• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Drum Brakes Assembly

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey all,
Well, seem to be having stupid issues right now with driver's side rear brakes. I pulled the hub and then brake drum off, which did not come off easily. Had the adjuster all the way closed and shall we say, used a lead hammer to help it off. Don't get what I am doing wrong as all was okay - had a squeaking noise when moving slowly - but otherwise braking okay.

Now I can't get the bloody thing back on with same adjuster closed down. Or if I get it on, barely able to turn the brake drum. Brake shoes have been on so some wear but still relatively new. Read the manual and have done this several times before but think I have a brain block right now. Believe I read something at one time about making sure the brake shoes were oriented the correct way but cannot find that.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks
Mike

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Parking brake is off, right? The wheel cylinder sits in a slot in the backing plate. Does it move when you use/release the parking brake?

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Based on your original post, I’m assuming this drum went on and came off easily in the past. I’m also assuming you did not change any parts after you got the drum off. I’m also assuming you didn’t disassemble anything beyond removing the brake drum. If my assumptions are wrong, my advice could be wrong.

Check the wheel cylinder to make sure the piston is withdrawing into its cylinder. Sometimes they get hung up and won’t return completely. Also make sure the wheel cylinder is expanding and retracting when the adjuster screw is turned. Also check to make sure all the parts are free to move as intended. Sometimes the wheel cylinder and brake shoes hang up due to rust and road debris. You may need to disassemble, clean and reassemble all the brake parts and clean the brake backing plate. Make sure the shoes are sitting tight against the backing plate and yes, make sure the brake shoe orientation is correct. If you can’t find what you need in the manual, remove the drum on the other side and take a look. Finally, check the springs to see if they are tight when assembled and are able to return the wheel cylinder piston into its cylinder.

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey all,
Thanks for all the suggestions. Going to see what I have re the brake cylinder, parking brake, etc and like Legal Bill's idea of taking the opposite side brake drum off to see what I have there as no issues with that side. Assumptions are correct, nothing has been changed.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Was the hub removed in order to do brake work or to do work on the hub, just wondering? Was it difficult to remove the drum because there was interference with the brake shoes? Is the parking brake linkage in good order?

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Gentlemen,
Well, as far as I can determine, issue was one brake shoe was not tight against the backing plate which I assume threw everything off- thanks Legal Bill for mentioning that. Everything else matched the right side which does have the ability to adjust the brake linings with the brake adjuster. Driver's side adjuster is all the way closed and drum/wheel does turn okay. I'm using Moss brake shoes and wonder if the thickness might be
off a bit. Didn't measure as all back together now. On hard braking does pull to the right so guessing I need to adjust the right side a tad so they brake evenly. Thanks for your help as sometimes you can stare at the problem for hours and not come up with a solution.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Mike