• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Side mirrors for early cars?

RickB

Yoda
You know, the cars that don't have wing windows, roll up windows in the doors, outside door handles, you know the type...

I remember someone using some mirror that could be put on the side of the windshield post? Connected to the bolts that hold the windscreen on? Looking for ideas, and pictures if you've got'em.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Rick..these are likely what your looking for...I bought these on ebay and have the Lucas etching but there are repro's available...you just replace the back windshield bolt with the post and it usually takes a slight tweaking to keep them from scraping the door...although I will tell you they aren't too great for seeing...about all they do is give a glimpse if something moves next to you...

Attachments

• 20008.jpg
    20008.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,029

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I did this to my '63
Pictures (if they load by then)

Old thread on it

My observations:
Cheap, look good, useable but not great. Doors clear okay but side curtains won't. I like the look of the wing mounted ones better and will probably get some (on sale at VB right not for $10 each!) Yes, must drill holes but I can do it. Yes can be in the way when working on engine but how long can it take to remove if you need to? One minute? They just look right on that vintage car. IHMO. I'll sell you my frame mounted ones if you want.

My motorcycle ones seem to have a longer stem then those pictured above, which maybe why they fit a bit better and are more usable. I'm very happy with the usability of mine, just not when running side curtains. Great option if you don't want to drill holes in your fenders.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
RickB said:
You know, the cars that don't have wing windows, roll up windows in the doors, outside door handles, you know the type...

For future reference they are the

Midget MK I or
Sprite MK II

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I used a Harley mirror in the front hole of the windshield post of my 1959 Sprite MKI. I found the thread pattern to be the same as the captured nut. The mirror works better for me in the front hole. Better visibility.
Charlie

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Ok, so my attempt at humor fell flat - at least for Bill L...

Thanks guys, one thing about not having the side mirrors is that it really forces you to look around a lot - which is probably a good thing.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Sometimes taking my eyes off what's in front of me, even for a split second for a head check, is nerve wracking. I'm leaning heavily toward wing mirrors again. Maybe convex for the passenger side. Heck my paint job stinks anyway. I've got nothing to lose really.

Hairyone

Jedi Trainee
I've got some on my frogeye in the windscreen mounts (the ones nearest the back) & they do interfere with the sidescreens when fitted. You can open the door about 3/4, so enough to get in if you're careful.
I haven't tried fitting them in the forward holes, or don't know if they would work there. I was considering door mounting them as a previous post here.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I'm pretty sure if I moved the passenger one to the front hole it would sit totally behind the windshield frame and be useless.

68_sprite

Jedi Hopeful
I have a "later" model, one of them fancy ones with roll up windows....I have been thinking about "overtaking' mirrors that clamp on the windshield and are removable. Anyone tried them?

It was a pain to adjust the fender mounts on my old car. The option that jvandyke did looks good, not sure how it would be with the later model as the side windows might get in the way.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My mirrors are wayyyyyyyy out front. Some people don't like them there, but I do. Not good if you don't want to drill though. Luckily, mine were put there 40 some years ago, so I didn't have to make that decision.
grin.gif

Attachments

• 20013.jpg
    20013.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 943

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
scoutll said:
My mirrors are wayyyyyyyy out front. Some people don't like them there, but I do. Not good if you don't want to drill though. Luckily, mine were put there 40 some years ago, so I didn't have to make that decision.
grin.gif

They look good to <span style="font-style: italic">me</span>.

My car, too, already had the fender mirror installed, on the driver's side. There was an antenna at the same location on the passenger side, which I replaced with a matching mirror. Visibility is fine.

Myself, I like the look of fender mounted mirrors.

PICT0023.jpg

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
this is what I plan to do.
It will work on the driver's side OK, not sure about the right. Will clear the side curtains. No holes to drill in the new paint, then change mind about where I want them.
Scott in CA

Attachments

• 20015.jpg
    20015.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 891

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Looks like the same mirrors I have although your stem is straighter. I don't think the passenger one will be functional at all, could be wrong.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
KSIS said:
A cheap alternative is the style I used on my Midget. They clamped onto wing window with set screws. I dodnt want to drill holes in the new paint. Worked fine and adjusted well.

https://www.cardomain.com/id/ksiskin

Funny you should mention that, was looking last night on ebay for exactly that. My bullet mirrors are completely decorative and I really should get something.

where did you get yours? and how does it actually attach - not the set screws, I get that, but do the screws hurt the glass or is there rubber or something?

Thanks

68_sprite

Jedi Hopeful
if you are looking on ebay, try a search using "peep mirrors" for US sellers and "overtaking mirrors" for UK choices. That is exactly what I have been looking for. Didn't want to drill in new paint either.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Thanks!

I think I'd be interested in the type that can connect to the side of the windscreen frame, that seems like it might give better visibility and be easy to remove if needed.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Rick,

When I had my `59 Bugeye; I mounted a pair of "Raydot" Racing Mirrors in the Rear Mounting Holes on the Windscreen. Yes; They did interfere with the Side Curtains but How often do you use them?

Anyways; Here`s a pic (Not my car but pretty much the same); Showing the same "Raydot" Mirrors in the same mounting area. They`re not inexpensive but look Great & Work as well.

Have Fun,

Russ

Attachments

• 20020.jpg
    20020.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 900

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Here's one of the clamp on styles but, we've moved away from the "early cars", obviously there is no quarter light to clamp to on a side curtain car.
These were also discussed here somewhere, and I think you can't use the window as a vent anymore, or something.

quarter light clamp mirror