• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Rimmer Brothers Replacement Front Wing Quality?

1957BRGTR3

Freshman Member
Country flag
Has anyone purchased a replacement front wing for a TR3 from Rimmer Brothers? I'm curious what the quality of the stampings is and how difficult it is to fit. I purchased the replacement rear apron section from them last year and had a difficult time getting the spare tire cover to fit, I tried multiple covers, but modification was still needed to make them fit decently. I just want to get an idea before I spend $1100. The wing I have looks like it got in a fight with a Leyland bus and lost. Thanks, Trevor

Joel Lester

Country flag
Hi Trevor,
I can't comment on the quality of the wing replacement but I can tell you that these cars are hand built and every single body piece that I've dealt with always seems to take a little fitting here and there. For example, I got a hard top for my TR3 and you would think that it just "bolts right on". I was really surprised at the amount of tweaking I had to do. And yes, even my back spare tire cover was kinda hard to get right. I guess it's just the nature of working on these beasts!
Good luck though.
Joel

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi Trevor,
I agree with Joel. My experience is that even used parts off of the original cars are often difficult to fit. About six years ago I bought a dog-legged panel ( fits behind the door on the TR3) from TRF. They warned me before I bought it that it was a poor stamping and fitting would be difficult. I only needed the lower 3-4" and felt like trying to duplicate the piece was not a good idea. Well they were correct. Fortunately it did give me enough shaped metal that I could then reshape what I needed.
During my restoration I had three rear fenders. The one that came on the car ( probably not original to this car) it was in very rough shape. I bought a used second one that had been worked on a bunch to fit the sellers car. I tested it on my car and it needed some reshaping to fit my car. Unfortunately that one was destroyed in a fire before I got to use it. So I found a used third one and still had a lot of work to get it to fit my car.
I suspect my car was as much of the problem as were the used parts that I bought. But getting used sheet metal to fit takes time and some skill.
Charley

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Trevor. If you might consider a Original RF wing....
needing the usual patch panel... have one I am ready to let go.
Have box on hand....if you are interested.
(fraction of the repo price.) California part.

Gil. NoCal

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The best parts are labeled as approved by "British Heritage", which seems to be a group in the UK who assures parts meet a minimum level of originality. Ask them. If they are not British Heritage approved, then my experience with Rimmer is their sheetmetal is not that good. I bought 2 seat pans that were just plain nasty. I had to send them to recycle, as they could not even be made to work after working on them for a week.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I am not sure where RImmer buys their body parts. I did buy a fender from MOSS and it did not fit . I had to cut off the bolting strip and re-weld it on to line it up with the capture nuts on the car. As said above, they are not the same as original parts. But it was better than the fender I had which looked like 20 teenagers hit it with a sledge hammer for days. I think I have enough body work experience to get most parts to fit now. It would be very hard if I expected it to bolt right on out of the shipping box.

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Suicide is where AM tr3 sheet metal will lead you, never consider either. Used is the only option,
they all have rust and dings. I have even delved into my trash pile and saved what I had previously
considered beyond all hope.If you find one that is pretty good CELEBRATE !! As a pro, even I have
spent as much as 30 hours on a tr3 front wing(X 60 $ per hr)
Mad dog

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Trevor. Unsure if you need a RF. Or. LF fender.
I only have RF... yes needs patch panel.
But only $175+ actual shipping.... if interested.
Gil. NoCal

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Trev, you should also be aware that the early fender (pre 60000) is slightly different
from the latter. Will work when given the proper massage, but is "off" at the lower front.
Mad dog