• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

E brake help forgo many Big Healey owners

JSabah

I have an AH rear end on my Daimler SP250 that came without any emergency /handbrake components. I was able to locate all of the components (swivel, rods, clevis pins, brake levers etc) and am trying to dry fit them before powder coating the components themselves and the axle housing but found that the bracket which was originally welded to the housing (on the right side) was ground off and tossed by the PO. I believe I can find the correct location that will work and have a new bracket made up and welded on, but it looks like it will attach directly over the chassis tube on the right side and am concerned about any clearance issues (also wondering if there are any clearance issues with the rods themselves). If there is anybody who can post or send me pictures of an AH (BJ8 or 3000) rear end insitu (especially on an SP250) it would be greatly appreciated as my body is still off as are obviously my wheels so I can not see how the car sits on the frame/suspension (which is the original leaf springs/dampers). I realize that the chassis are not the same, but I just want to confirm the location/installation. Thank you.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This shows the position of the mechanism behind the axle:
https://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/image/154077587
This is the bracket which welds to the axle:
AxleBracket.jpg

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
While on the subject of handbrakes can i hijack the thread for a quick question. If after adjusting the brakes at the drums, the handbrake lever still pulls up too far does that mean I need a new cable. I understand there is no possibility of adjustment.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Derek
Same problem- I work a lot on it -on cable -on levers -drm- shoes
finally my old experienced mechanics find the exact solution moving the shoes-- BUT no one of us understand exactly what was the point that give the good result-now the car have new drum (balanced) modified levers etc. etc and a E-brake
worthy his name
My help can be this
after all this work, I have discovered that AHead4 modified the rear- long and short links-
with a adjustable end
https://www.ahead4healeys.co.uk/LINK-ROD---SHORT-id4790.aspx
this is a key for shorting the hard work to have a E-brake efficient:smile:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
While on the subject of handbrakes can i hijack the thread for a quick question. If after adjusting the brakes at the drums, the handbrake lever still pulls up too far does that mean I need a new cable. I understand there is no possibility of adjustment.

My lever mount was broken inside the tunnel, allowing too much lever movement - made a simple brace to fix it:
https://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/image/140695876

OP
J

JSabah

This shows the position of the mechanism behind the axle:
https://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/image/154077587
This is the bracket which welds to the axle:
View attachment 32058
Thanks Steve. This is helpful. Do you happen to have the overall length of the welded bracket and the slots? I assume that there is some adjustment there. Also, is it welded as shown to the bottom of the axle, or are any placed on the top. I was planning on making my own bracket using 1" square tube (the top will obviously be trimmed away) 1/8" thick wall....or are they available to purchase? I have the shown lower part with the swivel and rods(although I may have to lengthen and shorten them based on where I need to place the welded bracket). I have not been able to find any clear pictures, but I think I have it mostly figured out....just working on understanding how the cable works...looks like it should have some type of clamp that would hold the cable casing in position allowing the inner cable to act. Any clear pics or additional sketches are very much appreciated. Thank you, Josh