• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Miata Seat Install

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I picked up a pair of Miata seats to install in Midgie. Does anyone have tips and tricks on how to get them installed?

roofman

Jedi Knight
Search the Triumph forum, lots of info. on installing in a TR6 that might help you.

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
Hey Jim you can go to mrmikes and see detailed instructions on doing them or Tony's site the Autoist. I just got some fiero seats from the pull-a-part they look good in the car,good luck on the install.Alan

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not too long ago I seem to recall someone posting pictures of the rail mods - I remember a bolt with angled spacers

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I've got Miata Seats in Bugsy my '68 Sprite. Great upgrade and replacement for the old stock seats with crappy upholstery. You'll see my name mentioned on the post above. These seats are simple to install. You can reuse original inside front locating bolt with the seats. The other three mounting bolts will require new holes. Watch out for the brake line or is it fuel line on hte back Passenger Side when redrilling holes.

I used a piece of 1" square channel under the rear of the seats to raise them to level. Someone else used a piece of pipe cut at the proper angle to work as a mounting bolt adapter as the Miata floor is not totally flat like a Spridgets.

One of the neatest thing about Miata Seats is speakers in the headrests. Zipper is there but hidden well. I found a set of 6 x 9's in the rear deck and 4 headrest speakers a bit much for the Sony CD player. Had issues with blowing fuses at high power outputs after I added Bass Block Capacitors in the headrests. Caps were sucking up too much power. I disconnected speakers on Passenger Seat as 99.5% of the timeI drive by myself. It's sort of like driving with headphones on, sound is so much better.

Get the old seats out, read the post, and ask quesitons. Glad to help as I've been down this road already.

Magyar

Country flag
Hey Jim, Please take lots of pictures and log any bits of helpful information or hints that you come across. I'm planning that task for next winter's project. Does your new Miata seats have the speakers in the headrest? If so, do you intend to hook them up?

Good luck on your project.
Magyar

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
All Miata Seats come with speakers in the headrests. Zipper for access is really, really hidden. Hey seats are installed in Bugsy. Speakers are like driving with a headset on and really sound nice. I added a couple of Bass Blocker capacitors to keep the bass note from blowing the speakers and let the 6 x 9" provide bass. I'd recommend coming over from Columbus to do a trial fit / drive before you install. I did gain some additional seat / leg room with the roll bar as Miata Seats are thinner than Spridget seats. Not that I need Leg room at 5'6" but I still drive with seats as far back as I can get them.

Magyar

Country flag
Thanks Jim, I am looking forward to a road trip to Dayton as soon as the weather breaks. Hopefully we can get together, and I'm also planning to stop by the Airforce museum, it's be awhile.

Another note for anybody looking for Miata seats or anyother part, I found a great web site for car parts, www.car-part.com. You list the year of interest, Make/Model, Part, location, sort by, and your zip. I found a great selection of Miata seats available all over the USA. Not sure at this point if they are really there, but I plan to pick up a pair in my travels within the next year for a next winter project.

Happy Hunting

OP
jhorton3

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Miata seats were installed this weekend. Passenger side easier than driver's side. I made the angle cut PVC adapters for the angled original Miata rails. Front PVC pieces are cut at a 20 degree angle on my bandsaw. I had the wife come out to test the placement of the seats on the floor before drilling and bolting. Glad I did as we got them where both of us can adjust for driving or riding.

We're very impressed by the improved ride quality with these seats over the originals. Granted they originals needed to be revamped but wife never liked the feel of the original style in good condition. In the Miata seats our behinds aren't sliding around all over the place, and they are more comfortable for us. We took a 40 mile round trip today which is something we haven't done for over 6 months. Very comfortable. Will be glad to get carpet and panels installed hopefully in the near future.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
WTG

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Jim,

I'd just be a little nervous using PVC adapters in getting the mounting bolts straight. Granted they are only spacers to get some angles corrected but I'd think about at least using a solid piece of oak better yet a piece of steel pipe like someone else did. I hesitated working with such small pieces with my bandsaw as I didn't want to get a new nickname "Les Digits".

My solution simply used a 1" piece of square tubing under the back of the seat. The tubing raises the seat back, makes the seat slides level, and changes the angle of the bolt so they are just about straight up and down. Some big bolts and multiple fender washers and you are set. The 1" tube also adds some rigidity to the floor and spreads the load.Pics are available if desired.