• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Two screw or single bolt side view mirrors?

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The concours guide says my 1965 3000 could be equipped at the dealer with either the two screw side view mirrors or the single bolt. I think the single bolt has a cleaner finished appearance and would probably be more resistant to vandals, but you have to drill a big hole in your car to mount them. Plus I'm not sure if they look better on the doors or the fenders...

What doth the board thinketh??

Country flag
The single bolt type are usually spring-loaded and retain their postioning when bumped. If you do elect to use two-screw type, be sure to use stainless threaded hardware with Nyloc nuts, as sheet metal screws will vibrate and/or strip themselves out.

Personally, I think the mirrors look best when mounted on the fenders, at the centerline of the front wheels. Not an isolated opinion, as I see LOTS of Healeys with similarly mounted mirrors.

Anybody saying that mirrors are not affective at that distance from the driver NEEDS to sit in my Healey, as the view from properly adjusted mirrors is astounding. Seriously.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Randy,
Do your mirrors have flat glass, or are they convex?

Country flag
GregW said:
Hi Randy,
Actually, I have both. While the flat mirrors were adequate, the convex ones allow me to see the back of my own head...

:wink:

OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randy Forbes said:
GregW said:
Hi Randy,
Actually, I have both. While the flat mirrors were adequate, the convex ones allow me to see the back of my own head...

:wink:

Given my foliclly challenged hair style, that would not be good for me. I'd just be looking at the reflection of what is behind me.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
There are many places to install the mirrors on the wings.
Measure twice, cut once the saying goes.
Placement on the passenger wing may be affected by the rear view mirror. If you raise your rear view mirror, to help see over the boot top, that may block viewing the mirror on the passenger wing.

Every situation is different. Size of person, seat placement may affect that line of sight.

Here's looking at you kid.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I prefer mounting mirrors about 10-12" from the windshield on both front fenders on my BJ7. I used the single post mount and am happy with them. On the BN7 I used the door mounted mirror mfg. by Harley Davidson. They are of high quality and look nice. Got to remove them before putting up the side curtains though.

As for as originality goes if ordered from the factory they usually mounted them on the fenders near to center of WW as was noted. If ordered from dealers in the US they'd put them where ever the customer wanted them.

I suggest you check all out before deciding, it does make a difference as to your own height and personal tastes.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
The key is decide before you drill if you can get to the backside and put the nut on. I have one Healey with the mirrors mounted as per Randy, and I have mounted the mirror on the BJ8 on the door. I like that only because I can adjustment while seated in the car. The visability is less.

Jerry
BN4
BJ8