• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Considering upgrading brakes - Stainless Lines?

davidk

Jedi Trainee
Has anyone converted to Toyota calipers? There's a good article on the VTR website about the conversion:

https://www.vtr.org/maintain/brake-conversion.shtml

I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are problems with installation or front/rear proportioning with this setup.

I would also be interested in knowing the specific part number for the calipers if anyone knows it. The article also recommends Girling wheel cylinders (7/8") from a Sunbeam Tiger for the rear drums.

This would be for a 1974 TR-6.

Thanks for your help, David K.

G

Re: Considering upgrading brakes - Toyota calipers

You need to make a short custom hard line to go from the caliper to the flex hose. Other than that it's pretty simple.

Buy the rears from VB - they are only about $30 a pop, half the price of anywhere else. If you do a search either on this site or on 6-pack you'll find the part #s. Search for Morgan rather than Sunbeam.

71tr

Jedi Warrior

This is a very easy conversion. Rebuilt calipers are readily available and the custom hardlines can be purchased on ebay all ready to go for $30-$40 bucks. I can't remember the caliper part no. but believe they were off a '91 toyota p-up possibly 4-wheel drive.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight

before you put in the 7/8" rear wheel cylinders,first try tsimported kevlar rear brake shoes. then see if you need more rear bias.remember that you can adjust bias with the pad and shoe materials. you will probably go with upgraded pads with those calipers anyways so you should upgrade the read shoes as well.
Rob

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php has fully loaded Raybestos calipers for $79 each and that price includes the core charge. Its the best deal I could find and Rock Auto has good reviews. I dont have the number but if you bring up a Toyota pickup 4x4 79-84 you will find them. The fully loaded Raybestos are about half way down on the list. Stainless steel adapter lines are available for $39 at https://www.trparts.com/newitems/adapter.html --- for stainless steel at that price why make them.

71tr

Jedi Warrior

Yes, rockauto is where I purchased my toyota calipers. Very good company to work with.

OP
davidk

davidk

Jedi Trainee

Thanks for the great information! Did anyone need to install a proportioning valve?

David K.

G

not me.
works fine with toyo on the front and morgans on the backs as is.

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful

I have been considering this for my 3A. Any idea where to find the TR6 caliper mounting brackets. I don't check ebay for TR6 stuff... do they show up there?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

At one time, TRF carried the mounting bolts, don't know if that is still an option, though.

Randy

p.s. I may have answered this too quickly, but I seem to recall a writeup on the Toyota conversion that listed the original part needed and TRF was definitely a source.

p.p.s. Nope, I was right - TRF still has them for $8.50 a piece, pn 158668

71tr

Jedi Warrior

I've seen TR6 caliper mounting brackets on ebay from time to time.

Gwilhelm

I got my brackets from a guy who parts out LBCs in Tennessee. He may have some sets. PM me if you want his info.

Revington TR also has the brackets, but shipping might be more than they're worth. Stanpart part numbers 133499 and 133500

Gwilhelm

OH, The bolts in question are Stanpart number 158668. Those will match the Toyota calipers to the TR4-6 brackets without any mods.

OP
davidk

davidk

Jedi Trainee

I put together the following information from the above posts. Looks like it's time to start ordering parts! David K.

TOYOTA CALIPERS / MORGAN WHEEL CYLINDER BRAKE CONVERSION INFORMATION
(FROM VARIOUS BRITISH CAR FORUM POSTS)

The parts needed and the relevant Toyota references are:

Left Caliper: Toyota P/N 47730-35080
Right Caliper: Toyota P/N 47750-35080

Top Shims, springs and pins will be needed unless you get a fully kitted out caliper.

There are two types of shims- plain and "vented" , the vented go next to the pad, the plain against the caliper.

The springs go across the caliper to tension the pads, and a retaining clip goes between the pins. The required information:

Shims 1: Toyota P/N 47744 (set of 4)
Shims 2: Toyota P/N 47745 (set of 4)
Springs 1: Toyota P/N 47748 (set of 2)
Retaining Clips 2: Toyota P/N 47748A (set of 2)
Pins: Toyota P/N 47748B (not sure about the "B", the copy was not as good as it could have been, the P/N is for one)

The VTR article was written by a racer who would presumably regularly check his brakes. The stock disk is 1/2 inch; the Toyota caliper uses a 20mm disk (I think). I've a concern that the pistons will extend further than their normal range, so I will make a set of additional shims to fit under each pad to make up the difference. I've not yet done this, but it should help everything fit together happily, once I do get around to putting it all together again.

ISTR the #s are Cardone 17820 and 17821. Double check though - you want the ones from the 4WD.

https://www.rockauto.com fully loaded Raybestos with premium semi metallic pads for $77.99 each. 79-85 Toyota 4x4-p.u. and 84-85 Toyota 4runner. You can buy the TR6 late model metric mounting bolts that fit the Toyota calipers from TRF for 8.50 each, Victoria British wants around $9each. Don’t forget to trim off the dust shields 5/8" on each end. The Rock Auto part numbers for the calipers are RC3466 and 3465

The custom hard lines are available from https://www.trparts.com $39.00 for both (stainless steel).

Morgan rear wheel cylinders
VB - P/N 7-946.
Cost $29.95 each last year.

FYI, The only performance pads that seems to be available for the Toyota calipers, Axxis part number n1010-119099 (Ultimate Ceramics) available at https://www.drivewire.com

Mounting Bolts: TRF still has them for $8.50 a piece, pn 158668

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee

what about upgrading a gt6? if it fits a tr6, it seems like it should fit a gt6, since we share calipers.

the bias might be a little difficult to dial in though.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag

davidk said:
...The VTR article was written by a racer who would presumably regularly check his brakes. The stock disk is 1/2 inch; the Toyota caliper uses a 20mm disk (I think). I've a concern that the pistons will extend further than their normal range, so I will make a set of additional shims to fit under each pad to make up the difference. I've not yet done this, but it should help everything fit together happily, once I do get around to putting it all together again.

There are TWO sets of these four piston calipers that will "fit". There are those that go with SOLID rotors, and those that fit VENTED rotors. If you are using the regular solid rotors, you want the calipers that go with the solid rotors. I do believe that they are the Cardone #'s 17820, & 17821. We rebuild calipers where I work, and the numbers that I used were 820 & 821. Our # for the vented calipers I believe are 826 & 827 (Cardone 17826&7). I don't know if you can even use the vented rotor version, as I don't know what vented rotor would fit. Besides, they may interfere with the fitment of the wheels. When I get back to work tomorrow, I'll double check those numbers and the applications, and post back.

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior

drive wire no longer has the Axxis ceramic pads----www.brakewarehouse.com handles them now

PeterK

Yoda

Gee, when I did this on my 4A, I just bought a loaded set of calipers from my local parts store (A1 Cardone is good quality parts), cost was around $60 exchange for BOTH and I traded a junk pair that I bought from ebay for $15 to exhange. Came with all pins and hardware except for the late model TR6 bolts, around $8 each. This all bolted right up to the TR4A bracket after trimming the dust shield a little. It was a piece of cake conversion and cheap. Seems like you're looking at this like an accountant would while it really is bolt and go so don't over think it. Or you'll just end up with extra parts you don't need.

You will need to buy and bend a couple of short metric brake lines to fit the caliper, then bend and flare for the TR end fitting. Again cheap, not $39, more like $10. Make sure the adapter lines don't foul the coils at full lock.

Save the rear cylinders job until you know you'll need them. It isn't required but optional for optimal balance.
I used Morgan 7/8" on mine but the 3/4" you now have will work fine too.

G

The cardones bolt right up. I know 'cos I have them...
I used the drilled rotors, mainly because mine were pretty sad and they were on sale. Didn't go vented, because it looked like too much work to do the machining.