• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front shroud and fenders

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am finishing up painting the outer body panels and assembling them on the car. I think I can bolt the fenders to the shroud and then spread the fenders just a little and slip them on the car in one piece. I don`t want to run the risk of scratching the fenders by leaning over them and bolting the fenders on. Yea I know what I sound like. thanks Skip

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My advise Skip, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif Don't try it,besides the shroud must be sealed to the scuttle and the front brace.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
I agree. The finest fit and finish jobs require block sanding and color painting after assembly of the fenders, doors, etc.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. The finest fit and finish jobs require block sanding and color painting after assembly of the fenders, doors, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most assemble the fenders onto the shroud loosely, then paint, allowing paint to go down into crevice. You can tighten later on. Of course you can paint the inside of the fenders off the car. When it comes time to install the fender beading don't forget to tape the sharp ends before sticking in the crevice formed from the fender to the shroud. Click on the attachment above for a photo of my car ready to be painted.

Attachments

• 96290-readytopaint.jpg
    96290-readytopaint.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 172
OP
S

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Johnny thats something like what I was going to do. I have the fenders and shroud already painted color sanded and buffed out. This is how I am able to get a really glossy finish right up to the beading. No one will ever see it but the shroud and fender flanges are a glossy as the outer parts.I was going to install the beading without the fenders on the shroud then bolt the fenders on loosely and slip the entire thing over the car. I took them off that way I don`t see why I can`t put them back in the same manner. Skip

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Skip,

Your attachment is not working when I click on it.
As to your original question, I think you could install the shroud and fenders as one piece if you have enough helping hands at both sides, front and rear (seems like you would need at least 3 people to avoid scratching anything). The problem areas would be getting the fenders to go around the hinge shut face (considering you need to do both at the same time). You also need to look at the small shroud attachment panels that get riveted to the shroud and bolt onto the top of the inner fender. Getting to those with the fenders on may be difficult.

Cheers,
John

bluemg

Skip
What about the shroud being sealed to the scuttle and front braces, could you explain that further?????

OP
S

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was going to apply the sealer before I slipped the shroud and fenders on then push the shroud down onto the bead of sealer and fasten it down. I have 3 sets of extra hands but after hearing from others I guess I will bolt the fenders on after the shroud is on the car. Skip

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi John, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gifVery good points, also do not forget to mention the two rivets at each side which attach the shroud to the scuttle. If the front end was removed as Skip indicated then the car had been dismantled by others and improperly reassembled.---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I was going to apply the sealer before I slipped the shroud and fenders on then push the shroud down onto the bead of sealer and fasten it down. I have 3 sets of extra hands but after hearing from others I guess I will bolt the fenders on after the shroud is on the car. Skip

[/ QUOTE ] OH! and do not forget to put a line of"caulking" about 1" wide and about 1/2" deep all the way across the scuttle set about 1/2" back from the fire wall to form a heat seal between the shroud/scuttle and firewall.Do not put any presure on the shroud other than that required to line up the rivet holes inside the cockpit and the screw holes on the engine side of the shroud. Caulking that squeezes out should be forced back into the crevice with your finger. This is in addition to what ever sealer you have chose to use.-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif--Keoke

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Better have lot's of help. Make sure the motor is in also. Are you sure you can bolt the shroud in completely with the fenders on? Just asking, I really don't know. One area of concern is where the front shroud fits onto the two frame rails. Also make sure the doors are protected as the fenders might come in contact with them.

OP
S

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You are probab;y right Keoke this car had the front end replaced several years ago following a fire that started from the intake drains dripping onto the hot exhaust. Skip