• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Miata seat for TR6

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I read a post a few pages back on aftermarket seats, the how to improve a TR6 talks about miata seats. has anyone done this? I was thinking about refurbishing my original seats but after seat foam kits, leather kit and labor I would have around 1000-1100 in the seats and I can get miata seats for 125 a pair and 500 for leather covers plus they probably feel better too,,,,, comments?

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
I have miata seats for my TR4A, I think they are a wonderful fit and feel. Currently they are not installed as the restoration continues, but I have set them in the car and tested how they fit, feel, etc. I think the speakers in the headrests are a definite bonus! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tomshobby

Yoda
First of all it is your car and you can do whatever you want.
Second you probably will not be making irreversable changes.
Third, if you do this be sure and keep the TR seats, you may later decide to put them back.
Third take a lot of vitamin suppliments so you grow very thick skin. That way when the TR and Miata people tease you won't be too embarrassed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lots of info on the web on this . I have an article on brackets and install somewhere in my hard drive.
don

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
I installed cloth geo tracker seats. They required extensive modification to the mounting bracket as they were not designed for a level surface. Cost $125 for the pair.

It has made the ride much smoother. I also like the higher headrest.

Turned out to be a good decision. Along with the air shocks in the rear and larger tires, the ride is softer than my regular sedan.
jeff3113

milemarker60

I chose the Miata seats for my TR6 mainly for the ease of installation and comfort. I looked into many aftermarket seats available such as Corbeau, Hopkirk, etc. and then started measuring everything I could find from BMW, Porsche, Honda etc. I just kept coming back to the Miata ones. I followed the instructions found in Williams' book for the brackets and they went in very easily. They are not a racing type seat but they certainly will add a new level of comfort and support to your TR6 over the originals and they really look pretty good.

I paid $350 delivered for mine on eBay. They were removed from a 12K mile car, covered in tan leather, speakers installed and in perfect shape. Can't complain.

G

I'll say ahead of time - it's your car you do what you want, but I found this quote really depressing for some reason...

[ QUOTE ]
Along with the air shocks in the rear and larger tires, the ride is softer than my regular sedan.

[/ QUOTE ]

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
I'll say ahead of time - it's your car you do what you want, but I found this quote really depressing for some reason...

[ QUOTE ]
Along with the air shocks in the rear and larger tires, the ride is softer than my regular sedan.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
interesting comment considering it's twice the car that came off the line in 1975..../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif Must be that Japanese innovation in my blood.

If I wanted to keep anything stock I would have bought a 75 mercedes SL instead.

be good!
jeff3113

G

I wasn't talking about keeping it stock - I meant the "softer" bit. I always equated "sports car" with "stiff"...

bcouz

Freshman Member
I am also looking to change my seats in my '71 TR-6. Has anyone tried the Stafford seats from Victoria British?

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
Something this light handles well with the oversize tires. Quick ratio powersteering makes turning a one-finger effort. Biggest positive thing after seat, tires and shock upgrades is my spine is now intact -even after potholes and railroad tracks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif
jeff3113

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Up date, I have purchased a set of miata seats, 140 at the salvage yard, I spent sunday making the floor mounts using angle Iron, and attaching angle iron pieces to the seat tracks and then drilling holes to attach the seat to the frame. So Far so good. I used an old TR6 seat track as a pattern to make the floor frame and drill holes where they should be, so it should fit the existing holes in the floor. I orderd a leather seat kit so once it gets here the recovering begins, new speakers in the head rest. So in goes the new carpet, run the wires for speakers, install the floor brackes bolt the seats in an away I go. Maybe this project will go off with out a hitch? fingers crossed. I know its not a stock TR but neither are the webers, MDS spark system, Electric fuel pump, walnut stereo mounting that replaced the missing aluminum one... and I am sure the red color is not corret, seems like I read in Previous owner its Honda red