• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help Brake servo has me stumped

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm down to the last thing I need to rebuild prior to reassembling my car next Wednesday and I need some help. I need to rebuild the servo for the brakes and I can’t get the servo to open. I'm pretty sure its tap the tabs over till they line up and then pull the rear plate off but so far it hasn't budged and I'm running out of ideas. Are there any tricks out there that would help other than the 5 pound Mr. Attitude adjuster?

DAL

Freshman Member
This thread has a method that worked great for me...

https://www2.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?r...101901471513138

Here's the text from theat thread:

Posted 23 October 2000 at 06:15:25 UK time
Patrick Long, Illinois, USA, plong@patents-tm.com
Have done the brake servo overhaul, not hard but not a snap either (no special tools involved. The AP Lockheed brake servo repair (Moss) comes with instructions (somewhat).

There are two tricks: One is to separate/put together the two halves of the servo housing (they twist off). The second is getting to the nuts on the inside of the brake pedal box that hold the servo to the pedal box

After taking off the MBC from the servo, take off the lid of the brake pedal box to access the top two nuts holding the servo to the box. Then go through the brake/clutch pedal opening in the cockpit to get to the lower 2 nuts holding the servo to the box. Trick using the 1/4 soket wrench set, use the socket, then a unversal connector, then a 2 foot long extension rod connected to the wrench. This will give you ther manuarability to get to those lower nuts.

Once the servo is off the pedal box, put several nuts (5/16 SAE Fine) on the two servo bolts that hold the MBC to servo. Tighten the nuts so all of thier flats line up. Then put the nuts into a bench vice to secure the servo (This avoids damage to the threads of the servo bolts.

Now put nuts on the four bolts (that are in a 2,4, 8 and 10 o'clock positions)which hold the servo to the pedal box. Place a ring spanner on one set of nuts/bolt (2 o'clock) so it rest down against a lower set of nuts/bolt(4 o'clock). Place a spanner on the set of nuts/bolt (8 o'clock) so the spanner rests up against the upper set of nuts/bolt (10 O'clock). Use the two wrenches to the twist the back end of the servo off to acccess the inside of the servo. Be careful servo has a big spring in it.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Pay close attention to the last line
"Be careful, the servo has a big spring in it."

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
huh... I wish I would have ask this question when I went to do mine... I ended up giving up thinking that I would need a press to get it open and back together and just bought one on ebay... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif