have a ton to learn, but I was curious if anyone would know if the Car # and the Engine # seem like they are matched for the correct year?

Also, I can't figure out how to upload pictures of my car.

SideShifter Tri-Carb

Country flag
Yes, they are certainly correct for MKII. The only way to know for sure if they are all matching numbers is to get your Heritage Certificate, which I have to verify my numbers. Your car # is about 440 before mine and your engine number is 500 before mine, and the body number is about 380 before mine. Looking at the car# as the fixed number, the others are 60 units away from it, which is within reason to me and are most likely original.

The cool thing about the certificate is that it gives the birthdate of the car and where it was shipped. It will provide all numbers including transmission, differential, and key #. Any options that were done at the factory are also included. Mine was shipped to Dusseldorf, Germany before arriving in VA and eventually GA, to now NC.

OP
stretchit2

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Great information. I have a photo copy of a British Motor Industry Heritage Trust, and those numbers match what I can find on the car. I have ordered a new certificate providing only the Car #, will be interesting to see the response. The build date (s) were 13-19 September 1961, delivered to Florida, USA. I was told it was not normal to see a tri-carb with a side shifter, is that true?

SideShifter Tri-Carb

Country flag
stretchit2 said:
Great information. I have a photo copy of a British Motor Industry Heritage Trust, and those numbers match what I can find on the car. I have ordered a new certificate providing only the Car #, will be interesting to see the response. The build date (s) were 13-19 September 1961, delivered to Florida, USA. I was told it was not normal to see a tri-carb with a side shifter, is that true?

Mine was October 16-17, and just celebrated 49 years. The change occurred in late October of 1961, which would have been past the midpoint of the MKII production run. I would say that most MKII's made were sideshift. Now, how many exist today, I don't know. You have to also look at the point that a lot of people have converted their gearboxes to centershift for smoother action. I am more of a purist and want to keep the sideshift "feature", hence my forum handle, "sideshifter tri-carb".

66ejag

Fyi, my tri-carb side shifter was built the third week of October in 1961, except mine is a 2-seater (BN7-L/15880).

Ed S.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have opened a free account on Photobucket.com. Upload your photos there and then copy the image info and paste into your post on this forum.
Here's my sideshifter in my 1960 BN7 MkI
IMG_1483.jpg

Superwrench

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My 62 Tri-carb side shift is HBT7L/14283 3067BT7 14450L engine 29E/RU/H668 Has factory hardtop, overdrive and adjustable steeing column. Built June 2 to 5 1961 Exported to Dusseldorf Germany Nice interior Tim ! Quick :cheers:

SideShifter Tri-Carb

Country flag
66ejag said:
Fyi, my tri-carb side shifter was built the third week of October in 1961, except mine is a 2-seater (BN7-L/15880).

Ed S.

Ed,

A much desired model at that. Did you know your car was the last registered sideshifter? Every 3000 produced after yours was a straight shift. Pretty cool. I have always quoted that number and it stuck out when I saw it. This also proves that it was October and not November, as some have mistakenly quoted, when the change occurred - unless they took a week off for Halloween.

OP
stretchit2

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Now I figured it out. Here are a couple more images of my '61 Mk II. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Stretch

IMG_9450.jpg

IMG_9454.jpg

61AustinHealey1.jpg

61austin1.jpg

66ejag

Olin,
Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected that it may be the last side-shifter. Some of the data I had seen indicated that #15880 was a BT7. However, I am the original owner and also have the Heritage Trust Certificate. It was ordered in March '61 and delivered in December in Philadelphia. There were the usual auto or dock strikes in England during this period.

Thanx and have a good day,
Ed S.

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
66ejag said:

Ed S.

Ed,
I also have a 2 seater BN7 TRI CARB built early 1961 HBN7L 14108. Engine #29E 165 Side shift no overdrive, disc wheels, factory 354 gear, Old English White, Red interior. Also I have addtional engine 29E 444 Which came with a story that the owner was caught cheating on his wife and when she found out she took his Healey and crashed it into a concrete wall then proceeded to beat the car to bits with an ax. Judging by the condition of the engine ( full of sludge, head cracked between the valves) He didn't have any more respect for the car than he did his wife.
Have you registered your BN7 with Bill Bolton? I have the list of all the tri carb bn7's that where registered prior to 2004 available if you would like a copy of it. I will look on the list some day this week to see if your car is listed.
Bob

OP
stretchit2

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ed,

The rath of a woman scorned is pretty powerful stuff. Just another good reason to behave.

Stretch