• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Miata seat install kit

Morris

Yoda
So, I am working on installing my Miata seats... which are totally awesome by the way!... and I have an idea for a kit I could manufacture that would allow someone to install Miata seats using a wrench and some hardware from their stock seats. Before I do that, I am wondering if anyone would be interested in such a kit.

Whaddaya say guys, if I make a kit that would allow you to bolt in Miata seats without cutting, drilling or welding for around $50, would anyone be interested in buying?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Morris,

I would have been. Definitely at the right price point. Think about MGB's and Triumphs as another market as well.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
ask me after a summer of vinyl - seriously

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
JP,

Do you need any parts for your seats? I will be junking mine most likely.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mine are fine Morris, thanks for asking. I suspect shipping would more than destroy any economy. Besides, the only mod I'd be inclined to make would be to switch to Red and then it would be new foam etc. etc. My wife wants Red, I don't mind the way it is so we'll see.

Do want to see pictures though

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this idea. Oh well.

I mounted the driver's seat yesterday. It is almost eery how well the seat fits and looks in the car. It really looks and feels like it was made for the Spridget.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Morris,

Did you drill new or make a set of adapters? Would be interested in seeing how you solved the issue.

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
sorry. been distracted lately. I would be interested in the kit. anyone have miata seats in a spridget with a rollbar? just wonder if theres any conflict.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Branson,

I've got them in a Spridget and there is more room than with standard Spridget Seats with headrests. Let's put it that way. Some rollba5s are different and taller than others and YMMV.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I promise I'm not hijacking the thread Morris but was thinking today, why Miata seats? I know there are at least 3 answers: 1. Miatas are convertibles/ Midgets are convertibles. 2. They have speakers 3. They are narrow enough. But, what about Kia seats or Hyundai seats - other than the speakers wouldn't they also work?

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Can't say. Probably... I am too lazy and poor to find out. I went with what others have bravely proven to be effective.

Seems like somewhere in the fog of my mind there is a memory of a thread or a website where Honda CRX seats are discussed.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
CRX Seats fit but are real tight. They also look a little like overstuffed armchairs in a Spridget.

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Yeah. Sorry.

I ended up welding some angle iron to the stock Miata sliders as they work soooo much better than the Spridget sliders. I may redo them though. I mounted the seats a little higher to make the car easier for my wife to drive... but her interest in driving seems low, so I may remount the seats to be more comfortable for me.

There are some slight interference issues with my roll bar and the passenger seat. The interference may be fixed by lowering the seats.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Good seller! I have this kit for the TR6, I could try fitting it into the Bugeye if anyone is serious about going this way...

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
I don't know... the kit on eBay sounds a lot nicer than what I was going to make. I don't have the ability to powder coat. Do you already have your seats Branson?